In our dictionary and thesaurus corner today, we’ll look at…
In our dictionary and thesaurus corner today, we’ll look at the phrase believe. This word is widely used in conversation. To utilize it properly, you must completely understand its meaning and applications. We’ll also go over believe synonyms, antonyms, and example phrases.
We’ll start with its definition, then compare and contrast synonyms and antonyms of believe.
The Definition of Believe
Believe is a verb; its noun form is belief. Here are the definitions we associate with this word:
- Being persuaded that something or someone is true or honest.
- To accept something or someone’s word.
- Having a strong belief in something’s goodness, efficacy, or capability.
- To have an opinion on a matter.
- Having faith in a higher being.
Now that we know its definition, we will view some examples, including this word.
- I don’t think he is lying; I believe him.
- He is a firm believer in the notion that “there is no replacement for displacement!”
- Honestly, I don’t believe he can speak the language!
- Do you believe in God?
Believe Synonyms — Exploring Words With Similar Meanings
This can either be a noun or a verb. Its origins come from Middle English, most likely of Scandinavian origin, similar to Old Norse traust.
- Trust me; everything is going to be alright.
- He gained his trust by standing by him in hard times.
Credito comes from Old Italian credito, which comes from Latin creditum, which means “something entrusted to another,” and loan, which comes from the neuter of creditus. Credit can either be a noun or a verb and using it synonymously with believe isn’t common.
- They gave full credit to her report on this matter.
This synonym comes from Latin supponere. Suppose, instead of believe, isn’t that common either. However, it is more frequently used.
- At the beginning of the 20th century, many people supposed that cigarettes weren’t harmful.
- Just because Tony was his friend, he supposed he was telling the truth.
Antonyms of Believe
This antonym is believe, with the negation prefix dis-. So it is the exact opposite of believe.
- When the boy cried wolf for the third time, everyone disbelieved him.
- People reacted to the accusations about this beloved figure with disbelief.
Comes from Latin, suspectare. It can be a noun or a verb; as an antonym, it is a verb.
- After all the lies, I suspect everything that comes from his mouth.
We wish that this article has helped you comprehend the basics and similar terms of the word believe. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Frequently asked questions
How do you use believe in?
The meaning of believe in. Using pesticides is not what she is concerned about. The aim of having trust in someone is to (someone).
What is the full meaning of believe?
To accept something as true, genuine, or real, we believe in, or to believe in ghosts. b : to have a firm or wholehearted faith or persuasion : : consider God as an existential fact Do you believe? —.
What is the opposite believe?
As opposed to having a belief or opinion about something, sometimes irrational. distrust. disregard. refute. disbelieve.
What is the synonym of believe?
You will find 74 synonyms, antonyms, terminological expressions, and related words for believe, such as: believe, be confident, accept, be convinced, conclude, affirm, think, be certain, trust, post.
What is example of antonym?
An antonym is a word with the opposite meaning of another word. Small is a measure of limited size, while big is measurable by large size. ‘Happy’, a feeling of satisfaction, is an antonym for sadness,’supreme sorrow’. Nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs have antonyms, although not all do.
What is synonyms and antonyms of believe?
What are the 20 antonyms?
What is another word for strongly believe?
|have faith||be certain|
|be convinced||have a conviction|
What are synonyms for believe?
This page contains 34 synonyms, antonyms, and idiomatic expressions that describe believed, including: deemed, considered, supposed, understood, trusted, accepted, regarded, postulated, gathered, thought and.
What is a opposite word?
Words that are opposites. A word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are analogous.
How do you say I believe in an essay?
- “In my opinion, + [your sentence]”.
- “That’s my belief plus [your sentence]”.
- “..In my mind, + [your phrase]”.
- The sentence would seem to be that plus [your].
- + [your sentence] is possible, it could be said.
- The following suggests that + [your sentence].
- That proves it with [your sentence]”.
What is antonyms give 5 examples?
- early — late
- young — elderly
- fat — slim
- fast — slow
- wise — foolish
- happy — wistful
- warm — cool
- hard — easy
Is trust a synonym of believe?
Often, trust is the belief that someone or something won’t let you down. As a verb, trust is also a means to be confident. Trusting someone in this way is often when one relies on, counted on, depended, or even believed in them.
What is a Synonym for do not believe?
Are synonyms and antonyms?
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning as other words. Anonymous words have the opposite meaning to a word. Choosing the right synonym is essential for your writing.