Occurrence is a common term employed in formal English writing, which makes it one of the overused terms. Repeating the same word throughout your piece can degrade the quality of work and frustrate the reader. This occurrence synonym guide will help you learn the similar and opposite terms along with their definitions and usage.
Not satisfied with your copy? Rewrite it to make it better
The Definition of Occurrence
‘Occurrence’ comes via French and the Latin term occurrent- meaning “befalling,” which is from the verb occurrere. Based on the English dictionary, ‘occurrence’ functions as a noun. It refers to an occasion or episode that takes place unexpectedly.
- The sudden occurrence of a storm delayed our flight.
- The occurrence of the COVID-19 pandemic cost many lives.
- Flooding is a common occurrence in the lowlands of the country.
- Vandalism has been a frequent occurrence in this region.
Occurrence Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
The word came into use via Old French from the Latin incidens and incidō, meaning“to befall.” It refers to a situation or occurrence that is either unexpected, unusual, or unpleasant.
- The police are coming to investigate the incident.
- Communication was cut off between them after the unfortunate incident.
The word is augmented from the Middle English hap + en, meaning “to come to pass.” It refers to things that unexpectedly take place and are difficult to explain.
- The movie showed an uncanny happening.
- There was something strange happening at the hotel.
It comes from Latin eventus and evenire, meaning “result,” which was derived from e- “out of” and venire “come.” It refers to something important or notable that occurs.
- The event was to celebrate their business success.
- I am interested in political events.
‘Phenomenon’ originates from Greek phainomenon, meaning “thing appearing to view,” which is based on phainein, meaning “to show.” It refers to an observed fact or situation, especially one whose source or explanation is under question.
- Robbery has become a regular phenomenon in this state.
- A rainbow is a phenomenon when we have rain and sunshine at the same time.
‘Occurrence’ comes from Old French circonstance and Latin circumstantia, which dates back to circumstare, meaning “encircle, encompass.” The term refers to a situation, condition, or fact which is relevant or linked to an action.
- He wanted to go abroad for his studies, but the circumstances didn’t allow it.
- I couldn’t come because of unexpected circumstances.
Occurrence Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
‘Denial’ refers to the action of refusing or denying something requested or demanded. It could also be used to denote a claim that something is false or unreal.
- The authority issues an official denial of the charges.
- He stayed in denial even though he knew he was guilty.
‘Refusal’ refers to the act of expressing or showing a lack of willingness to do, offer, or accept something.
- I am tired of your refusal to meet me.
- My request for the advance payment was met with a refusal.
‘Reality’ is defined as something that genuinely occurs or exists, such as a real circumstance, affair, or occurrence.
- You should step out of your fantasy land and accept reality.
- What you have been told was far from reality.
‘Absence’ refers to a state where something desired, expected, or sought after does not exist or is not present. It also refers to keeping oneself away from a place or person.
- I cannot decide in his absence.
- His frequent absence from work concerns me.
‘Failure’ refers to an act or situation where something doesn’t turn out as it should. It is described as being unsuccessful in something.
- His new business was a complete failure.
- Don’t let failure trick you into thinking that you can’t succeed.
To Wrap Up
This occurrence synonym guide is crafted with the most common synonyms and antonyms of the word ‘occurrence.’ Now, you can replace the term with other similar words and make your writing more lively and professional. When you can learn the correct use of synonyms in a given context, that’s when you have truly mastered the language!
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Happen Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. Not satisfied with your…
For Example Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
Expectations Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
Environment Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Effective Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Discuss Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…