Did you find it difficult to come up with a suitable consequences synonym when writing? It can be challenging to find words that fit the context without changing the meaning.
While there are numerous similar words for ‘consequence’ in the Thesaurus or dictionary, here are the most common ones. Keep reading to learn the closest consequence synonyms, antonyms, and definitions with example sentences.
The Definition of Consequences
Consequence functions as a noun in English. Based on the dictionary, ‘consequence’ refers to a particular outcome of an action or situation, usually one that is unfavorable or unpleasant. It could also refer to a condition that has a lasting effect or importance.
The word came into Middle English through Old French from Latin consequentia and consequent, meaning “following closely.”
- Even one error in the experiment can have severe consequences.
- What are the economic consequences of the pandemic?
- The decrease in sales is a consequence of poor marketing strategies.
- What happened in the past is of no consequence to me.
- He is already suffering the consequence of his pride and arrogance.
Consequences Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
It means an unpleasant effect that follows an event or accident after an interval, often lasting for a long time. It also refers to a delayed effect of a stimulus.
- A prolonged headache could be an aftereffect of your head injury.
- The aftereffect of the war was heart-wrenching.
Aftermath refers to the time after a significantly unpleasant or destructive event.
- The country is trying to stabilize its economy in the aftermath of the war.
- People needed more shelter in the aftermath of the earthquake.
A thing or outcome that happens or occurs because of something else. It primarily refers to the consequence of an action.
- He couldn’t play as a result of his leg injury.
- You will get the result of your hard work.
‘Repercussion’ is an unpleasant or unfavorable effect of an action, event, or decision on something else. It is usually an unintended outcome or reaction that has a long-term impact on people.
- The country heavily felt the repercussions of the war.
- You should consider the repercussions of your actions.
‘Reaction’ is the behavior, thought, or action in response to an event or situation. It could also refer to an action or attitude that expresses dissatisfaction or disagreement with something else.
- There has been a strong reaction against the new policies.
- The holiday announcement caused a happy reaction on everyone’s face.
Consequences Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Cause means a person or thing that leads to an action, event, or situation. It also refers to the reason why something is happening, especially something unfavorable or bad.
- The report shows no specific cause of the high fever.
- We still don’t know the cause of the accident.
Origin refers to the initial or beginning point of something. It is the place or source where something is created.
- Her childhood trauma was the origin of all the health issues later in life.
- This book is all about the origin of our universe.
Source refers to a person or place from where something starts or is obtained. You may also use ‘source’ to mean the cause of something.
- My mother has always been a source of support for me.
- The products are sourced from different countries.
‘Reason’ is a fact or statement that provides an explanation or justification for an action or event. It also refers to why someone behaves in a particular way. Reason also means the power to judge logically.
- What is the reason for your strange behavior?
- There must be a reason why she didn’t attend the meeting.
Inception means the starting point or beginning of an official activity or organization. It also refers to the act or process of beginning.
- She has been working with the institution since its inception.
- It has been a controversial project since its inception.
To Wrap Up
This consequences synonym guide is meant to enhance your vocabulary knowledge and improve your writing quality.
When you can use multiple related words to express the same idea, only then will your audience be engaged in your writing. Whether you’re a blogger, content writer, or student, this post will help you learn the most common synonyms of the word ‘consequences.’
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…