The word beautiful signifies the quality of being appealing to…
The word beautiful signifies the quality of being appealing to the eyes. The most popular synonym for beautiful is the word ‘attractive.’ Other words that can be substituted for beautiful will be explored in this article.
Beautiful – Etymology and Definition of the Word
The word ‘beautiful’ is an adjective. It was borrowed from Middle English’ bewty, bewte, beaute and bealte.’ Also,from the Anglo-Norman and Old French word ‘beauté’ (early Old French spelling biauté).
Beautiful is defined as being:
- Attractive and possessing beauty. After meeting Michelle, I had to agree with the popular opinion that she is beautiful.
- Good and admirable. He is indeed a beautiful soul; he literally would give his last cash to help.
- (of the weather) Pleasant; clear. It’s a beautiful cloudy morning; let’s start our workout.
- Something well-executed. The coupe dance group gave a beautiful performance.
- It is lovely waking up to a beautiful morning.
- Martha is the most beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes on.
- Paris is a beautiful city to travel to.
- James served us a beautiful meal earlier this morning.
- Of all rivers, the Nile is the most beautiful.
- To be called beautiful is satisfying to the soul.
- To be inspired in life, you need to be surrounded by beautiful people.
Synonym for beautiful — Exploring words with Similar Meanings
Synonyms (words that have similar meanings) for the word ‘beautiful’ are attractive, alluring, appealing, charming, exquisite, dazzling, delightful, and elegant. Other terms related to beautiful are: comely, seemly, and fair.
Attractive is an English word borrowed from Middle French, ‘attractif,’ and Late Latin attractivus. Attractive is the quality of being pleasing or appealing to the senses to arouse interest.
- Deborah still looks attractive despite the scar on her face.
- The most attractive thing about John is his beards; it gets me each time.
- Jude and Cindy would have made an attractive couple if they had tried harder.
The word is derived from ‘allure’ which originates from Anglo-French’ alurer’, and Old French aleurer “to attract and captivate.” Alluring connotes the sense of being attractive.
- Jacintha appeared alluring in the most vulnerable moments.
- His smell made him alluring despite his dull gaze.
- There is something strangely alluring about the way Mike talks.
The word appealing – “to be attractive or pleasing” – can be traced to Old Roman metaphoric expression “driving a ship to the desired landing.”
- It would be best if you ironed the shirt to look appealing to the guests.
- The idea of losing the game was rather appealing to the home fans.
- While his actions are appealing to everyone, he could face serious legal consequences.
The word ‘charming’ originates from Middle English charmynge; equivalent to charm + -ing. Charming is the quality of being very pleasant or attractive.
- Daniel always looks charming.
- There is something oddly charming about Texas, that I can’t explain.
Exquisite finds its origin in Latin’ exquīsītus’, the perfect passive participle of exquīrō (“seek out”). Exquisite signifies the quality of being extremely pleasant, especially in a delicate way.
- Maria’s charm lies in her exquisite accent and exposure.
- To get an exquisite meal, you need to travel to France.
Antonyms for Beautiful — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The word ‘ugly’ is from Middle English ugly, uggely, uglike, borrowed from Old Norse uggligr (“fearful, dreadful, horrible in appearance”), equivalent to ug + -ly. Ugly connotes the quality of being displeasing to the eyes, unpleasant or unattractive.
- Henry is the ugly duckling of the boys in the class.
- Why would you exchange my clothes for these ugly ones?
Disgusting is from the word ‘disgust,’ which originates from early modern French’ desgoust’ or Italian ‘disgusto,’ from Latin dis- (expressing reversal) + gustus ‘taste.’ Disgust qualifies a state of being highly unpleasant and completely unacceptable.
- Jerry smelled disgusting after coming off the sewer.
- Public conveniences are disgusting despite the huge budget.
- My greatest fear is being bitten by disgusting street dogs.
The word ‘horrible’ was first attested in Middle English (alternately as horrible and orrible). Also, from Old French horrible, orrible, orible andfrom Latin horribilis – horr(ēre) (“tremble”) + -ibilis (“-ible”). Horrible describes the state of being unpleasant, something that causes horror and is terrifying to the senses.
- Patrick sounds horrible each time he sings on stage.
- The fight between the school administrators was so horrible; that it threatened the school’s closure.
To Wrap Up
Beautiful is an English word that describes something appealing and attractive. A common synonym for beautiful is ‘attractive.’ Other words with similar meanings are: alluring, appealing, charming, and exquisite.
The antonyms for the word ‘beautiful’ include “ugly,” “disgusting,” and “horrible.” Now that you know the synonyms and antonyms for the word, you can use one that suits your context!
Frequently asked questions
What is a good sentence for beautiful?
She was such a beautiful young woman. Texas had many beautiful valleys. She was drawn to the image of a frail looking girl with dark eyes that looked out hauntingly from a delicately beautiful face. Bagdad was his hometown and the building of a famous and beautiful city built by him.
What are 5 antonyms for beautiful?
What type of word is beautiful?
‘Beautiful’ is a verbal description of a beautiful word. Someone who has ever met her thought she was absolutely beautiful. The skater performed a beautiful skatel.
What is your definition of beauty?
Definition of beauty 1 : the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit : loveliness a woman of great physical beauty exploring.
What are synonyms for beautiful day?
- great day n
- fine day n
- wonderful day n
- lovely day n
- good day n
- gorgeous day n
- nice day n
- glorious day n
What is the meaning of synonym of beautiful?
Alluring, appealing, charming, cute, dazzling, delicate, exquisite, lovely, delightful, fine, good-looking, graceful, grand, handsome, lovelya, magnificent, wonderful, marvelous, delightful.
What are antonyms for beauty?
What is the meaning of antonyms?
Dictionary definition of ANTONYM. The word count has a meaning that is opposite to the meaning of another word. The words “hot” and “cold” are synonyms for heat.
What are the 5 synonyms of beautiful?
What is the opposite beautiful?
Physical attractiveness is opposite. ugly. hideous. grotesque. repulsive.
What is beautiful synonyms or antonyms?
Beautiful is often referred to as charming, fair, handsome, lovely, and pretty. While all these words mean “exciting sensuous pleasure,” beautiful can refer to anything which grabs the eye and stirs emotion through it.
How many synonyms are there for beautiful?
admirable, adorable, alluring, angelic, appealing, beauteous, bedazzling, charming, classy, comely, cute, delightful, delightfully, elegant, enticing, excellent, exquisite, fair,.
What kind of word is beautiful?
This is a beautiful definition and a synonym with Macmillan Dictionary.
What word means the most beautiful?
An adjective that means physically beautiful or attractive is pulchritudinous.