The word strong has many different interpretations. It can be…
The word strong has many different interpretations. It can be used to describe great physical strength, emotional toughness, or strong feelings. This ambiguity emphasizes the importance of choosing a strong synonym that best encapsulates your thought.
We’ve scoured the English Dictionary and Thesaurus to compile a short list of strong synonyms, antonyms, and their examples.
Definition of Strong
A strong person is someone who is gifted with great physical and emotional qualities. It can also describe the manner or state of an action, object, or trait.
- Hercules was a strong demigod.
- The tour guide strongly discouraged swimming at night.
Strong Synonym – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
This word refers to someone or something of great influence. It can also be related to something that has a significant effect.
- The President is a powerful man. He has authority over matters of national security.
- There was a powerful explosion before the fire broke out.
This refers to a person or thing that fulfills its goals and functions well. This describes something that exhibits a strong impact on a matter.
- The rubbing alcohol was so effective that it eliminated 99.9% of bacteria.
- The mechanic provided an effective solution to my car-related problems.
This word describes someone or something that is physically strong. It can also refer to someone who can handle a difficult person or situation.
- A person who is very tough is able to make hard decisions.
- The battle was tough. Only the strong survived.
Refers to something or someone that can withstand the strain it is subjected to. It can also describe the manner in which a structure or vehicle is built.
- A sturdy boat needs strong men to traverse rough seas.
- His muscles were sturdy — they could withstand the weight of the barbells for an extended period.
This strong synonym can refer to an object that is well-built or a person who is determined and courageous. A stalwart object or person is difficult to break.
- The stalwart walls remain intact despite the relentless bombardment.
- The Vikings were stalwart people.
Strong Antonyms – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Sometimes, we need to point out a lack of strength in order to recognize a need for improvement. Here are some adjectives you can use.
Lacking strength. This can also describe the way a person or object looks.
- The structure was weak because it lacked a good foundation.
- His argument was weak because it failed to raise compelling points.
Describes a state of vulnerability. Something that is fragile can be easily broken.
- It was difficult to apprehend the fragile lady.
- Please handle the vase with care. It’s fragile.
Refers to an object that is built poorly. It can also refer to a poorly executed action.
- The curtains were flimsy. It was as though they were neglected.
- A good tailor never lets a client leave with flimsy clothes.
A feeble person is someone who is deficient in strength, power, influence, or health. It can also describe an action.
- The feeble elder was no match for the strong warrior.
- Please don’t bother with a feeble attempt to convince me.
This word is used to describe something that is easy to damage or break. It can also refer to something very small.
- A delicate flower may not survive harsh weather.
- The puppies are delicate. Please be gentle with them.
Strong synonyms have similar meanings but different contexts. If you want to gain mastery over the English language, it’s important to learn to consider the context behind each strong synonym.
A deeper understanding will help you deliver a strong and accurate message to your readers.
Frequently asked questions
What is the synonym of instructions?
nounorder; personal decree. bidding. charge. command. commandment.
What is a synonym for providing guidance?
You can find 30 synonyms, antonyms, synonyms for guidance, management, guidence, instruction, affect, lead, supervision, counseling, and guideline.
What are the 12 powerful words?
Analyze, Infer, Evaluate, Formulate, Describe, Support, Explain, Summarize, Compare, Contrast, Predict. What are the twelve powerful words? Because those are the words that always cause students greater difficulty than others on standardized tests.
Are lead and guide the same?
Leaders may organize and direct, but a guide shows us the way. In order to motivate us and keep us motivated, leaders need to lead us on the right path. Let God guide you, whether you are a leader or a follower.
What do you call a person who guides?
leader. The person or thing leading; directing, commanding, or leading the head, as a group or activity. 11. 2.
Is there such a word as Guider?
Director or guide; one who guides.
What it means to be a guide?
A guide was needed to guide another on the safari. It was very helpful to use the museum guide. As a guide, someone used the stars to guide them through their journey back.
How do you use guidance in a sentence?
- The assistance and guidance they need are endless.
- As I had no real authority and no guidance from you or anyone else, I had nothing to do.
- The idea is not guided by guidance.
- While he was a servant, Andre had been his confidante and mentor, whose advice had helped him navigate his role as the Immortals.
What is the noun of guide?
countable noun. Guides are books that provide you with information or instructions that can assist you in doing something or understanding something.
What is a fancy way to say strong?
Strong, strong, athletic, sturdy, robust, sturdy. Secure, solid, stable, steady, substantial, tenacious, tough, vigorous, aggressive.
What is the synonym of mentor?
Advisor, coach, guide, instructor, teacher, trainer, tutor, counsel, instruct, counsellor, edify, educate, explain, teach, aid, champion, help, sponsor, etc.
What is a good word for guide?
What is the original word for guidance?
guide (v.) late 14c., “to lead, direct, conduct,” from Old French guider, “advisor, lead, conduct.” (14c.), earlier guier, from Frankish *witan. The Italian guide; the Italian leader; both from the same source. Related: Guided; guiding.
What is the adverb form of strong?
You should begin exercising more regularly, Kelly adds. “Despite the delay, she ran strongly to win the event.” (rare) In a strong or strong manner.
What are different types of guides?
- Park guide
- Adventure guide
- Nature guide
- Historical guide. Tourists explore historical landmarks and points of interest such as ruins, temples, battlefields, and other historic sites.
- Museum guide
- City guide
- Freelance guide