Admiration refers to the idea of being proud of something…
Admiration refers to the idea of being proud of something or someone. When you admire someone, you perceive character and actions positively. The closest synonym for admire is “adore.”
You can substitute many other words for “admire” that can accurately represent your message. But before we show you some examples, we first need to understand the meaning of the word we are learning.
Definition of Admire
According to the English dictionary, “admire” is a verb that means “to direct admiration to a person or ideal.” It represents a sense of pride and approval you have for a person.
The primary idea is the acknowledgment and approval related to the traits, qualities, and deeds of things and people.
- I admire Sabrina for her beauty and kindheartedness.
- I admire your ability to maintain composure in stressful situations.
- The audience admired the pianist’s passion and skill.
- The courage of Justin’s opponent is admirable.
Synonyms for Admire – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
There are many synonyms for the word “admire.” These words imply recognition and approval of a person’s traits and deeds. However, there are subtle contextual differences in the meanings of each synonym. We explain these differences below.
This noun refers to a feeling or relationship of mutual esteem and admiration between two people who perceive each other as equals. It also describes the acknowledgment of a person or thing’s value.
When used as a verb, it refers to acknowledging a person’s abilities, traits, and values.
- I greatly respect people who can endure hardships and maintain a positive outlook.
Its noun and verb forms relate to the acknowledgment of traits, deeds, and values. The difference is that esteem pertains to a greater level of respect. It usually relates to exceptional people.
- We welcomed the heroes as esteemed guests at the convention.
- I hold John in high esteem. He has achieved more than most people.
The verb “adore” refers to approval and love expressed toward a specific thing or person. It is different from the previous examples in that it connotes exclusivity.
It also means “to worship.”
- I adore her with all my heart. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for her.
- I adore the way she smiles when she sees me.
Antonyms for Admire – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Synonyms for admiring represent an appreciation for a person or thing. Therefore, words that express dislike and aversion to a person can serve as antonyms.
Loathe is a strong feeling of repulsion, hatred, or dread. To loathe someone is to be intolerant of their presence.
- Gina loathed him on sight. Some people don’t get along.
- Why do we inherently loathe pests?
To abhor someone means to deny them your sympathy, concern, and approval. This adjective usually describes something that goes against your morals and principles.
- Culture is subjective. What may be abhorrent to one may be commonplace to another.
- I abhor people who are cruel to strangers.
Remember that not all similar terms are applicable for every context and idea. Sometimes, you need to look for better ways to represent your idea. That’s what our guides are for – to help you expand your vocabulary and improve your fluency.
Frequently asked questions
What is the meaning of I admire you?
1. verb. If you admire someone or something, you love and respect them.
What is the example of admire?
You’re inspiring, and I admire your passion. Your courage is inspiring to me. Your accomplishments are admired by them. The colors of a fruit pyramid and textile textures drew her attention.
What is opposite of admirer?
Antonyms. Nonpartisan nonreligious person, nonworker, cowardly irresolute conservative. The worshipper suitor, the fancier adorer.
What is the synonym of impressed?
With a striking, swayed, told (on), touched.
What is the synonym of admirer?
I love you, love, beloved, lady love, boyfriend, girlfriend, young man, young lady, man friend, lady friend, escort, sweetheart, lover, lover. catch, conquest.
What is a female admirer?
a human being. A young woman who is respected. She had many admirers.
Who is a person you admire?
You admire your hero or heroine and want to be like him or her. The word idol is another word for this.
How do you admire someone in words?
- 1 “Your perspective on life makes me want to live more thoughtfully.”.
- 2 It’s great to see you deliver great jokes-I love how you hit the perfect tone and expression every time.”.
- 3 “I admire your determination when you strongly believe something.”.
- 4 The tougher conversations feel heard and seen.
What is the best definition of admire?
An admirative transitive verb. 1 : to feel respect and approval for (someone or something) : regard with admiration All admired her courage. Archaic : to marvel at.
What is the synonym and antonym of accept?
You’re consenting (to), accepting (to).
Is admire the same as love?
Our admiration for another person is great. Love and admiration share the same essence: While love focuses on affection, admiration is about respect and approval.
Who do you most admire?
|MEN||Admiration score||Admiration score|
|Prince William, Duke of Cambridge||9.52%||8.01%|
What are some antonyms of admire?
Why do you admire your father?
“He is my dad, he taught us everything we, myself, needed to know and taught me how I am today.”. “I admire his ambition, drive, and work ethic. He will do whatever he can to help and assist you.”.
What type of word is admired?
Verb (used with an object), admmired, aamireing. Looking at anything with wonder, pleasure, or approval. (Normally used ironically or sarcastically): I admire your audaciousness.