Smart freelance writers, marketers, and students use open source grammar checker tools to check their grammar. This is to ensure that their writing is as professional, SEO-friendly, and free of mistakes.
The Best Open Source Grammar Checker Tools of 2022
Grammarly is a robust grammar analyzer with tools to assist you in improving your writing. It’s a writing assistant that follows you around practically everywhere you go.
This open source grammar checker examines your work and makes suggestions for fixes. It assists you in learning from your mistakes by explaining those corrections.
The free version will correct spelling and punctuation issues, and it may be sufficient for casual writers.
Grammarly Premium detects sophisticated grammar and punctuation issues and contextual spelling mistakes. It offers advice on improving sentence structure, word choice, and readability.
It also allows you to establish tone and intent goals, an experimental feature that can be valuable.
- With a clean and straightforward user interface, this grammar checker is simple.
- Grammarly Premium includes unlimited plagiarism checks.
- The versatility of many formats. It’s accessible as a web-based online grammar checker tool, a web browser extension, a desktop program, a Microsoft Word add-on, or a mobile keyboard.
- The free version has fewer features than the premium version and will catch fewer problems.
- To use Grammarly’s most remarkable features, you’ll need to upgrade to Grammarly Premium.
- To get the most out of your premium subscription, you’ll need to copy and paste your text into the app.
What Does Grammarly Charge?
Grammarly is available for free. Grammarly Premium comes in three packages: monthly billing for $29.95, quarterly billing for $19.98 ($59.95), and annual billing for $11.66 ($139.95).
The Grammarly app might be a little pushy when it comes to recommending faults. Grammarly, for example, adores commas, even when they disrupt the flow of a text.
Grammarly’s free edition will spot errors and provide a rudimentary grammatical check. Advanced problems such as plagiarism and passive voice detection in the premium edition, giving feedback to help you improve your writing.
Grammarly is a beautiful pick for improving your writing abilities and keeping your work error-free.
Ginger is a free online grammar checker that fixes “all forms of grammatical errors, including punctuation, sentence structure, and style.” It also offers translation services in over 40 languages. You can write in German, for example, and then translate it into English.
The free tool has a character restriction of 350 characters. If you sign up for the Ginger grammar checker, you can acquire a much more powerful Google Chrome extension for free. This will open the Ginger Writer software, which will allow you to copy and paste your text to check for problems.
Ginger Keyboard is a mobile app that detects spelling errors in messages, emails (Outlook, Gmail, and so on), and social networking posts. It only works with Microsoft Word.
- Over 40 languages are supported with the built-in language tool.
- The free edition comes with three writing tools: a translation editor, a dictionary, and a thesaurus.
- A “personal trainer”exists in the premium version to help you improve your English. The trainer acts as a virtual writing coach, providing “tailored practice sessions based on your work.”
There are several processes in the Ginger Writer software to work through your content.
- To begin, you must hover over errors to determine what is incorrect.
- Then you must choose whether to accept or reject the error by clicking a text box.
- No sidebar (like Grammarly) to list all possible grammar errors.
By how much does ginger set you back?
Ginger Premium offers three options if you require more features than the free version.
Monthly payments of $20.97, $7.49 invoiced annually ($89.88), or a two-year subscription for $159.84. Please note that these rates include a 30 percent discount on all plans.
The free version only provides little error feedback. Ginger does not work with Mac OS X or Google Docs.
To see an analysis of your errors or for more advanced grammar checks, you’ll need to upgrade to the premium edition.
If English is your second language, then Ginger is a great option.
3. Hemingway Editor
The Hemingway Editor is a style checker that gives you input on how to make your work more readable. It aspires toward clean, straightforward language constructions in the spirit of Hemingway.
Complex sentences are categorized as “hard to read” or “extremely hard to read.” You can reword unnecessarily complex statements that might confuse your reader.
The passive voice, numerous adverbs, and complex phrases are also flagged.
Hemingway Editor’s advantages
- The web version is available for free.
- If you get distracted while writing online, a low-cost desktop version can help you resist temptation.
- Notifies you of difficult-to-read or understand writing that you might miss on your own.
Hemingway’s Editor Cons
- You must copy and paste your text into the app for it to review your work, and your formatting will not be preserved.
- It makes no recommendations about how to alter complex sentences. It is up to you to correct your text.
- If you follow every tip, your writing may become TOO simplistic.
Although you should always strive for clarity in your writing, there are instances when a little more intricacy is suitable.
By how much does a Hemingway Editor set you back?
- The web version is available for free. A desktop app is available for $19.99 if you wish to work offline.
Review of Hemingway’s Editor
Grammar check software is not required to use the Hemingway Editor. However, it is a fantastic addition to these tools.
This program assists you in improving your readability and avoiding stumbling blocks that may cause your readers to abandon your work. It can help in ensuring that your writing is read.
4. After the Deadline
After the Deadline is a free online grammar checker. You can copy and paste a piece of writing into the polishmywriting.com interface to quickly check it for free. This tool provides comments on spelling problems and grammar and style suggestions.
After the Deadline is also available as a WordPress plugin for supported web applications.
Advantages of After the Deadline
- Personal use is free.
- The English language isn’t the only one with a spelling mistake checker: French, German, Portuguese, and Spanish are also available.
- You can use it as a WordPress plugin to check your grammar on your website.
Cons of After the Deadline
Compared to other grammar checkers, it has a limited set of features.
- To figure out what’s wrong, you have to click on each issue and select proposed repairs from a drop-down box.
- It’s a very basic grammar checker. In a 200-word sample, it missed contextual spelling and punctuation problems.
By how much does After the Deadline set you back?
It’s free to use for personal purposes.
Review for After the Deadline
- This free grammar checker might help you avoid mistakes if you’re a blogger who writes posts directly on WordPress.
- Developers can utilize the open-source code in their apps.
WhiteSmoke will proofread your work for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and style errors.
It comes with a grammar checker, plagiarism checker, and translator in a premium web browser-only edition. WhiteSmoke can be used with Windows, Mac, MS Office, and Gmail in the Premium edition.
- Over 50 languages are supported by an automated translation (premium version only).
- There is a plagiarism checker provided (500 credits with a subscription).
- The commercial versions come with over 100 document templates.
- The free version is presently only accessible as a web application and is restricted to 250 characters.
- Their website advertised a “free WhiteSmoke toolbar for Chrome,” but it is unavailable.
- The web version supports only web browsers.
What is the price of WhiteSmoke?
The Web edition (browsers only) costs $5 per month and is invoiced annually at $59.95. The Premium version costs $6.66 per month or $79.95 per year. Please note that all prices include a 50% discount.
They feature a valuable and free “How to Produce” section on their site, featuring brief blurbs on how to write a variety of papers.
To gain support for all formats, you’ll need to subscribe to Premium. A monthly subscription is not available. You’ll be required to sign up for a yearly subscription.
WhiteSmoke can save you money if you require a less expensive grammar app (while the 50% discount is still in effect). There is no free trial, but there is a 31-day money-back guarantee if you are willing to take a chance.
To Wrap Up
Most academic writing is based on facts and has a clear structure. Also, they talk formally. By using an online grammar checker, you are able to meet the standards for final publication.
Even if you worked hard on your writing, one simple, stupid grammar mistake could ruin it.
Explore All Grammar Checker Articles
As a writer, there are times you’ll have to write dialogue in your essays or fiction. In such a case,…
Having a talent for writing, whether it’s writing academic essays or writing fiction is great. Talent will only take you…
As a writer, you can’t avoid errors due to bad grammar. However, making mistakes doesn’t make you a bad writer. What…
Boss’ or boss’s has been a topic of debate for a very long time. Schools typically teach that words ending…
Have you ever wondered which word fits into a sentence — were or was? You’re not alone. Were or Was:…