Taglines are short, punchy hooks to sell a movie. Let’s…
Taglines are short, punchy hooks to sell a movie. Let’s look at some of the most brilliant movie taglines and see what makes them intriguing.
A movie tagline is a short and clever phrase that gives the viewer an idea of what to expect from the movie. It’s the phrase you might see in movie trailers and it often encapsulates the movie’s whole point. An excellent tagline gives an idea of what a movie is about without giving spoilers. Taglines are usually catchy call-to-actions typically used to sell films to the public.
A movie tagline is used before or at the beginning of a film to get moviegoers’ attention. It is like a bait and hook that entices the viewer to see the movie. Tagline for movies are written to be memorable, catchy, and intriguing. They are usually one sentence long but can also be much longer. A tagline may describe the movie’s plot, the genre of the film, the lead character’s motivation, or the movie’s tone.
Tips for Creating Unique Tagline for Movies
A movie tagline is a short line used in movie trailers and other movie marketing materials to promote a film. In the age of digital marketing, movie taglines are more crucial than ever. Find out what makes the best movie taglines.
1. Describe the movie.
The tagline should briefly summarize the movie. It should have the necessary information, including the plot, genre, tone, or key audience themes. Ensure your slogan is relatable to the movie. Avoid using inappropriate or offensive words such as“gay,” “nigger”, “cheater,” etc.
2. Make it clear.
If your audience cannot figure out what you mean in a few seconds, they’ll likely skip right over the line. Ensure your tagline is clear and easily understandable. Stick to one to two key sentences, and use simple fonts and colors. Visual clues can also help the viewer better understand what the tagline means.
3. Make it memorable.
The goal of the tagline is to ‘hook’ the viewer to see more. Use attention-grabbing and catchy words that’ll stir up curiosity in your audience’s mind. The slogan must be memorable, persuasive, and intrigue the potential viewer. In creating a tagline, use your most vital points to your advantage. You will lose the potential audience if the slogan is unappealing and not compelling.
4. Keep it short.
A great tagline captures the whole essence of a movie or character within a single sentence. Avoid writing a tagline that is too lengthy – less is better. A long motto can be detrimental to the success of your movie. Viewers don’t have the patience to read a long tagline – so keep it short.
5. Make it unique and original.
When creating a tagline for a movie, it is essential that it is unique and not stolen from other movies. Keeping it original is crucial to the movie’s success – it makes your film stand out. Copying a tagline of another movie highlights the lack of creativity in the filmmaker’s mind.
6. Give a call-to-action.
Your tagline should make the viewer feel compelled to buy tickets or to check out trailers. Think of a funny, entertaining, or witty slogan that is succinct, has a hook and encourages viewers to see more.
10 Classic Movies Taglines
Here are some of the best classic tagline for movies you should know. The title of the movie and the taglines, stated in brackets, will inspire you to come up with yours.
- Double Indemnity (From the moment they met, it was murder.)
- The Lady Eve (When you deal a fast shuffle, love is in the cards.)
- 12 Angry Men (Life is in their hands — Death is on their minds.)
- The Magnificent Seven (They were 7… and they fought like 700.)
- Easy Rider (A man went looking for America, and he couldn’t find it anywhere.)
- The Sound of Music (The Happiest Sound in All the World.)
- Taxi Driver (On every street in every city in this country, there is a nobody who dreams of being a somebody.)
- Bonnie and Clyde (They’re young, they’re in love, and they kill people.)
- High Noon (The story of a man who was too proud to run.)
- Treasure of the Sierra Madre (The nearer they get to the treasure, the farther they get from the law.)
10 Comedic Movies Taglines
Some of the best comedic movie taglines are listed below. The title of the movie and the bracketed taglines, which describes the entire film in a few words – are worth noting.
- Dumb and Dumber (For Harry and Lloyd, every day is a no-brainer.)
- Ghostbusters (Who you gonna call?)
- Catch Me if You Can (The true story of a real fake.)
- Grosse Pointe Blank (Even a hitman deserves a second shot.)
- Office Space (Work sucks.)
- Weekend at Bernie’s (He may be dead, but he’s the life of the party.)
- Chicken Run (Escape or die frying.)
- The Truman Show (On the air and unaware.)
- Mars Attacks! (Nice Planet. We’ll take it)
- O’ Brother Where Art Thou (They have a plan but not a clue)
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (One man’s struggle to take it easy.)
10 Horror Movie Taglines
- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (Sister, sister oh so fair why is there blood all over your hair?)
- Jaws (You’ll never go in the water again.)
- Nightmare on Elm Street (If Nancy doesn’t wake up screaming, she won’t wake up at all…)
- Contagion (Nothing spreads like fear.)
- Deliverance (This is the weekend they didn’t play golf.)
- Gremlins 2 (Here they grow again)
- Red Eye (Fear takes flight.)
- Saw II (Oh yes, there will be blood.)
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Who will survive and what will be left of them?)
- The Thing (Man is the warmest place to hide.)
4 Disney Movie Taglines
- Pinocchio (For anyone who ever wished upon a star.)
- Snow White (Midnight never strikes when you’re in love.)
- Fantasia (Hear the pictures. See the music.)
- Monsters Inc. (We scare because we care.)
3 Superhero Movie Taglines
- Spider-man (With great power comes great responsibility.)
- Superman (You’ll believe a man can fly.)
- The Dark Knight (Why So Serious?)
10 Dramatic Movies Taglines
- Platoon(The first casualty of war is innocence.)
- Saving Private Ryan (The mission is a man.)
- Quiz Show (50 million people watching but no one saw a thing.)
- Edward Scissorhands (His story will touch you even though he can’t.)
- Crybaby(Good girls want him bad. Bad girls want him worse.)
- The Social Network (You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies.)
- Zodiac (There is more than one way to lose your life to a serial killer.)
- Lost in Translation (Everyone wants to be found.)
- School Ties (Just because you were accepted doesn’t mean you belong.)
- Memento (Some memories are best forgotten.)
10 Action Movie Taglines
- I am Legend (The last man on Earth is not alone.)
- The Matrix (Reality is a thing of the past.)
- True Lies (When he said I do he never said what he did.)
- T2: Judgement Day (Same Make. Same Model. New Mission.)
- 12 Monkeys (The future is history.)
- Alien Vs. Predator (Whoever wins, we lose.)
- Armageddon (Earth. It was fun while it lasted.)
- The Matrix (Reality is a thing of the past.)
- The Princess Bride (She gets kidnapped. He gets killed. But it all ends up okay.)
- True Lies (When he said I do, he never said what he did.)
To Wrap Up
Tagline for movies are short, catchy phrases that hook the audience to watch the movie. They often tell the audience the movie, the film’s primary purpose, and what emotions to expect to feel when they watch the film.