Becoming a writer means being knowledgeable about the basics of…
Becoming a writer means being knowledgeable about the basics of the English language. One of these concepts include the 7 Grammar Rules most English enthusiasts follow.
The 7 Grammar Rules: What are They?
Grammar in English refers to the rules that apply to the spoken and written language.
Writers should follow basic grammar rules to communicate effectively through written language.
There aren’t rules like how to place periods and use conjunctions in grammar. Those rules serve as building blocks for English grammar.
1. Active Voice
It’s the sound expressed by the words in a sentence. It simply means, you have to write using active voice.
Write with the active voice since your writing must focus on the subject of the sentence, not the writer. You cannot use the passive voice in your writing because it has more words and confusing for most readers.
Also, active voice is simpler and not as wordy as passive voice, which can make an adorably cluttered piece of text.
Taking active voice and recognizing grammar is one of the first grammar rules to adopt. Use the active tense of the verb when you use it.
The sentence should talk about the subject, not the action taken.
Active voices are opposite to passive voices. With passive voices, you pair a being verb with a past tense action verb, such as “The apple was peeled by mom.”
Mom is doing the action, but the apple is the subject, so the writer used passive voice.
Example of Active Voice
- Instead of saying, “The ant was eaten by my pet lizard”, say, “My pet lizard ate the ant”.
2. Connecting Two Ideas with Semicolon, Comma, or Conjunction
Make sure you include two ideas in one sentence properly. Semicolons are one way to do this.
The use of this should only be necessary when the two ideas seem closely linked.
Example of Connecting Two Ideas with a Semicolon
- My pet lizard ate the ant; Rex kept on hunting for his favorite food before seeing the ant.
You can also join them by adding a comma and coordinating conjunction, such as:
Example of Connecting Two Ideas with Comma and Conjunction
- My pet lizard ate the ant, after he kept on hunting for his favorite food.
Also, you can refrain from using a comma and join the ideas with a conjunction.
Example of Connecting Two Ideas with a Conjunction
- My pet lizard ate the ant after he kept on hunting for his favorite food.
3. Subject-Verb Agreement
For every sentence, there is a subject and a predicate, known as a verb clause. Both verbs and nouns must agree.
You must use the plural form of your verb when you have a plural subject. It is necessary to use the singular verb form in a singular subject.
Example of Subject-Verb Agreement
- Queen Elizabeth rests in the palace.
This example is correct because “Elizabeth” and “rests” pertain to singular words.
When you combine “or,” or “nor,” and a subject is involved, subject-verb agreement becomes more difficult. In this case, only the subject closest to the verb is counted.
4. Sentences Should Appear Complete
Sentences make up the most basic building block of grammar. A subject and a verb make up a sentence. However, you should remember to have a complete thought when writing one.
Also, sentences begin in uppercase, while it ends with the appropriate punctuation.
There’s actually an amazing thing about writing sentences. You can write one by using a group of words, two words, or even a single word —in some cases.
Example of a Complete Sentence
- Over the table, Zoe saw my Valentine’s gift.
- Get lost!
5. Correct Apostrophes
Apostrophes have two purposes.
The first one is using them for expressions of possession.
Example of Singular Possessive Apostrophe
- He saw Dan’s girlfriend.
The sentence says that the woman is Dan’s partner.
For plural words, an apostrophe without a corresponding “s” still means possession.
Example of Plural Possessive Apostrophe
- She found the Simpsons’ pet cat.
6. Know When to Use Uppercase
Most writers find it hard to follow this rule. However, it’s truly quite confusing to know when to use capitalization when writing.
An easy way to find out is by determining if the word you’re writing is a proper noun or not.
Example of Proper Capitalization
- I think I met the Family Clown.
is different from
- I think I met the family clown.
The first example says that the writer met the family whose surname is Clown.
Meanwhile, the second example says that the writer met the family’s fun member.
Aside from proper nouns, you should capitalize the following:
- Words of address, such as “Have you seen my paper, Professor?”
- Calendar Days and Months
- Job titles, such as “President George Washington”
- Book title
7. Properly Use Appropriate Articles
Articles are words we oftentimes use in a sentence.
- The (definite article)
- A (indefinite article); and
- An (indefinite article)
“The” is used to describe a specific item
The mall closes at 9 PM.
“A” is oftentimes used on words that begin with vowels. Meanwhile, “an” refers to words that start with a consonant.
A book has been delivered to my house.
An onion fell from the counter.
However, “an” is also used with some words that begin with vowel sounds, despite the first letter being consonant.
An NBA player.
To Wrap Up
Whether you’re dealing with business-related grammar or ideas on how to solve common problems, the 7 Grammar Rules is an interesting guide to follow. It can help you improve your writing and become a better writer.
Frequently asked questions
What are the 12 basic rules of grammar?
- SVO (Subject – Verb – Object) should be found in every sentence.
- The first word of every sentence should begin with a Capital letter.
- Both Subject and Verb forms form part of the sentence.
- Every sentence should either end with a full stop (or) a question mark (or), an exclamation mark.
Which grammar is important for writing?
Grammar plays a vital role in creative writing. Grammar is crucial to credibility, readability, communication, and clarity. A master’s grammar will enable you to make your work more clear and more readable; you will have the freedom to make stylistic choices.
How many rules of grammar are there?
The number of grammar rules is estimated to range from 500 to 10,000, but for practical purposes we can say that there are about 3,500. A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, by Quirk, Greenbaum, Leech & Svartvik, was composed by David Crystal, the author of the grammar reference book.
What are the basic grammar?
English grammar includes noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, and interjection.
What are the steps to improve English grammar?
- Make a commitment
- You should keep a grammar book at your disposal.
- Use a grammar app.
- Practise everyday
- Learn new words
- Read more about English.
- Listen in English
- Make your teacher and friends understand English.
What are the 10 grammar rules?
- Parallel Structure
- Run-ons & Fragments. Complete sentences contain a subject, a predicate verb, and a thought.
- Modifiers: Adjectives/Adverbs & Phrases.
- Verbative Agreement and Verb Tenses.
How can I improve my English grammar while speaking and writing?
- You should read as much as you can.
- Keep an English dictionary handy.
- Make your grammar better.
- Make sure your spelling is correct before and after writing.
- Write a diary in English.
- Start by developing your basic sentences into elaborate ones.
- Create a paragraph organized in a way you know.
- Write an outline
What are the 4 types of grammar?
Noam Chomsky classifies types of grammar according to four categories: Type0, Type1 and Type3. Additionally called the Chomsky hierarchy, it is the grammar of Chomski. Grammars like these are used in theory of computation.
What are the 11 rules of grammar?
- Lists that use a serial comma.
- Time-based actions based on the Simple Present.
- Join Two Ideas with a Semicolon.
- Present Progressive Tense for Current Actions.
- Past Tense Verbs add -ed to them.
- You can connect two ideas as one using a Comma.
- Use Active Voice
- The Conjunction of Ideas.
What are 5 grammar rules?
- Punctuation. Punctuation is used in written English to describe pauses, intonation, and stress words.
- Tense and aspect
- Word order. English is an analytical language that uses word order to determine the relationship between different words.
What grammar rules should be broken?
- No single noun with a plural pronoun should be described.
- No preposition is needed in a sentence.
- Be careful not to begin a sentence with a conjunction.
- Use sentences with no fragments.
- Know who and which person are in your life.
- Double negatives should not be used.
What is the first rule of writing?
It’s important to know what to say if you’re going to write your story; it is the magic technique that breathes life and energy into your story.
How can I improve my grammar writing skills?
- Read. Reading is the best way to improve your grammar.
- Read a grammar manual. Keep a thorough reference book nearby to be able to reference when writing.
- Review the basics
- Listen to others
- Proofread…out loud
What is the most important rule in writing?
The following guidelines are helpful: Always read your story or novel before sending it:. Everyone should adhere to this rule. bestselling ones. That means that you should treat your writing time as work time and plan accordingly.