Deciding on the right word to replace the term ‘decision’…
Deciding on the right word to replace the term ‘decision’ can be a challenge in itself. The frequent use of the same word ‘decision’ can make any piece of writing dull and unappealing to the readers.
Therefore, we must refrain from repeating the same word and use a similar word that conveys the meaning without making writing monotonous.
This decision synonym guide will help you learn some suitable synonyms and antonyms of the term with example sentences.
The Definition of Decision
‘Decision’ originates from the Latin decidere, meaning “determine.” It refers to a choice or opinion made after careful consideration. ‘Decision; also denotes the ability to quickly act or make choices with confidence. Based on the English dictionary, the term ‘decision’ functions as a noun.
- He has made his decision to study law.
- I am old enough to make my own decisions.
- Have you reached a decision yet?
- Please let me know your final decision.
- We need someone who can act with decision under pressure.
Decision Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
Synonyms for decision include resolution, settlement, commitment, resolve, conclusion, and choice. Other words with similar meanings are option, selection, ruling, verdict, and recommendation.
It is the noun form of the verb ‘resolve,’ which originates from the Latin resolvere, meaning “to loosen, undo, settle.” It refers to a strong promise or firm determination to do or not do something. The term also denotes finding the solution to a specific problem or conflict.
- He made a resolution to quit smoking.
- We need to come to a resolution regarding the conflict.
It stems from the Old French jugement and juger, meaning “to judge.” The term refers to the act of forming an opinion or making a final decision after careful thought or reasoning. It denotes the ability to evaluate all possible factors and come to a reasonable conclusion.
- It’s better to evaluate the evidence before making a judgment.
- We need to make a judgment about the proposed policies.
‘Conclusion‘ originates from the Latin concludere, where con- means “completely,” and cludere means “to shut.” It refers to the final thought or decision reached after much thought and reasoning.
- What was the conclusion of the court case?
- I don’t think the conclusion was based on proper evidence.
‘Settlement’ comes from the Old English term setlan, meaning “cause to sit, place, put.” The word refers to an official agreement or decision made to resolve an argument or conflict.
- Both the parties are discussing the case to reach a settlement.
- She managed to get the house in the divorce settlement.
‘Agreement’ comes from the Old French term agreer, meaning “make agreeable to.” It refers to a legally binding contract between people to decide the course of action.
- I can start working after signing the contractual agreement.
- The two parties will sit for a trade agreement today.
Decision Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Antonyms for decision include beginning, disagreemnt, source, deferment, indecision, and refusal.
‘Indecision’ refers to the inability or difficulty of a person to make a decision quickly. When you find it difficult to make up your mind between two possible choices, you are indecisive.
- Her indecision over which ice cream flavor to choose has been going on forever.
- I must overcome my indecision over where to go on vacation this summer break.
‘Disagreement’ refers to an argument between people caused by differences in opinions or ideas about something. It also denotes the state of being different from something else.
- We need to resolve the disagreements for the betterment of the company.
- There are some disagreements on the project details.
‘Dissension’ refers to disagreements or arguments among a group of people over something important. The term ‘dissension’ means a great difference between opinions and sentiments between parties.
- The incident caused bitter dissension between the coworkers.
- There was some serious dissension going on in our department.
‘Wavering’ refers to the act of switching between two options or opinions because of uncertainty. You’re wavering when you can’t decide between two courses of action.
- The board is wavering between the top two candidates for the position.
- Why are you wavering from your intentions?
‘Hesitation’ means to briefly pause or stop before doing something because of doubt or uncertainty. When someone is unsure whether or not to proceed with something, they hesitate.
- Her hesitation with the offer was visible on her face.
- You can answer without hesitation.
To Wrap Up
In this decision synonym guide, we have outlined some commonly used similar and opposite terms for ‘decision’ in different contexts. And if you encounter other words apart from those mentioned in this post, always look them up in a Thesaurus. It will enhance your vocabulary knowledge and improve your writing quality to engage the readers.
Frequently asked questions
How do you write a guide?
Remember that when writing your Guide, you need to write in plain English to make your content as understandable as possible. You should arrange your content so that the most important information is at the top. Separate content into sections that are easy to read. Use headings to organize the content and keep users occupied.
What is the synonym and antonym of Clear?
adj.cloudless, bright. adj.understandable, apparent. adj.open, unhindered. adj.transparent. adj.not guilty.
Which is the best antonym for the word guide?
- leave alone
What is decision synonym?
What is a final decision?
Contexts of a final decision. The judgment ends with the court proceeding; after the judgment (or a appeal from it) is rendered, all that remains is to enforce it. synonyms: final judgment.
What is this decision-making?
The process of decision making involves identifying a decision, gathering information, and evaluating alternative resolutions. By organizing relevant information and defining alternatives, you can make more deliberate, thoughtful decisions.
What is an antonym for guidance?
Antonyms. Approval approval unbelieving belief unhappy unhappy frustrated discontented.
Can’t make a decision word?
1. Ignorant is someone who can’t decide the right issue or make a decision.
What is a antonym for decision?
Antonyms. Indecisiveness indecisivity descends from irresoluteness. Bring resolution to firmness resoluteness to firm resolution.
How do you make a decision?
- Don’t let stress take over you.
- (If possible) Take some time to relax.
- Make a comparison of the pros and cons.
- I suggest you think about your goals and values.
- You should fully consider all possibilities.
- Talk it out
- Keep a diary
- Make sure you tell others how you will.
How do you use decision in a sentence?
- This was a difficult decision for her.
- This might be the toughest decision she’d ever make.
- He takes final decisions.
- No longer is it a decision or a wish.
- This decision was not taken lightly.
- There was a decision made, right or wrong.
What is the synonym of guide?
Examples of guide include engineer, lead, pilot, and steer. All these words mean to direct in a course or outline the way to follow, but Guide implies intimate knowledge of the way and of all its difficulties and dangers. Guided scouts in the cave.
What type of word is decision?
The word type of decision is a noun.
What’s the base word for decision?
The Latin decider (“decide”) originally comes from decision. Every day, you make decisions: what to wear, what to eat, how to spend your money, who to vote for, what movie to watch. A court judge makes a decision during a trial (and actually “hands down” or “announces” that decision).