We use the term ‘quality’ in our daily life to…
We use the term ‘quality’ in our daily life to define the standard or distinctive attributes of someone or something. But quality may not perfectly fit every context where you need to express a similar meaning with a different tone.
Therefore, learning synonyms is important to enhance your writing skills. This quality synonym guide will help you familiarize yourself with similar and opposite terms along with examples.
The Definition of Quality
‘Quality’ originates from the Old French word qualite and Latin qualitas, which comes from qualis, meaning “of what kind, of such a kind.”
Based on the English dictionary, ‘quality’ functions as a noun. Quality describes the norms or traits of something or someone compared to others of a similar kind. It can also relate to the degree of excellence or standard of something.
- We need to improve the quality of our products to increase sales.
- For me, quality matters more than quantity.
- Don’t compromise the quality of work.
- This restaurant serves the highest quality of food to the customers.
Quality Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
‘Standard’ comes from the Old French estandart, meaning “gathering place, battle flag.” It refers to the rules set up as a model for measuring the level of quality that is considered acceptable.
- Your work does not meet our standards.
- They have a high standard of customer service.
‘Grade’ originates from the French and relates to the Latin word gradus, meaning “step.” Initially, the term referred to a unit of angle measurements, but later it was used to describe degrees of excellence. Grade refers to a particular level of competence, position, or caliber of performance.
- The bag may not look attractive, but it is of high-grade leather.
- Her grades are improving every semester.
‘Attribute’ originates from the Latin verb attribuere, which is from ad- “to,” and tribuere, meaning “give or bestow.” It refers to the inherent characteristics or quality of a person, group, or object.
- Politeness is one of her best attributes.
- He attributed the success of the project to his supervisor.
‘Class’ comes from the Latin classis, meaning “a division of the Roman people, a grade, or a class of pupils.” It refers to a group of things that share some common trait and is distinguished by kind, quality, or type.
- The candles added a touch of class and sophistication to the table.
- This restaurant is one of the best in town and has a superior class of the food.
‘Trait’ originates from French and the Latin term tractus, meaning “drawing, drought.” By the mid-18th century, the meaning of the word was used in a sense as “a particular feature of mind or character.” A trait is a distinctive quality or attribute, usually one that belongs to an individual.
- Her blue yes was a trait inherited from her mother.
- Sincerity is the most important trait we’re looking for in our employees.
Quality Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
‘Inferiority’ is a state or condition where someone feels to be of a lower status or quality and less worthy than other people.
- The lack of appreciation led to a sense of inferiority in the child.
- Jessy denied being in a position of inferiority.
‘Poor’ refers to something with a low standard and not good enough in quality or condition. It could also mean someone who is not skilled at something.
The whole team gave a poor performance on the final stage.
He submitted a poor quality of work even after getting enough time.
‘Ordinary’ refers to someone or something with no special or distinctive features or quality.
- We are an ordinary family and can’t afford such luxuries.
- The food was very ordinary compared to the high price.
‘Substandard’ means something is below the required, usual, or acceptable standard.
- A lot of the people in this region are living in substandard housing.
- Immediately remove the substandard products from the showroom.
‘Unsatisfactory’ refers to something which is not good enough or adequate. You consider something unsatisfactory when it is not up to the standards to be acceptable.
- The new hires were fired for unsatisfactory performance.
- Her unsatisfactory answers caused her to be eliminated in the first round.
To Wrap Up
This quality synonym guide is meant to outline the most common synonyms of quality and understand their usage in the right context. Now you don’t have to repeat the same word throughout your piece to express the same idea. While you can find many more terms in a Thesaurus, this guide will brush up your vocabulary knowledge for the most common ones.
Frequently asked questions
What is the synonym and antonym of quality?
(kwl*ti) A degree or grade of excellence or value. Antonyms. Top quality, poor quality, inferior inferiority. A quality superior to a calibre low quality.
What is a guide called?
A guide leads travelers, sportsmen, or tourists through unfamiliar or unfamiliar places. The term can also refer to a person who leads others to more abstract goals, such as knowledge or wisdom.
Whats the opposite of quality?
What is adjective of quality with examples?
Quality adjectives describe what a person or thing is described as quality or qualities. These adjectives are white, nice, large, beautiful, excellent, kind, tall, etc. ‘What kind of thing’ is asked by them?
What is the meaning of antonyms?
A Britannica Dictionary definition of ANTONYM. A word with a meaning that is opposite to the meaning of another word. There are two synonyms for hot and cold.
What are antonyms for guide?
- leave alone
What do you mean by guide?
1a : One who leads or directs another’s route needs a guide for the safari. The museum guide was very helpful. This is something that gives information to someone who uses the stars as a guide when trying to find their way back. d : signpost sense 1.
What are guide words?
Definition of guide word: one or more terms at the top of the page of an alphabetical reference work (such as a dictionary) that indicate alphabetically first and last words on the page.
What are some examples of quality?
A quality judgement reflects how good something or someone is. This is an example of quality: a product that won’t break easily. Good-made products are an example of quality. (music) The timing according to the harmonics.
Why are there different definitions of quality?
The meaning of quality can be twofold: 1. A product or service’s characteristics determine its ability to meet implied or stated needs;. In a product or service, there are no deficiencies. Joseph Juran defines quality as “fitness for use.”.
Are synonyms and antonyms?
Synonyms are words that have the same meaning as another word, or almost the same. Antonyms are words that are opposites to words from another. Wording with the right synonym is important.
How do you use quality in a sentence?
- This material was of exceptional quality to her.
- We spent little quality time together.
- These algorithms will provide faster and higher quality.
- A quality stock makes him fit, and he is registered.
- Today, candor is often difficult to find in people.
What is your definition of quality?
There are a number of aspects of a product or service that determine its ability to satisfy certain needs. A quality marks an inherent or distinguished characteristic, such as a grade or degree of excellence. (.
What is the synonym of the word quality?
Quality is often defined as attribute, character, and property.
What is the opposite of high quality?