‘Remind’ is the word to make someone recollect or recall something. However, you can also use many other similar words to get your point across. Here’s a remind synonym guide to help in your vocabulary-building journey to becoming an awesome writer with these similar and opposite words
The Definition of Remind
According to the English Dictionary, “remind” is a verb. It refers to making someone aware of or remembering something they forgot about or being a cause of bringing back memories.
The term also suggests that you complete a task or make a note of something.
- I forgot to remind him about the party.
- You have to remind me to pick up the dress.
- Could you remind me to drop you off?
- The smell of the food reminded me of my grandma’s special dish.
Remind Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
‘Recall’ originates from the Latin revocare, or French rappeler, to mean “call back.” It refers to remembering or bringing back a thought or memory in one’s mind.
- I don’t recall meeting her.
- Can you recall when he last scolded you?
‘Recollect’ comes from Latin recollectus, the past participle of recolligere, which means “to collect again.” It refers to bringing back into awareness a thought or memory.
- She’s been trying to recollect the situation.
- From what he can recollect, the thief wore a yellow shirt.
It originates from the late Latin word rememorari, meaning “call to mind.” It refers to being able to recall or bring back some information in your mind or to retain a piece of information in memory.
- I can’t seem to remember his name.
- Do you remember me?
‘Reminisce’ comes from the Latin verb reminisci, meaning “to remember.” It refers to enjoying or recalling moments from the past.
- I like reminisce about school days often.
- I like to reminisce about my childhood.
‘Prompt’ originates from the Latin promere, meaning “to produce.” It refers to something, such as a cue or event, that causes or brings about a particular action or feeling.
- Her anger prompted her to knock the vase off.
- She prompted her sister to brush her teeth.
Remind Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
It originates from the Proto-West Germanic fragetan, meaning “to give up.” It refers to the inability to recollect a fact, event, or way of doing something.
- Did you forget my name?
- 12th June is a day I’ll never forget.
‘Disregard’ is derived from the Latin prefix dis- meaning “lack of” and the Old French regard meaning “take notice of.” It means to give no notice, attention, or consideration to something.
- I did not appreciate his disregard for the issue.
- She brushed off her husband’s disregard like it was normal.
‘Ignore’ comes from the French ignorer or Latin ignorare, “not know, not aware of.” It refers to deliberately not giving attention or consideration to someone or something.
- She gave off a glamorous vibe no one could ignore.
- I chose to ignore the youngsters rather than lashing out at them.
‘Neglect’ comes from the Latin neglegere, where neg- means “not” and legere, means ‘‘choose, pick up.’’ It means to disregard or fail to give something proper respect, love, or care.
- The child grew up in constant neglect.
- The whole house had a depressing air of neglect.
‘Overlook’ is derived from Middle English overloken, meaning “to examine carefully, scrutinize.” It means deliberately or mistakenly failing to count someone or something into consideration or regard.
- This is an issue we just can’t overlook.
- The police overlooked the theft case.
To Wrap Up
This short and simple remind synonym guide has hopefully helped you know the definition, synonyms, and antonyms of the word “remind.” There’s no limit to learning new words, and it’s always a plus if you can switch things up now and then.
Using different synonyms will make your writing come to life. And if you need more words in your vocabulary list, always check out a Thesaurus!
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…