Vocabulary is of great essence in speaking and writing. Work on your vocabulary every day to keep yourself learning new words with the valuable ESL vocabulary tips provided in this article.
What is Vocabulary?
Vocabulary is a set of expressions, words, and morphemes used to communicate. It is a critical skill and a useful tool for making correct sentences. Proper vocabulary makes it possible for you to express yourself and help others better understand you.
Vocabulary is a big factor in communication and an excellent way of being able to understand a language correctly.
In all areas, vocabulary is essential. It is what allows you to speak clearly, make sense of words, and understand what you read. Learning vocabulary is a great tool in enhancing your understanding of a language.
Vocabulary helps in building confidence and the ability to express your thoughts. It is important to achieve basic communication and confidence in all kinds of linguistic situations. A new language requires that you master its basic vocabulary to be effective.
ESL Vocabulary List
Vocabulary words and phrases
- Phrasal verbs: Break out, bring about, come along, come on, get over.
- Antonyms: external – internal; above – below; fall – rise.
- Abbreviations: Gal. – Gallon; Prof – Professor; Bike – Bicycle.
- Synonyms: Attractive – appealing, enjoyment – fun, quiet – silent
- Slang words: Break a leg – good luck, mate – a friend, cheesy – tacky
- Idioms: up in the air – still to be settled, flat broke – having no money at all
- Suffixes: -wise (otherwise, likewise, clockwise)
- Prefixes: co- (coworker, cooperation, coexist)
- Contractions list: aren’t – are not; can’t – cannot; shan’t – shall not.
- Informal contractions: alotta – a lot of; tell’em – tell them; hasta – has to
10 Tips to Improve Vocabulary
- Read and listen more attentively
- Have a word of the day
- Write down new words
- Use flashcards and dictionaries
- Use the vocabulary you learn in your way.
- Apply the new words you learn in daily conversations.
- Associate a new word you learn with people, places, or events
- Make a vocabulary list and put it on the wall
- Create a list of special vocabulary.
To Wrap Up
Every language has an inter-relationship between words and phrases, which explains why vocabulary is so important – to understand the idea behind a statement. While the improper use of vocabulary can lead to misunderstandings, the correct use can make it easy for you to communicate and be understood.
Explore All English as Second Language Articles
English Language Learners or Ell students are people over the age of five. They are actively learning the English Language…
As an English speaker, you may have had dictation lessons in grade school. This was where the teacher read you…
Teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) requires you to think of creative lecture strategies. You have to know different…
If you want to learn about some of the best tips about ESL writing activities, you might find this article…
Studying English as a Second Language (ESL) does not only focus on the concept of writing. It also means you…
With more than a quarter of the world speaking English, there are countless tools on how to quickly and effectively…