Headings are essential organization elements for every document, so you must know how to use them properly. A document that may otherwise be a jumbled mess can display its contents more clearly thanks to headings. There are many different heading styles in Microsoft Word, and we’ll explore how you can use them correctly in this article.
Whether you’re making a term paper or a business report, you can use headings to improve their visual impact.
Adding headings to your documents is simpler than you think by using the Styles function in Word. All you need to do is follow the simple steps we’ve outlined. Let’s get into it!
Why Use Headings?
You need headings for more reasons than one. Headings define the sections of the document, which can be easy to get lost in otherwise.
Headings also break up the document and show what you are focusing on. If you are writing a working document with multiple sections, headings make it easy to tell each section apart.
Other benefits of using Headings include:
- Screen readers can identify which blocks of text are headings and what level each heading occupies in the hierarchy.
- It makes it easier to rearrange your document by simply dragging headings. This can be done in the outline view of the document. If you move a headline, all the text under it will also move.
- The screen reader allows users to skim the page by jumping from heading to heading.
- It provides an easy way to insert a table of contents in your documents, including page numbers.
- You can put a link in your document, allowing you to go to different document sections quickly and easily.
- It helps you create consistent formatting for your documents.
How to Add Different Heading Styles in Word
You can access the Styles gallery in the Home Tab of Microsoft Word. If you want to customize “Styles”, you can right-click on a headline style and select Modify. You can also create a new heading style by going to the style gallery and clicking the downward arrow for more options.
Now to add a heading to your Word document, follow these steps:
- Selecting the text you want to use as a heading using your mouse
- Go to the Styles gallery in the Home tab
- Click on the “Heading” style that you want to use in the “Styles” gallery. There are several headings that you can use.
If the “Heading” you want to use is not visible, click on the arrow on the bottom right of the Styles gallery. This will reveal more heading options.
For Modifying Heading Styles
A heading style can be changed to your preference. You can also alter its font and many more. Follow these steps:
- Select the heading text you want to modify
- Go to the style gallery and right-click on the heading in use.
- Click on Modify
- You can rename the headline on the pop-up, change its font, font color, and many more.
- Once you’re done with your modifications, click OK.
Quick steps for formatting heading style:
- Select the heading text that you want to customize
- Modify its styles the way you want
- Go to the Home menu
- In the Styles gallery, right-click the heading style that you customized
- Click on Update Heading to Match Selection
If you apply that heading style to your document, it will now include the customizations you’ve set.
To Wrap Up
Your document becomes more accessible for readers with the use of proper headings. It helps them understand the organization of the document to get to the information they need more quickly.
Microsoft Word has different heading styles that you can utilize. And hopefully, this article has helped you navigate through its many settings. Try it out on your next document, and you’ll be surprised at how easy it is!
Explore All Blog Title Generator Articles
Why Are Headings Used in Articles?
As a writer, you should master everything about writing content. Your understanding of the profession reflects on the quality of…
How to Create a Good Title With Title Examples
Whether you’re writing a blog or a feature article, you NEED a good title. With a good title, you can…
Interesting Thesis Title Examples for Research Papers
Writing a research paper can be daunting. What’s even more challenging is picking a suitable topic. Even after brainstorming, you…
Best Tips for Writing a Great Blog
Anyone who has read a blog post has taken in information from a thought leader who is a pro in…
What Are Listicles? How to Start Them?
List posts, also known as lists, have a bad reputation in the online world, where the value of your blog’s…
How to Come up With Name Ideas for a Tech Blog
Do you want to build a successful tech blog? Are you looking for great tech blog name ideas to come…