The word strong has many different interpretations. It can be used to describe great physical strength, emotional toughness, or strong feelings. This ambiguity emphasizes the importance of choosing a strong synonym that best encapsulates your thought.
Not satisfied with your copy? Rewrite it to make it better
We’ve scoured the English Dictionary and Thesaurus to compile a short list of strong synonyms, antonyms, and their examples.
Definition of Strong
A strong person is someone who is gifted with great physical and emotional qualities. It can also describe the manner or state of an action, object, or trait.
- Hercules was a strong demigod.
- The tour guide strongly discouraged swimming at night.
Strong Synonym – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
This word refers to someone or something of great influence. It can also be related to something that has a significant effect.
- The President is a powerful man. He has authority over matters of national security.
- There was a powerful explosion before the fire broke out.
This refers to a person or thing that fulfills its goals and functions well. This describes something that exhibits a strong impact on a matter.
- The rubbing alcohol was so effective that it eliminated 99.9% of bacteria.
- The mechanic provided an effective solution to my car-related problems.
This word describes someone or something that is physically strong. It can also refer to someone who can handle a difficult person or situation.
- A person who is very tough is able to make hard decisions.
- The battle was tough. Only the strong survived.
Refers to something or someone that can withstand the strain it is subjected to. It can also describe the manner in which a structure or vehicle is built.
- A sturdy boat needs strong men to traverse rough seas.
- His muscles were sturdy — they could withstand the weight of the barbells for an extended period.
This strong synonym can refer to an object that is well-built or a person who is determined and courageous. A stalwart object or person is difficult to break.
- The stalwart walls remain intact despite the relentless bombardment.
- The Vikings were stalwart people.
Strong Antonyms – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Sometimes, we need to point out a lack of strength in order to recognize a need for improvement. Here are some adjectives you can use.
Lacking strength. This can also describe the way a person or object looks.
- The structure was weak because it lacked a good foundation.
- His argument was weak because it failed to raise compelling points.
Describes a state of vulnerability. Something that is fragile can be easily broken.
- It was difficult to apprehend the fragile lady.
- Please handle the vase with care. It’s fragile.
Refers to an object that is built poorly. It can also refer to a poorly executed action.
- The curtains were flimsy. It was as though they were neglected.
- A good tailor never lets a client leave with flimsy clothes.
A feeble person is someone who is deficient in strength, power, influence, or health. It can also describe an action.
- The feeble elder was no match for the strong warrior.
- Please don’t bother with a feeble attempt to convince me.
This word is used to describe something that is easy to damage or break. It can also refer to something very small.
- A delicate flower may not survive harsh weather.
- The puppies are delicate. Please be gentle with them.
Strong synonyms have similar meanings but different contexts. If you want to gain mastery over the English language, it’s important to learn to consider the context behind each strong synonym.
A deeper understanding will help you deliver a strong and accurate message to your readers.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Happen Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. Not satisfied with your…
For Example Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
Expectations Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
Environment Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Effective Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Discuss Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…