The term ‘describe’ means “to give a comprehensive account of something.” A synonym for describe is the term ‘explain.’
This article will explore other words that have similar or same meaning as the term ‘describe.’
The Definition of Describe
‘Describe’ is a verb, borrowed from Old French descrivre, Latin dēscrībō, from dē (“off”) + scrībō (“write”). The verb takes the following forms: simple present – describes, present participle – describing, simple past and past participle – described.
The dictionary defines ‘describe’ as “to denote, or tell in spoken or written words.” My experience is hard to describe. Describe also means “to trace or mark out.”
- It is difficult to describe the exquisiteness of Mr. David’s residence with mere words.
- ‘Statistics’ is the term commonly used to describe data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- I would describe myself as hardworking and go-getting.
- I would describe the experience as a strange and challenging one.
- The English teachers asked us to describe our family structure.
- Could you please describe the location, so I don’t get lost?
- In class, we were asked to describe our personality traits.
- I wanted to describe the Italian resort, but I don’t know where to begin.
Synonym for Describe — Exploring words with Similar Meanings
Synonyms for ‘describe’ include portray, explain, illustrate, express, recount, and elucidate. Other terms related to ‘describe’ include: make vivid, report, draw, through light upon, paint, distinguish and represent.
The term originates from Old French definer, Latin dēfīniō (“limit, settle”), and dē + fīniō (“set a limit, bound, end”). It means to identify or determine the essential quality and nature of an entity.
- We need to define our aims and objectives.
- You need to define your goals before you start working on them.
‘Portray’ originates from Middle French portraire. Portray means to represent an entity in a specific way.
- During his trial, the accused tried to portray himself as a victim of an uncaring society.
- Her artworks portray a unique sense of love.
The term is from Latin dēpictus, dēpingō. It means “to show what a person or thing is like.”
- Janet’s paintings depict the conflict in our world today.
- The advertisements depict the authenticity of the products.
The word is equivalent to out + line. It means “to show the essential features of something.”
- A brief outline of the program of events was drawn.
- The mayor gave only a vague outline of the project he would be executing.
The term originates from Latin dēlīneātus, the past participle of dēlīneo (“to sketch out”) and de- + līnea (“line”). It is the act of representing in words, especially in details.
- Most employees could not delineate their roles in the organization.
- I asked the workers to delineate their challenges.
Antonyms for Describe — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The word ‘conceal’ is from Old French conceler (“hide, disguise”) and Latin concelāre, infinitive of concelō (“carefully disguise”). Conceal connotes the act of preventing something from being known.
- The rich conceal their wealth.
- The child doesn’t conceal anything from her mother.
- Thompson could not conceal his desire for money.
Misrepresent is from mis- + represent. Misrepresent means “to portray something inappropriately.”
- Those figures grossly misrepresent reality.
- Jeremiah told me he would misrepresent the information in the tables.
The word ‘mystify’ was first attested in French mystifier. ‘Mystify’ means to confuse or make something impossible to understand.
- Henry decided to mystify the audience with his story.
- Does all this drama mystify you as much as it does me?
To Wrap Up
The English term ‘describe’ means “to give a detailed account of something.” A common synonym for describe is the term ‘explain.’ Other words with similar meanings include: portray, and elucidate.
Words opposite in meaning to ‘describe’ include “conceal,” “misrepresent,” and “mystify.” You can learn more synonyms for the term from a thesaurus.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…