‘Efficient’ connotes “thorough and careful use of resources; not consuming extra.” A common efficient synonym exampleis “systematic.”
This article explores other synonyms of the terms, including their etymology. You’ll also find the antonyms of the term in this comprehensive guide.
Definition of Efficient
‘Efficient’ is from Latin efficientem, participle of efficere (“work out, accomplish”). The adjective ‘efficient’ describes a skillful use of energy or industry to accomplish desired results without waste of effort: efficient methods; an efficient manager.
The dictionary defines efficient as “making good, thorough, or careful use of resources; especially time or energy.” It is also a way of expressing the proportion of consumed energy that was successfully used in a process. Something is said to be efficient when it causes effects, produces results, and initiate changes.
Examples of “Efficient” in Sentences
- Our workers are very efficient: they carry out tasks on time.
- Janell is the most efficient worker on her team, it’s time to give her a promotion.
- The new machine the company purchased is highly efficient.
Efficient Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
Synonyms for efficient include well-organized, systematic, structured, well-planned, logical, methodical, orderly, productive, and proficient. Other terms related to efficient include potent, expedient, workable, fruitful, optimal, high-performing, high yielding, sufficient, beneficial, energy-saving, satisfactory, frugal, and sensible.
Systematic describes something carried out using a planned, ordered procedure. The term is from French systématique and late Greek sustēmatikos.
- Johnson presented the report in a systematic manner.
- It would be best if you drafted a systematic plan for the commencement of the project.
Structured is the past-participle of structure.‘Structure’ itself is from Latin structūra (“a fitting together, adjustment, building”), and struere, past participle structus (“pile up, arrange, assemble, build”). Something that is structured is organized to produce results.
- I have a structured study timetable that includes break hours.
- We need to create a structured work plan.
The term is from logic + -al. Logic is from Middle English logike, and Latin logicus. Something logical agrees with the principles of logic; reasonable.
- The exam questions appear logical.
- I had a logical discussion with the marketing team on how to improve their success.
Orderly originates from order + -ly. It means “methodical or systematic,” something done correctly.
- Please put your room in an orderly condition.
- Our sitting position in the exam hall was orderly, disallowing cheating.
Productive is borrowed from Late Latin productivus. Productive describes something that can produce, especially in abundance; fertile.
- I had a productive meeting with the software team this afternoon.
- Our meeting with the prospective clients turned out to be productive.
Antonyms for Efficient — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The term is the opposite of efficient. It is from in- which means opposite of + efficient. Inefficient means “not producing or incapable of producing the desired effect.”
- The new director is highly inefficient.
- The employee was dismissed due to inefficient management of the company’s funds.
Disorganized is from French désorganiser, from dés- “opposite of” + organiser“organize.” Disorganized means “to destroy the systematic connection or orderly arrangement of the parts of something.”
- Why is your room so disorganized? Please put it in order!
- A fight broke out and disorganized the party.
Incompetent is from French incompétent, Late Latin incompetentem, from in- “without/not” + Latin competentem (competent). Incompetent is the sense of lacking qualification or ability.
- The security personnel proved to be incompetent.
- An incompetent government will only cause a collapse in the country’s economy.
To Wrap Up
If you’re looking for efficient synonymexamples, you might consider systematic, structured, logical, or productive. Note, however, that these terms are contextual. While some may effectively replace the term‘efficient’ in a sentence, others may only be used in specific contexts.
The sentence examples highlighted in this article will help you understand how to use these terms maximally in writing.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…