What comes to a naive mind when dwelling on “how…
What comes to a naive mind when dwelling on “how to shorten an essay” is that, it is a tedious and meticulous task.
How to shorten an essay
Shortening an essay is not difficult when you grab the right tips and tricks. These are the best common ways to make your assigned essay shorter in terms of pages. Some of these methods may reduce the essay by three or four pages. Some may cause more pages, and some may create a more elusive outcome.
Experiment with your submission and find the ideal combination. Do not worry about the assignment due date; focus on the cat.
The five best ways to make an essay shorter include:
1. Start with a thesis statement. A good thesis statement is the foundation of a well-rounded paper. When you begin your essay, make a clear statement. Be able to back that statement up if necessary, but be prepared to argue for it in a strong sense. Avoid the sentence “I believe that X.” Instead, state a thesis to help the reader understand exactly how you feel and why.
2. Read your essay out loud. This will help you find areas that need improvement, and it will keep you aware of the pace of this activity.
3. Take notes. It is easy to get caught up in this activity and lose sight of what else needs to be done. Make a note of the best ideas that come to you while doing this research activity.
4. When writing the thesis, write down how you will prove or support it. Read your essay aloud again, and look for areas where you need more information.
5. If your project is expository, the most commonly misunderstood aspect is the conclusion. You need to write the conclusion at the end of your project. Make sure it is clear, concise, and to the point.
Can we shorten our essays through paraphrasing? Yes, we can. However, many students mistake rewording what they learn in the book. To create a properly-written paraphrase, you need to understand the original text and also be careful to maintain its organization.
Paraphrasing language that is poor, vague, or missing essential details can have a significant impact on the audience. To write a good paraphrase, you need to practice and review it before publishing.
The best way to write a good paraphrase is that the writer expresses his ideas in his own words. While paraphrasing, ensure your reader understands what you mean by your sentences and writing.
Write More Concisely – Tips to Shorten Your Essay
Need help on how to shorten an essay? Shortening your essay is not a difficult thing to do, but it might require some effort. You will have a concise and engaging essay if you follow these steps!
Here are eight proven tips to shorten your essay:
1. Use simple, everyday words. Don’t try to conceal yourself behind big words. They will only exacerbate your flaws.
2. Remove any unnecessary words.
Examine your adverbs (strongly, gratuitously), adjectives (large, great), and qualifiers (very, somewhat). The majority of the words you don’t need can be found here. Consider whether they are necessary. If not, get rid of them.
3. Avoid using nominalization.
How many times have you suffocated a verb by making it a noun?
(delude – delusion, exclude – exclusion, contract – contraction) Stop it!
4. Avoid using these five words too close to a verb.
Desist from using the words’ take,’ ‘give, “make,’ ‘conduct,’ and ‘come’ too close to a verb or a nominalized verb phrase. They detract from the clarity of your sentences.
Example: ‘The organization needs to take the defects into consideration.’ should be ‘The organization needs to consider the defects.’
Other tips to shorten your essay include:
5. Make use of strong, specific verbs and nouns. This allows you to avoid using the passive voice, cut down on wordiness, and eliminate modifiers and qualifiers.
6. Make use of the active voice.
You must use the active voice if you follow plain language rules. It assists you in simplifying your message and saying precisely what you want to say. The active voice eliminates uncertainty. We are always aware of who is doing what. The Hemingway App assists you in identifying passive voice.
7. Avoid using jargon.
Overused phrases in a company or industry lose all meaning. Please refrain from using the terms’ like, ‘think outside the box,’ ‘win-win situation,’ ‘low-hanging fruit,’ and ‘pushing the envelope.’ Your readers will ignore you if you don’t say what you mean.
8. Avoid using verbs that require you to ‘tell.’
When used to describe something, these ten verbs will unnecessarily increase your word count.
These ten verbs are appeared, mused, seemed, thought, wondered, seemed, felt, decided, heard, and realized. Stay away from them.
Shortening an essay requires a lot of focus, but the payoff is well worth the effort. Try out these tips, and soon you’ll be able to significantly shorten your essay without removing any significant content from the piece.
Think about your essay like a puzzle. You can add and subtract individual pieces to make the picture stronger.
Frequently asked questions
What makes a good essay?
The essay should have one single central idea. That paragraph should have a clear main topic sentence. Each paragraph should support or expand the central idea of the essay. Each paragraph should be explained and illustrated in terms of examples, details, and descriptions.
How do you shorten a sentence?
- Use readability statistics. On your computer, this will do the counting for you.
- Count the commas
- Cut unnecessary conjunctions
- One thought for every paragraph.
- Remove redundant words
- You need to reduce your word count.
How do you shorten a paper?
- Remove your three worst paragraphs.
- Read your paper out loud using Google Translate or Excel.
- Reread the Marking Criteria.
- Sentences are shorter than long paragraphs.
- Delete Irrelevant Words
Is there a summarizing tool?
QuillBot’s summary helps you quickly categorize articles, papers, or documents down to the key points. Natural language processing is used to locate critical information while maintaining the original context.
What is an essay format?
Introduction, body, and conclusion define a basic essay. This basic essay format will help you write and organize an essay. Nevertheless, flexibility is important. Keep this basic essay format in mind, allowing the topic and specific assignment to guide the writing and organization.
How do you summarize a long essay?
Read a great deal of essay information quickly before you begin. If you read it once, write down what you think the main idea of the article is (or pick one sentence that tells you the main point or thesis of the piece).
What are the 5 parts of an essay?
- Body. First Point. Second Point. Third Point.
How do you shorten the length of an essay?
- Delete “The”
- Erase “That”
- This article removes advertisements and adjectives.
- Use Shorter Words
- Trim Wordy Phrases
- Choose Active Voice
- Revise Needless Transitions
- Eliminate Conjunctions
Is there an app to shorten sentences?
Using Hemingway App, you can write bold and clear. The app highlights many complex sentences and common errors; if you see a yellow sentence, shorten or split it.
How do you make a paragraph shorter?
To shorten a paragraph, eliminate unnecessary or redundant information. You should outline your paragraph with only one idea, outlined in an introductory sentence. The key to a good article is to elaborate on it in 2 to 3 sentences, eliminating phrases that deviate from the main objective.
What is the essay?
An essay generally describes the writer’s perspective or story. It is commonly referred to as a story, a paper, or an article. There are various styles of essays.
What is the best text Summarizer?
- Free Summarizer
How do you count 300 words in an essay?
- 1st step: Add words per line.
- Then count the lines per page.
- Step 3: Multiply
- 4. You are already familiar with the number of words per page, so multiply 176 by the total pages of your composition/essay.
How can I shorten my college essay?
- You can circle or highlight any adverbs. Take them out.
- If you notice a comma, you can expect a single word or short phrase.
- Delete helping verbs
- Let’s Delete to be verbs.
- Nouns that get turned into verbs: “I concluded” is better than “I came to the conclusion.”.
Can Grammarly cut down words?
Check out Grammarly: you can use it to remove filler words from your writing so that you can clearly explain your point.