According to the dictionary, influence is the ability or capacity to affect an outcome. A common influence synonym is “power.” It can also refer to the act of changing an outcome. Someone influential is someone who has a significant impact on related matters.
Let’s delve into the essence of what it means to have influence.
Etymology and Definition of Influence
The word “influence” comes from the Latin word, “influentia“, which means “to breathe in.” It also refers to providing a hint or suggestion to another person.
- The variables always influence the result.
- Goddard was an influential man. He was the leader of the organization, after all.
Influence Synonym – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
Influence is an ability or factor that can change an outcome. Influence also refers to the act of exerting power over someone. Some similar terms for the word “influence” are:
When used as a noun, it refers to the ability to exert one’s will over a scenario, person, or object. It can also refer to the act of influencing how something behaves.
- He lost control of his car. He could no longer steer it.
- Please try to control your urge to speak out of turn.
Refers to the ability to lead other people and alter the course of something. It is an influence bestowed upon someone. It can come from rank, status, permission, or education.
- The President has the authority to run the country and make decisions for the people of the United States.
- You are not authorized to make changes in administrative settings.
It is the ability to produce an effect by exerting physical pressure. It also applies to factors in nature or society.
- His urgent to succeed was the force behind his actions.
- There are forces that we cannot hope to understand.
It is a noun that describes conditions, standards, or directions that lead to a destination or goal.
- He found a way to enter the facility without being seen.
- He has a way of charming the audience.
Influence Antonym – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
When dealing with antonyms, always keep the spirit of the word in mind. It can be challenging to describe the absence of influence.
Refers to the state of having no power or influence. It can also refer to the inability to affect change.
- He was powerless when they took the magical stone.
- Many people were powerless against the might of the Romans.
Weakness refers to the state of being too weak to affect a person, place, or object. Someone weak does not influence the outcome of events. It can also refer to a part of the body that is too weak to endure pressure.
- His weakness caused the community to disregard him.
- Tom’s weakness meant that he did not have influence.
Refers to the state of having little to no effect on something.
- The impotence of the spell caused it to wear off quickly.
- The impotence of the new antiseptics allowed the infection to spread.
The main idea behind the word influence is the ability to make a difference. Don’t forget that English is an expansive language. There’s always a better word to use for the idea you want to describe. We hope that this guide was of good use to you.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…