Life is full of struggles. Great things don’t come easy, and easy things aren’t always great. “Difficulty” is a word that describes the conditions that force you to put more effort toward a goal. A common synonym for difficulty is “trouble.”
Let’s delve deeper into the meaning of the word to understand what words can qualify as synonyms and antonyms.
Definition of Difficulty
According to the English dictionary, “difficulty” is the state or quality of being difficult. It also refers to the manner in which an action is performed. It usually relates to a serious struggle.
- Even when things are hard, we are fully equipped to overcome any difficulty.
- He had difficulty breathing because of his heart condition.
- Allen is a skilled player. He has little difficulty winning against his opponents.
- Inclement weather is a difficulty seasoned hikers are able to overcome.
Synonyms of Difficulty – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
The main idea behind a difficulty is that it is something that makes a task more difficult to achieve. It represents any condition that may hinder you from meeting a goal. Here are some related terms to “difficulty” from the thesaurus.
This noun refers to a difficult situation, usually one caused by external factors. It focuses on the inherent difficulty posed by something.
- The quest to bring the ring to Mount Doom was wrought with hardships.
- The people of the North were tempered and toughened by hardship.
Adversity is different from difficulty in that adversity refers to something that is actively preventing you from achieving a goal. Difficulty refers to something that is inherently challenging.
- The Board of Members’ refusal to cooperate presented adversity that slowed the investigation.
- He showed up at the meeting despite the adversity he would face from other partners.
A complication refers to factors that make a problem more elaborate (thus requiring more effort to solve.)
- His heart complications made the surgery more dangerous.
- The fact that my client lied on the stand presented major complications to his defense.
A dilemma is a problem that forces you to make a tough decision between two choices. It focuses on the difficulty of choosing one thing over another.
- His dilemma forced him to choose between his family and his career.
- My dilemma is that I don’t know what university to choose.
Antonyms – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The spirit behind the word “difficulty” is the greater effort required to accomplish something. Anything that makes a task easier can serve as an antonym for “difficulty.” Here are some examples:
An advantage refers to the ability, trait, or scenario that helps you attain a task.
- Rick had a speed advantage. He was more nimble and agile than Tom.
- The enemy is weak. Let’s press our advantage!
This noun refers to a specific course of action to overcome a problem. It usually leads to the conclusion of a task.
- He found the solution to the math problem.
- Snow tires are the solution to snowy roads.
Assistance refers to the act of helping someone resolve a problem.
- We provide roadside assistance to drivers whose cars have broken down on the highway.
- May I ask for your assistance with the machine, please?
Even when the English language is rich and diverse, many people have difficulty finding words that represent their exact ideas. The trick is to practice using the words you encounter. If you have spare time, you might also want to check out our guides on other words.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…