A synonym is an alternative word for another. Synonyms allow…
A synonym is an alternative word for another. Synonyms allow writers to use different words while conveying the same meaning. An item synonym is ‘thing.’ Other alternatives for the term are outlined in this brief guide.
The Definition of Item
‘Item’ originates from Latin item (“also; in the same manner”). An item is a distinct physical object. It is the term for a unit, especially one that is part of a list, collection, or set. An item is a distinct element in an enumeration, account, or series. Additionally, it is an object of interest, attention, or concern.
- If you’re unsatisfied with the item, you’ll get a refund.
- My eyes caught an attractive item at the store, but I didn’t have sufficient money to pay for it.
- An essential clothing item for hill walking is a windproof jacket.
- The first item on the agenda is the issue of cutting back on bus fares.
- Please confirm that each item was purchased as I dictated the list.
- David and Sarah were an item until he found out she had been lying the whole time.
- In the early 1990s, computers became a consumer item.
- The point of supply and demand determines the rock bottom price of a new item.
- The blacksmith around my house makes items using a variety of metals.
Item Synonym — Exploring words with Similar Meanings
The synonyms for ‘item’ are object, thing, artifact, piece, commodity, product, component, element, and feature. Other terms related to ‘item’ include: module, aspect, constituent, characteristic, and detail.
Object originates from Old French object, Medieval Latin obiectum (“thrown against”), from obiectus, the perfect passive participle of obiciō (“I throw against”). An object is a thing that has physical existence.
- Jerry shoved a shiny object at Michelle to get her attention.
- The object on the table gave Thompson a cold shiver.
Thing originates from Middle English ‘thing,’ Old English þing and Proto-Germanic *þingą. A thing is “that which is considered to exist as a separate entity, object, quality or concept.”
- Those who wait get good things in life.
- Who took the thing I kept on the table?
The term is from Latin articulus (“a joint, member, part, division, a point of time”), and Proto-Indo-European *h₂értus (“that which is fit together; juncture, ordering”). It connotes “an object, a member of a group or class.”
- The article Rachael bought at the store was a gift for her brother.
- I saw an article on the news that caught my attention.
Artifact is an alteration of artifact, from Italian artefatto, Latin arte (“by skill”) (ablative of ars (“art”)) + factum (“thing made”) (from facio (“to make, do”)). An artifact is an object made or shaped by a human hand or labor.
- I saw a beautiful artifact in the museum today.
- Software is a cultural artifact of the modern world.
The term is from Old French piece and Late Latin petia, pettia. A piece is a single item belonging to a class of similar items.
- Would you like a piece of cake?
- I had a piece of bread for breakfast.
Antonyms for Item — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Aggregate originates from Latin aggregātus, the perfect passive participle of aggregō (“I flock together”), from ag– (“to, toward”)) + gregō (“I flock or group”). An aggregate is “a mass, assemblage, or sum of particulars; something consisting of elements but considered a whole.”
- Michelle had a poor aggregate of test scores.
- The government had an aggregate of 26.7 percent support.
- The process was too expensive, and the aggregate effects faltered.
‘Compound’ is an item synonym that originates from Middle French componre, compondre (“to put together”), Latin componō, from Latin com- (“together”) + ponō (“to put”). A compound is composed of elements, not a simple entity.
- Honey is a compound of water, sugar, vitamins, and enzymes.
- Two or more elements combine to form a compound.
The word ‘whole’ originates from Middle English hole (“healthy, unhurt, whole”), Old English hāl (“healthy, safe”), and Proto-Germanic *hailaz (“whole, safe, sound”). A whole of something is the entire component.
- The whole family attended the neighbor’s event.
- I cleaned the whole house alone.
To Wrap Up
An item is a part of a whole, typically a piece. An item synonym is “object.” Other similar terms include thing, piece, artifact, commodity, and product. Synonyms give your writing a unique voice and provide readers with a captivating piece.
The antonyms for the word ‘item’ include aggregate, compound, and whole. A thesaurus is a helpful resource to expand your English language vocabulary.
Frequently asked questions
How do you write a guide?
There are certain things to remember when writing your Guide: write in plain language so your content is as understandable as possible. Make sure the most important items are at the top of your content. Don’t overwhelm readers with content that’s easy to read. Use headings to structure content and allow users to navigate.
What is the synonym and antonym of guide?
verb. Take someone somewhere (Gad). Antonyms. Reverse foot on rear tail and surrender impropriety. Lead lead astray, mislead, and misguide lead.
What is the synonym of item?
Article, object, unita, module, artefact, commodity, product, piece. Element, constituent, component, ingredient.
Are they an item?
If you say that two people are an item, you mean they are romantic or sexually engaged.
Which is the best antonym for the word guide?
- leave alone
What is a guide book?
Guidebook – a book that provides useful information about a particular subject.
What is the synonym word of guide?
Guides are often referred to as engineers, lead, pilots, and steerers. Despite the words that convey “to direct in a course or show the way to follow,” a guide implies intimate knowledge of the route and all its difficulties and dangers.
How do you say guide me?
- help me
- guiding me
- assist me
- be my eyes
- brief me
- brings me
- control me
- direct me
What do we call items in English?
Item 1 is a distinct part of an enumeration, account, or series: article. Appointments, interest, attention, or interest. A separate piece of news or information.
How do you use synonyms?
If you are using the word “beautiful” several times in your text, you might use synonyms such as “gorgeous,” “stunning,” or “ravishing” to better illustrate what you are saying. Simply repeating one word will keep your audience bored!
Is food an item?
Generally, a raw, cooked, or processed food item, ice, beverage, or ingredient is used or intended for use or sale in whole or in part for human consumption. Food includes ice, water, and flavored food ingredients.
What is an antonym for item?
Antonyms. Misconstruction inside outside end misconception.
Is it item list or items list?
‘Item list’ is okay; nevertheless, it is very unusual to use plural attributive nouns (? items list; but sports centre is fine, though this probably gained compound noun status through frequent usage). If you want, you may answer your own question.