Sentences are conveyors of ideas and should make sense. After…
Sentences are conveyors of ideas and should make sense. After crafting a sentence, a likely question you would want to ask yourself is ‘does this sentence make sense?’
What Makes a Sentence Sensible?
A sentence is sensible when it is simple and easy to understand. The easy thing to remember about sentence construction is to think of them in terms of conversation. Conversations are a series of simple sentences that cohesively connect. When crafting your sentence, you should think about those sentences as a basis for mapping out the paragraph.
A sentence will make sense to the reader when concise and complete. Sentences that include more than one topic, especially when they bear many thoughts, can make the writing too busy and diluted.
Does this Sentence Make Sense: How to Fix Sentences
Sentences that make sense need to be complete. They often have specific subjects and verbs. Check out these seven tips to find out how to fix your sentences and craft more effective sentences that people will appreciate.
1. Keep the sentence concise and straightforward
A story may have brilliant ideas but be confusing and hard to understand. When you compose your sentences, think about how you can make them simple, complete, and concise.
By keeping sentences short and clear, you ensure that the meaning of your texts is easier to decipher. You would think it sounds strange, but specific sentences can make more sense when they are split in half.
2. Avoid Sentence Fragments
Sentences must convey meaning and persuade readers. Fragments are incomplete sentences that make no sense. Always be sure that your sentence has a verb, a subject, and represents a complete thought.
By minimizing sentence fragments, you will build consistency with your writing skills and make it easier for readers to grasp your message.
3. Remove Passive Voice
When you use the passive voice for a sentence, you are not talking about the sentence’s subject.
It does not matter if you’re the subject or object of the sentence; the passive voice makes your sentence sound like an echo. It sounds like someone or something is telling you what to do instead of expressing your thoughts.
A straightforward solution is to use the active voice throughout your writing.
4. Appeal to your audience
When you want someone to read what you write, you should try to make sense to them. Sometimes, people write sentences with faulty grammar that do not appeal to the reader.
To make a sentence sensible, appeal to your audience’s emotions. Approach the statement from a subjective perspective and create a sense of conviction by getting them excited about the action being taken.
Create a character that is relatable by making use of the readers’ emotions.
5. Avoid grammar and spelling errors
A sentence full of grammar and spelling errors will make no sense to the reader. Spelling errors will create a poor impression and make the reader doubt your credibility and lose interest.
Correct grammar and sentence structure will enable you to write with sophistication, positively affecting not only your reader but also their perception of you.
6. Write with a distinct punctuation mark
Proper punctuation is a great way to make your sentences easier to read. Without punctuation, you will end up confusing your readers.
Overusing punctuation marks can also be a turn-off to your readers. If you want to create more interest and make your writing more captivating, use the appropriate punctuation and use it in moderation.
7. Be specific about what you want to say
Sentences without specific information have no point and make little sense. A sentence with a sense of purpose and message is more effective than one that is just plain confusing.
If the sentence does not offer any specifics, it leaves the audience with a large pool of unanswered questions and confusion.
Sentences should be crafted to make sense. It can be difficult to quickly figure out what is going on when they don’t. The ideal goal of writing is to ensure the reader has a clear understanding of the text.
Without proper sentence structure, cannot be achieved. Studying and following the seven tips in this article can help you create sentences that make sense.
Frequently asked questions
How do you turn a sentence into a phrase?
How can I improve my sentence clarity?
- Using old information for new information.
- Place subordinate clauses carefully.
- Use active voice
- Use parallel constructions
- Avoid noun strings
- Noun forms of verbs should not be overused.
- Avoid multiple negatives
How can I understand complicated English sentences?
- Start with a vocabulary list.
- You don’t define every word.
- Use context clues
- Find word roots, prefixes, and suffixes you know.
- Break sentences up into chunks.
- Keep looking for related words and ideas.
- Read and summarize
What are the most confusing sentences?
- He had no impact on the outcome of all the faith he had.
- 2 Early in the morning I shot a rhino in my pajamas.
- As well as married and single soldiers, this complex houses their families.
- There is a professor in Rome who studies.
What are the 7 types of phrase?
- Prepositional Phrase
- Noun Phrase
- Absolute Phrase
- Infinitive Phrase
- Gerund Phrase
- Appositive Phrase
- Participial Phrase
How do you rewrite a sentence correctly?
How can you make a sentence sound better?
- 1 Use active voice. Keep your presentation concise and to the point.
- 2 Focus on formal languages.
- 4 Revise spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- 5 Eliminate excessive words and awkward sentence structure.
- Check content to make sure it matches the intended tone.
How do you restructure a sentence?
- Voice replaced with active voice. In Outwrite, passive voices are detected and fixed automatically.
- Use parallel construction
- Avoid nominalizations
- Do not use double negatives.
How do you rewrite a text without changing the context of ideas?
Paraphrasing is the process of rewriting text into a different form but still maintaining the core meaning of the text.
How do you change a sentence without changing meaning?
- Use stronger synonyms. Rewriting a sentence is the easiest way to do so.
- Remove unnecessary words. Such an unnecessary phrase can be simplified with “Wide variety of”.
- Inactive voice is replaced with passive voice.
- Splice sentences in half.
- Paraphrasing is possible
How can I make my essay sound smarter?
- Be specific and passionate.
- Utilize Simple Language
- Create simple, simple sentences and paragraphs.
- Don’t use fluffy or repeatable words.
- Avoid Rambling
- Having to Edit – and Do-It Taking Time.
- Avoid slang and clichés.
- Make Smart Transitions
What are sentences 10 examples?
- Start running to the party.
- There is no train leaving at 12 AM.
- The employees speak English at work.
- Do they talk a lot?
- Mary enjoys cooking
- At this point, I do not have money.
- She likes bananas
- Do you drink coffee with her?
How do you make a sentence sound smart?
- Would you have anything to say? Writing is therefore easier and faster because of this.
- Be specific. Consider two sentences: .
- Choose simple words
- Write short sentences
- Active voices are useful.
- Keep paragraphs short
- Eliminate fluff words
- Don’t ramble
How do I refine my writing?
- Write in a direct way. Brief and clear writing is essential.
- Make sure you choose your words wisely.
- In general, short sentences are more powerful than long sentences.
- Write short paragraphs
- Active voice always helps.
- Make sure you review and edit your work.
- Tone that is natural and conversational.
- Read famous authors
How do you write a sentence that makes sense?
- It’s important that you use words that convey emotion.
- Involving the active voice into life.
- Using concrete, colorful descriptions, stimulate the senses.
- Keep your readers guessing.
- Put your sentences together like Krazy Glue.