Casual language, like casual clothes, could be used almost anywhere,…
Casual language, like casual clothes, could be used almost anywhere, like at a sports game, a party, or a get-together with friends or family.
Transformation: Casual English to Formal English
People you know and are more at ease with are more likely to utilize casual words. While using casual words in informal conditions, they should be avoided in more formal contexts.
See how these words transform from Casual to English.
Casual – Formal
- Cuz – Because
- Chill/chillin’- Relax/relaxing
- Gonna – Going to
- Sick – Great; amazing
- Lame – Not good; worthless
Practice your Casual English in the places below.
You’re allowed to…
- Talk casually to the driver/pilot and the people seated next to you as you board a bus, rail, or plane
- Converse with your classmates in the classroom or your coworkers in the office
- Learn new words and phrases by listening to television shows/movies/music lyrics and writing them down.
- Chat with strangers when doing your daily activities at the bank, the shop, or the post office.
- Try talking on the phone with your friends or exchanging emails, texts, and letters
Importance of Casual Language
- It’s vital to use casual language because it offers the listener a sense of intimacy and authenticity.
- Make others feel at ease by displaying your individuality.
- Saves time
A Real-World Setting for Learning Formal Language
Let us now turn our attention to the use of formal English. Formal English is used in these settings, and you can learn formal language from these instances:
- Watching the news or participating in government debates.
- Glancing at current publications and newspapers as well as scholarly articles, essays, and other nonfiction literature
- Sifting through academic papers
- Take a look at tutorials on interviews and meetings
- Check out the proceedings at a public hearing or municipal council meeting
Importance of Formal Language
- Gives credence to a situation’s gravity or relevance
- Satisfies academic and professional standards
- Clarifies the reader’s understanding
Tips For Formal Language
Grammar is more complicated in formal language, and sentences are often lengthier.
Modal verbs are used in formal language. In this case,
- We would appreciate it if…
- Could you kindly notify us when.?
2. Pronouns are the fourth category.
The pronoun ‘we’ is more commonly used in formal language than ‘I.’
[formal] I can help you with this issue. Please stay on the line.
[informal] We’re sorry to tell you that…
[informal] We’d like to announce that…
The formal language calls for a more severe tone of voice and slower speech to ensure proper pronunciation.
4. Colloquial Language
This is not used in formal language. For example:
- Would you like a cup of coffee? [formal] vs. a tall chilled glass of beer? [informal]
- ‘Would you have…’ [formal] vs. ‘Do you want….’ [informal]
5. Using Emojis in a Formal Setting Is Not Allowed!
To Wrap Up
Casual English is spoken by people who do not expect to be understood by anyone. It relaxes and has a light, friendly and informal feel to it.
On the other hand, formal English is spoken by people who want to be understood by everyone. It is serious and businesslike.
Hopefully, you have learned how to tell them apart and how to express yourself in style anywhere!
Frequently asked questions
What are examples of informal writing?
- Anecdotal articles
- Personal blogs
- Text messages
- Comic books
- Social media posts
What type of language do you use in essay?
Using plain language to convey your point clearly, using linking words to balance your argument is essential to writing good essays in English. Using words to connect ideas, sentences, and paragraphs allows your writing to flow and be more fluid and logical.
What is casual language in writing?
Languages of informal origin are casual and spontaneous. For communicating with friends or family directly or through a telephone call, this can occur. In some emails, text messages, and business correspondence, it is used at all times. Formal language has a tone that is more personal than informal language.
Why is it important to use formal and informal language?
In serious situations or with people we are unfamiliar with, we use formal language. Language of informality is used in situations that are more relaxed and involve people we know well. When we write, formal language is more common; when we speak, informal language is less common.
Why is informal language acceptable in poems?
Writing and language that is informal are more personal and more conversational than formal speech and writing. The use of this type of language and writing is typically used for friendly and personal letters.
How do you write a casual style?
It is common to write in the first person. It is common for a writer to refer to himself or herself as “I” or “me.” * A casual writing style often addresses the reader as “you,” or by someone’s name. In the absence of words like “person,” more formal forms of writing are preferred.
Which language should be avoided in a written text?
Colloquialisms. There are two types of colloquialisms: phrases used in conversational English and formalized words. When writing academic papers, you should avoid contractions, fillers, and typical street terms.
Why is it important to use formal language in writing?
An informal tone demonstrates respect for the audience and suggests that the writer is serious about his or her topic. The tone used by educated people when communicating with other educated individuals is similar.
Why is it important to avoid using slang and colloquial when we write?
The result is that colloquialisms undermine the effect you want to have on the reader, according to Pam Peters (2007). We recommend you do not appear casual, impractical or gloss over details.
How can I improve my formal writing skills?
- Write in direct lines. The best writing is clear and concise.
- Choose your words carefully.
- Sentences that are short and long are more powerful.
- Write short paragraphs
- Use the active voice only.
- Edit and review your work.
- Use a naturally conversational tone.
- Read famous authors
What is informal speech?
An informal speech is a relaxed and casual language, like a conversation with friends. Often, informal speech includes slang, contractions, and colloquial phrases.
What speech style is informal language?
Languages of informal origin are more casual and spontaneous. Communication with friends or family is done either in writing or in conversation. There are several uses for it in email messages, text messages, and in business correspondence. Formal language is more personal than informal language.
What are some examples of informal language?
|Formal language||Informal language|
|Academic writing/ articles||In everyday conversations|
|Professional academic situations||Personal emails|
How do you best keep from being informal in your writing?
Do not use contractions in your paper, such as “didn’t” instead of “did.” Furthermore, remove any personal pronouns or emotional words like “I think,” “Your,” and “we should all.”.