If you’re looking to use claim synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms for claim, including the antonyms. You’ll learn read some sample sentences that include the synonym.
The Definition of Claim
The dictionary defines “claim” as a noun and verb. When you “claim” something, you attempt to convince someone that it’s accurate and reliable. Also, “claiming” a product means you wish to take it as your possession by right.
The noun definition of “claim” is a kind of dispute that you file when someone owes you a due. It can be debt, an answer to a query, or a concern you wish to settle. The term is widely referred to in the legal platform.
- The researchers claim a possible leak from the Nuclear Plant’s main generator tube.
- China continues to claim the territories rightfully within the Philippine sovereign domain.
- I will file a claim tomorrow regarding my colleague’s outstanding debt of USD 400,000.
- The family will seek a lawyer’s advice regarding the claim.
- My sister claimed our parents’ property last year.
Claim Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
Claim synonym examples include assert, declare, profess, maintain, state, hold, affirm, and avow. Other words with similar meaning include aver, protest, insist, swear, attest, argue, submit, and move.
“Demand” is one of the most common synonyms for “claim,” which derives from the Old Latin term “demandare.” The etymology translates to “give the formal right” or “entrust.”
- I demand to have our land’s title immediately.
Another widely known synonym for “claim” is “assertion.” It came from the Latin term “asserere,” which means “to declare” or “to claim something.”
- David’s assertion of dominance annoys everyone in the workplace.
This synonym for “claim” came from the Latin term “requierere,” which means “to seek an answer” or “to ask for something.”
- Expect the approval of your request in an hour or two.
“Right” came from the Middle English term “riht,” which means “ruled” or “freedom.”
- If they ask to operate your house without a warrant, state your s against unlawful search.
Claim Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The exact opposite of the term “claim” is “disavow.” It came from the root word “vow,” while adding the negative prefix “disa-.” Therefore, “disavow” means “to disown” or “break a vow.”
- Despite being true to him, Kurt disavowed his covenant with Sarah.
“Reject” came from the Latin word “rejacere,” which means “to throw back” or “dispose.”
- The bank rejected my loan.
“Repudiate” is one of the rarest antonyms of “claim.” The term is related to anything that has to do with divorce. It came from the Latin “repudiatus,” which means “divorced.”
- Should you try to lay with another woman, expect your wife to repudiate your marriage.
To Wrap Up
Knowing the variations of words may help you write better articles in the future. Use this claim synonym guide to avoid redundancy in your content. Learning new words is an essential to improving as a writer.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…