Synonyms are words that have similar meanings. The English phrase…
Synonyms are words that have similar meanings. The English phrase ‘according to’ describes something that conforms to or is in accordance with another. What’s a synonym for according to? This article will explore the phrase’s synonyms, antonyms, and examples.
The Definition of ‘According to’
According is from ‘accord’ + ‘ing.’ Accord is an English term derived from Old French acorder ‘to agree, reconcile, be of one mind.’ It also takes its origin from Vulgar Latin accordare “to agree,” and Latin ad- ‘to’ + cor, cord- ‘heart.’ Accord means “be in harmony.” Agree is a synonym for accord.
The English phrase ‘according to’ means“ means “in a way that corresponds to, or agrees with.” It also means “referring to, in a manner agreeing with” and as stated by.” It is often applied to persons, when referring to their opinions, views or statements.
- Johnson indicated that everything had to go according to plan.
- I’m not supposed to be here according to the rules.
- If we had worked according to my plan, we would’ve arrived hours ago.
- According to the designer, a curvy dress would fit perfectly.
- For perfect navigation, please drive according to the map preference.
- According to the woman’s story, the boys were at fault.
- According to the news report, the fire disrupted business.
Synonym for According To — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
A synonym for according to is ‘on the basis of.’ Other synonyms for the term are ‘in relation to’ and ‘in compliance with.’ Related phrases are ‘depending on, commensurate with, proportional to,’ and in the light of.’ Let’s look at some of the synonyms for the term.
The phrase means “to align oneself with or be in agreement with a particular point.”
- The low-cost housing location is in line with the company’s needs.
- The current school system is in line with the needs of the students.
On the basis of
‘On the basis of’ refers to something that is based on or on the grounds of something else.
- Students are assessed on the basis of their grades.
- These statistics were gathered on the basis of samples of 100 respondents.
In Compliance With
The English phrase ‘in compliance with’ originates from the Latin’ in congruentia cum’, which means ‘in harmony with something.’ The Latin verb ‘congruentia’ means ‘keeping in tune with something experienced or received.’
- He was charged to court in compliance with the civil laws.
- Jake wrote his book in compliance with the Bible.
- The building was demolished because it was not in compliance with the building code.
In Relation To
‘In relation to’ originates from the Latin root term: ‘relatio,’ which was then altered to ‘relatiuus.’ It refers to situations where two things or people are related or connected.
- Students in relation to teachers, should have a voice in the classroom.
- In relation to the body, the brain is a small part.
- He made the amendments in relation to recent security challenges.
Antonyms for ‘According To’ — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The phrase ‘different from’ is from Old French ‘different,’ and Latin differentem “differing, different,” present participle of differre “to set apart.” Different from means “not the same, unlike, dissimilar in nature.” The phrase is a direct contradiction to the word ‘according to.’
- Crime definition is different from state to state.
- Tapeworms are different from fluke worms due to their physiological characteristics.
2. Disagreeing With
‘Disagreeing with’ is from Latin dis- ‘apart’ and agere ‘be active.’ It means to ‘act apart’ or ‘act in opposition to’ a given idea. ‘Disagreeing with’ relates to being contrary to or making assertions that don’t align with the original concept or idea.
- He doesn’t like people disagreeing with him in public.
- There would be no point in disagreeing with the Director at a board meeting.
3. Conflicting With
The phrase ‘conflicting with’ originates from the Latin term ‘contra,’ whichtranslates to ‘against’ or ‘opposed to.’ The phrase means ‘not being in conformity with, not acting according to initial plans.’
- His ideas were conflicting with the management regulations.
- We must ensure price increases are not conflicting with our primary objectives.
To Wrap Up
In English, it is common to find multiple words with similar meanings. A synonym for according to is “in compliance with.” There are many other related words for the term, including “on the basis of.”
There are also words that are thought of as opposites, such as “different from.” This article has listed some antonyms and synonyms for ‘according to.’
Frequently asked questions
What is synonyms give 50 examples?
|Help||I couldn’t help but do it.||Assist|
|Say||I won’t say anything to anyone.||Tell|
|Rich||We all dream of becoming rich.||Wealthy|
|Naughty||He is a naughty boy.||Mischievous|
How do you write example in a sentence?
In lieu of the phrase it stands for, write it out as a phrase such as “for example,” or “in other words,” in the beginning of the sentence. Post a period after each letter. Keep a comma after the second period (note that in British English, there is no commas).
What does effective mean synonyms?
One of the common synonyms for effective is efficacious, effective, and efficient. Despite the use of the word “producing or capable of producing a result,” effective emphasizes the actual production of or the ability to produce an effect. an effective rebuttal.
What does effective example?
Effective is defined as something that is capable of achieving a desired outcome or end result. An example of effective argument is a strong argument that convinces others of your point. adjective.
How do you use effective in a sentence?
- Radio advertising is very effective for us.
- Communication using television is effective.
- To cure throat infections, antibiotics are effective.
- Several bacteria are resistant to this drug.
- The law is no longer in effect.
- This drug has shown its effectiveness.
What are the 20 synonyms?
What are 10 examples of synonyms?
|amazing: astounding, surprising, stunning||fertile, fruitful, abundant, productive|
|benefit: profit, revenue, yield||hungry: empty, ravenous, starved|
|brave: courageous, valiant, heroic||injured: damaged, wounded, harmed|
|cohesive: united, connected, close-knit||intelligent: brilliant, clever, smart|
What is the meaning of synonyms and examples?
Synonyms are words or phrases that mean exactly or nearly the same as another word, morpheme, or phrase in a given language. The English words begin, begin, commence, and initiate, for example, are synonyms of each other.
What are the 5 examples of synonyms and antonyms?
|Boisterous||Lively, Exuberant||Quire, Restrained|
|Linger||Stay put, Remain||Vanish|
What are synonyms give 5 examples?
- Small: tiny, tiny, mini.
- Burning, fiery, boiling
- Excellent, awesome, good
- Hard, challenging, and tough.
- Easy: We are straightforward, simple, and straightforward.
- Bad, terrible, horrible
- Big: huge, huge, giant.
- Cold, freezing, frosty
What is the full meaning of synonyms?
Synonyms are words that have the same meaning or nearly the same significance as another word in certain contexts. Adjectives are synonymous with. Synonymy is the relationship between words with close meanings. Contrast it with an antonym.
What are the 50 examples of antonyms examples?
- antonym and synonym
- hi and bye
- enemy and friend
- love and hate
- happy and sad
- truth and lie
- monarchy and democracy
- good and bad
What are 5 pairs of synonyms?
- Irreverent, misleading, and duplicative.
- Intuitive – contented, happy, joyful, upbeat.
- Abhor, loathe, despise, detest.
- Honest, fair, sincere, trustworthy.
- However, nonetheless, nevertheless, yet.
- Working hard – determined, industrious, entrepreneurial.
What type of word is effective?
The ability to produce an effect. Producing a decisive effect.