A casual style of communication is characterized by everyday language…
A casual style of communication is characterized by everyday language use, as opposed to a formal style. This type of language use is more appropriate for individuals with a personal relationship.
What is a Casual Style of Communication?
A casual style of communication, as the term implies, brings to mind informal conversation, often between friends and acquaintances. It is easy to approach, free of all pretense, and is not used for high-pressure conversations.
You would want to use a casual communication style with people you are familiar with and trust.
Casual communication occurs with friends, family, and individuals in business, entertainment, and other walks of life. It is commonly used in social events such as a friend’s birthday, a wedding, or a party.
The casual communication style tends to be informal and relaxed, but not “rude” or without manners. It uses slang languages or expressions that can easily be understood without giving too much information.
Features of Casual Communication Style
The casual communication style is used when you write or speak to familiar people. It allows you to use expressive language. The subject matter of the conversation is usually informal and relaxed.
Often, casual speakers intend to maintain the flow of dialogue rather than say anything extraordinary or use specific expressions or vocabulary.
The following features are peculiar to the casual communication.
- Jokes and humor.
- Slang language: “Wow,” “That’s cool.”
- Informal abbreviations.
- Use of abbreviations or slang symbols rather than complete words in writing.
- The speaker allows the listener to interrupt and participate in the conversation.
- Use of contractions: “That’s true,” “What’re you up to?” “Where’d she go?” “That’s great.”
When is it Appropriate to Use the Casual Style of communication?
The casual speech style is a style of speaking that is warm, friendly, easygoing, informal, and often uses slang. In casual communication, the speaker is comfortable and at ease. The listener is focused on the speaker’s message rather than how they express it.
The casual style of speaking is also characterized as informal, candid, and timely and does not often address the conventional communication rules. You can use the casual speech style in the following scenarios.
- When speaking with family and friends: The casual style of speaking is the most appropriate to use with friends and family.
- In a social event/gathering: You would use this communication style during a special event such as a wedding or party.
- When the audience is well-known to you: When communicating with a familiar audience, you want to express yourself quickly and effectively. It is best to use the casual speech style when your message requires a high level of emotion that you want to convey.
- When speaking to your employees and client: The casual communication style is generally used to communicate with clients. It helps maintain a friendly, informal and relaxed atmosphere. As an employer, you would use the casual communication style to talk to your employees about company business.
- When speaking to your business partners: The casual style of communication emphasizes informality, ease of communication, and lack of rules and formalities. Even though we may dress formally, we do not necessarily communicate that way. You can be in business attire and speak in a casual language with ease.
To Wrap Up
The casual communication style is less formal in that it allows for more animated communication and a friendly tone. It is acceptable to use slang and contractions to communicate when speaking casually. However, they should never be used too often to be considered signs of inappropriateness or mockery.
It would be best to use the casual communication style only when the audience or person being addressed is relaxed and familiar to you.
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between casual and formal speech style?
The forms of language do not use colloquialisms, contractions, or first person pronouns such as ‘I’ or ‘We’. Languages that are informal and spontaneous are more casual. The text is used to communicate with friends or family either in writing or in conversation.
What is an example of a casual communication style?
Include phone calls, everyday conversation with friends, chats, inside jokes, etc.
What is the example of casual?
Casual is defined as someone or something that is relaxed, occasional, not planned or informal. Casual clothing is jeans and a t-shirt. Meeting someone for coffee is one example of casual date. When you’re watching a movie, you may encounter someone casually.
What are the features of the casual style?
Style Features of Casual Style. It is made up of all of the comfort that every individual needs to have.
What is formal style of communication?
To use a definition, formal communication is (1) a style of speaking or writing that is neutral, orderly, controlled, explicit, follows protocol, and without evidence of close personal acquaintance, or (2) the formal, planned communication processes within .
What is the importance of casual communicative style?
A variation of the language known as casual style increases motivation to be more active in class. Casual style can be memorized and applied easily. The casual style tends to adjust the culture of the speaker in communication so that it can be easily understood.
What is casual writing style?
First person writing is often written in a casual style. A casual writing style often refers to the reader as “you” or by someone’s name. You might refer to yourself or yourself as “I.”. If you were to write more formalally, you might use phrases like “a person” instead of “you.”.
How is workplace communication different from the casual conversation?
Providing formal information about a workplace is known as informal communication. There is a hierarchy of business organization that dictates it. It follows no rules of predetermined policy that formal communication follows and is the opposite to formal communication.
How do you communicate with others in a casual situation?
- Let’s Talk Up Front. Ashley Batz/Bustle.
- You may share your most basic expectations.
- Use “I” Statements
- What The Right Questions Are.
- If You Have These Habits, Share What You Think.
- Talking About Sex Can Be Proactive.
- To discuss important matters in private, please do so.
How do you have a good casual relationship?
- What you want and why you want it.
- You need to tell your partners exactly what you want from the relationship.
- Keep yourself honest
- Check in often
- If things aren’t going as planned, tell them.
- Keep yourself true
How often should you communicate in a casual relationship?
Keeping it casual may mean two or three times every week. By only texting your partner a couple of times, you give your partner some space and give them a chance to reach out first. It may be helpful to send your partner a text to let them know you’re thinking about them or to plan when you’ll see them next.
What type of language do we use in casual and intimate speech style?
A casual style in communication is spoken in a casual manner. Families, close friends, couples, and all those who have close relationships use it most often. According to Joos (1976: 155), intimate language style is an attempt to avoid giving information outside of the speaker’s skin.
What is casual style in English?
Casual wear (or casual attire or clothing) is a Western dress code that is casual, seasonal, spontaneous, and suitable for everyday use.
What is a casual conversation?
What does casual conversation mean? Talk, chatter, chitchat, gossip, table talk, trivial conversation, joke, kidding, ribbing, dialoguing, and small talk would all be casual conversations.