Write Easy to Understand Copy With INK's Listicles Format Generator
INK's Listicles Format Generator
If you want to create engaging online content in an easy-to-read format, listicles may be the ideal option. This popular web style reduces the risk of information overload, so your article gets read. Turn your text blocks into a listicle in seconds using our free Listicles Format Generator.
Share Engaging Copy With INK Listicles Tool
INK's Listicles Format Generator can help you turn clunky text blocks into streamlined list-style content.
Main Listicles Takeaways:
- A listicle, also known as a list post, is a form of digital content usually written as a numbered list. It may be built around a collection of items, thoughts, information, actions, or ideas.
- Listicles may showcase simple topics that require only a headline and photo. Listicles can also break down complex topics into a form that's easier to understand.
- A listicle blog is a blog in which entries are in list format. Listicle posts may be mixed with entries in more traditional formats.
- Starting a listicle blog is identical to starting a traditional blog. The process requires finding a host, naming and designing the blog, and writing entries.
- When writing a list-style article, you should choose an interesting subject, set the number of entries, compose the text, and add images as appropriate.
- Some people equate listicle articles with clickbait, which can be a major downfall of this format. Avoid this label by creating realistic titles and following through with relevant content.
- INK's Listicles Format Generator helps you create eye-catching, engaging copy.
The modern world's fast pace has led content creators to design more streamlined, easy-to-read formats such as the listicle. By presenting ideas and information in this popular form, you can enhance readability and create better overall reader engagement. This can ultimately lead to more shareable content.
In this article, you'll learn what a listicle is and why many online media sites favor this popular form. We'll explore the basics of writing list-based articles, uncover common traits of good listicles, and discover the benefits of INK's Listicles Format Generator.
What Is a Listicle?
What Is a Listicle?
A listicle is a form of digital content that's written as a numbered list. This flexible, list-based framework is often used to highlight simple topics that consist of only a headline and photo. It can also be used to break more complex topics into bite-sized chunks.
Although the listicle format was once commonly associated with popular culture, publications ranging from BuzzFeed to The New York Times now use this form. In fact, some online media sites such as 11points.com post list-only content.
Here are several recent listicle examples:
65 Things That '80s Kids Haven't Thought About In Over 20 Years (This nostalgia-based article is a classic example of a simple one-page listicle .)
The 6 Most Ridiculous Things People Claimed to Legally Own (Counting down to number one, this listicle aims to be informative and entertaining.)
Vaccines & Pregnancy: Top 7 Things You Need to Know (Organizations such as the CDC are using list-style articles to package information in a reader-friendly format.)
100 Famous Quotes About Life That Will Inspire You (This listicle exemplifies how this format can work for long lists.)
5 Things You Might Not Know About Hillary Clinton (Even publications such as The New York Times are jumping on the listicle bandwagon.)
Types of Listicles
A listicle, by definition, is an article created in list form, but that doesn't mean this form is one size fits all.
Here are a few of the most common types of list-style articles:
- How-to lists: These numbered lists contain steps to follow to complete a specific task.
- Countdown lists: Writers typically number this type of listicle backward until it reaches number one. It ends with the most important item, tip, or information.
- Best-of lists: This type of curated list forms an opinion such as the best movies in a certain genre. It often starts with the words "The Top 10." Although ten is commonly used, other standard numbers for this type of list are 25, 50, or 100.
- Expert roundup lists: Roundup lists usually consist of information or advice gathered from experts in a particular industry or subject area.
What Does a Listicle Mean?
When you see the word listicle, meaning a list post, it signifies that content is formatted in list style. This lets you know that an article contains a series of thoughts, items, tips, or ideas that follow a specific theme. These listed items may be accompanied by text, images, links, or other relevant information.
What Is a Listicle Blog?
Essentially, a listicle blog is a personal or professional blog that consists of entries formatted as lists. This type of blog typically includes a fleshed-out written component in addition to, or in place of, a photo and headline. List-style entries are one of the most common types of blog posts currently written. They may be mixed with more traditional forms, depending on the subject of the entry.
How Do I Start a Listicle Blog?
Although listicle blogs may appear different to a reader, they can be started and maintained the same way as any other blog type.
Here are five easy steps to follow if you're interested in starting a listicle blog.
2. Name your blog. The name should reflect the subject and personality of your blog.
3. Design your blog. Most platforms include easy-to-use DIY design software that makes designing a blog a breeze.
4. Compose your first entry using tips for creating a good listicle. Many bloggers set a regular schedule for posting, so followers know when to expect new content.
5. Launch your blog. This may be as simple as selecting the option to go live.
How Do You Write a Listicle?
How Do You Write a Listicle?
Writing a listicle is almost as easy as writing a list and can be accomplished nearly as quickly. There are several easy steps you can follow to write successful list-based content.
13 Steps to Crafting a Good Listicle
Part 1: Planning
1. Choose your subject. Make sure your idea lends itself to list format. Try to find a unique or unusual angle on an interesting topic. So, instead of making a list of just vegan recipes, try listing vegan barbecue recipes suitable for family cookouts.
2. Decide on the number of entries. No matter what number you choose, make sure you have relevant content to accompany each entry. Many online content gurus recommend choosing an odd, prime, or unexpected number, such as 23.
3. Do your research. Each item on your list should be relevant to your subject, so make sure to research your topic thoroughly. Make sure your facts are accurate and can be backed up with solid research, if applicable.
4. Gather appropriate multimedia material. If you plan to enhance your content with relevant visual, audio, or link-based material, now is the time to collect it. Consider including images, videos, charts, or GIFs to illustrate your information. Just make sure you own the rights to the images or choose copyright-free designs.
5. Consider keywords: The right keyword can mean the difference between an article that gets clicked and one that doesn't. By planning, you can work your keywords thoughtfully and naturally.
6. Outline. One great way to organize your thoughts prior to writing is to outline your idea. By giving you a visual map of your article, outlining can help you arrange your list items for maximum impact.
Part 2: Writing
7. Create a compelling title. Your title should be specific, telling your readers exactly what they can expect. Instead of naming your article 9 Great Paint Colors for Bedrooms, opt for 9 Paint Colors that Create Unexpected Drama in Your Bedroom.
8. Create appropriate headlines for each entry. Make sure every headline reflects your listicle's title and is relevant to your overall subject. For example, if your title is 13 of the World's Scariest Superstitions, an entry headline might be The Bad Luck of Broken Mirrors. Headlines are also a great opportunity to incorporate relevant keywords where search engines are sure to see them.
9. Write your text. Remember: most list-style articles are intended to be concise, so stay on point and don't be overly wordy.
10. Conclude your post. If you're writing an article ranking several items in order of importance, save the best for last. Otherwise, concluding your post may involve composing a summary or analysis of the information you've presented.
Part 3: Wrap-Up
11. Put it all together. That means combining your text, visual accompaniments, and links into one cohesive article that's content-rich and pleasing to the eye.
12. Edit. Before you post, reread your entire article and edit — or better yet, have someone else edit — for grammar, flow, and accuracy. Make sure to watch for typos, broken links, and other problems that can distract from your content.
13. Share. When your listicle is complete, make it shareable. That means posting it on your website or blog and adding options for social media sharing, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Why Are Listicles So Popular?
These days, the craving for online content in nearly every subject area is insatiable. People gobble up information on topics related to celebrities, entertainment, health, pets, politics, and pretty much everything else under the sun every day. Listicle articles are popular largely because their list-style form lets content creators and marketers package information in an easy-to-consume way.
Advantages of Listicles
Here are several other major benefits of the listicle format.
- They're generally quicker to write than long-form articles.
- White space makes the article less intimidating.
- Because they're quicker to read, they invite less skimming.
- Information can be presented concisely.
- They can help simplify difficult or complex topics.
- The format makes important information easy to find.
- Multiple headlines make these articles friendly to Google and other popular search engines.
- They're great for targeting keywords.
- Listicle articles are some of the most widely shared content online.
How Do I End a Listicle?
How Do I End a Listicle?
There's no single right way to end a listicle, and how you choose to conclude your article often depends on individual style and preference. If you choose a formal conclusion for your list, be sure to wrap up the thoughts presented throughout the article effectively. The conclusion should also reflect the piece's subject and tone so that it feels like an integral part of the article.
What Are List Posts?
A listicle may also be referred to as a list post. Essentially, a list post is an article that's built around a numbered collection of items, thoughts, information, actions, or ideas. Its title typically reflects the specific number of items that are included in the post.
Here are several examples of what you can expect a list post title to look like
11 Ideas for a Coastal Wedding on a Shoestring Budget
The 3 Most Effective Ways to Protect Your Family from COVID-19
7 Tips for Making a Great First Impression When Meeting Future In-Laws
What Makes a Good Listicle?
The listicle often has a bad reputation, but a good list-based article can be a great addition to your online content collection. When well done, a list-style post can present information in a concise, easy-to-digest format that keeps readers engaged. So, what makes a good listicle?
Here are three common traits shared by good listicles:
1. A good listicle tackles an interesting topic in a new or unusual way.
- Carnival food goes vegan
- Dog names for spotted pooches
- The best movies you've never even heard of
2. A good listicle tells the reader exactly what to expect and then delivers it. If your headline creates unrealistic expectations, you risk having it labeled clickbait and alienating potential readers.
- 7 Tips for Improving Your Credit Score After a Job Loss
- 5 Insects That Can Damage Your Vegetable Garden
- 21 Uses for White Vinegar Outside the Kitchen
3. A good listicle uses interesting examples, surprising information, helpful statistics, or relevant personal insight.
- Veterinary care examples from the point of view of exotic pet owners
- Innovative cooking tips from a self-trained chef
- Photos taken from unusual perspectives
Are There Disadvantages to Writing a Listicle?
Yes. There is a downside to using the listicle format, which is that for many people, a listicle equals clickbait. That can leave wary readers hesitant to click on the link to your article, fearing they'll be taken to an unrelated or unreliable site. That's why it's important to keep your expectations realistic by using a compelling but honest title, appropriate metadata, and relevant images.
Examples of listicle titles that read like clickbait include the following:
- 9 Earth-Shaking Facts About Taylor Swift's Cats
- 101 Reasons The Walking Dead Is Actually a Romantic Comedy
- Eat These 5 Junk Foods and Lose Weight Instantly
Advantages of Using INK's Listicles Format Generator
Advantages of Using INK's Listicles Format Generator
Writing a listicle can be a fun, simple way to create online content for your personal or business website or blog. It can also be a great addition to your marketing toolkit, aiding in lead generation and search engine optimization.
5 Ways Generating Listicles Can Improve Your Brand's Marketing Plan
- Better search rankings: With its headline-rich format, the listicle format can help your article rank higher on Google's search engine results. This means your brand gets better visibility.
- Value-add: With their easy-on-the-eyes format, listicles can be a great value-add for an e-commerce site. For instance, a web store selling landscaping supplies can attract customers by offering how-to listicles on topics such as garden plants or outdoor lighting.
- Audience targeting: By creating visually appealing content that appeals to your target audience, you can draw the right visitors to your website.
- Engagement: List-style articles make it easy to turn passive reading into an interactive experience. For savvy listicle writers, this means getting site visitors to interact with your brand.
- Conversion: Listicles offer plenty of opportunities to add internal links, keeping visitors on your site longer and offering additional conversion opportunities.
Ultimately, INK's Listicles Format Generator can help you turn those paragraphs into page views. So, go ahead and be bold. Be controversial. Be quirky. But, whatever you do, always remember to number your list.