Synonyms add depth and richness to your writing and allow…
Synonyms add depth and richness to your writing and allow you to avoid repetition. They also add variety to your piece. The word ‘expand’ means to change from a smaller form or size to a bigger one. A synonym for expand is ‘broaden.’
Other words with similar meanings to ‘expand’ will be explored in this comprehensive yet concise guide.
The Definition of Expand
Expand originates from Anglo-Norman espaundre and Latin expandere – present active infinitive of expandō, itself from ex- (“out, outwards”) + pandō. ‘Expand’ is an action word with the following forms: simple present – expands, present participle – expanding, simple past, and past participle – expanded. To expand means:
- To experience a change in size from a smaller to a larger one. Please expand the carpet to cover the room.
- To express (something) at length and in detail, i.e., Thompson expanded on his plans for his education.
- Over the last few decades, Jerry has been expanding his empire.
- The General hopes to expand the army and add more soldiers.
- Could you please expand the balloon?
- The company will need to expand in the next two months.
- We began to expand our company, but the local authorities thwarted our efforts.
- To date, we have expanded our services to twelve countries.
- My grocery store has begun to expand into neighboring states.
- I must expand my knowledge on the topic of chemistry.
- We want to expand our restaurant’s hours, but that will be pretty expensive.
- The company is planning to expand its reach into Europe.
Synonym for Expand — Exploring words with Similar Meanings
The dictionary defines expand as “to increase in extent, to grow.” Synonyms include broaden, increase, extend, unfold, develop, distend, and amplify. Other terms related to expand include, augment, boost, rise, blow up, blow, swell, inflate, stretch, dilate, and puff. Let’s explore some of these synonyms.
1. Spread Out
Spread is from Proto-Germanic spreit. To spread out is to move away, put in a wide area, or become further apart.
- We need to clear the new land to spread out operations.
- The police spread out across the field.
Enlarge is a synonym for expand. The word is derived from Old French enlargier, enlargir. Enlarge means making something bigger and increasing the capacity or scope of something.
- The Director has decided to enlarge the company.
- Our company needs to enlarge its social media presence.
The term is from Late Latin ēlabōrātus (“worked out”), past participle of ēlabōrō (“to work out”), from ē- (“out, forth, fully”) + labor (“work, toil, exertion”). The term implies “to expand in detail or state explicitly.”
- Could you please elaborate on the last point you made?
- My supervisor asked that I elaborate on the topic of my research.
Broaden is from broad + -en (verbal suffix). The word originates from Old English brad “wide, not narrow,” also “flat, open, extended.” Its origin can also be traced to Proto-Germanic *braidi. ‘en’ is a word-forming element making verbs from adjectives or nouns. To broaden means to become more expansive.
- The government decided to broaden the road to accommodate more cars.
- As the marketing team of this company, we need to broaden our research and development efforts.
Increase originates from Anglo-Norman encreistre and Latin increscere (“increase”). ‘Increase’ means “to grow or become greater or larger.”
- There’s been a massive increase in crime in society over the last decade.
- The company recorded a 20% increase in sales after the advertisement.
Antonyms for Expand — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
1. Scale down
Scale down is a phrasal verb of scale. The phrase means “to reduce the size or number of something.”
- The police team scaled down their search to five neighboring communities.
- We need to scale down the project due to a shortage of funds.
The word ‘shink’ originates from Old English sċrincan, and Proto-Germanic *skrinkwaną. To shink means “to make smaller.”
- My son had to shrink his leg brace to fit in the stocking.
- Johnny had to shink his body to fit into his new wears.
‘Condense’ was borrowed from Middle French condenser, and Latin condensare. ‘Condense’ means making something compact, dense, or close, decreasing in form or volume.
- Please condense this down into a few letters.
- I condensed the history of Grace’s life into a two-page memo.
To Wrap Up
Expand is an English word that means “to become larger or more extensive.” A synonym for expand is ‘spread out.’ Other words with similar meanings are: enlarge, broaden, increase, unfold, and swell. A thesaurus is ideal for learning more synonyms of the term.
The opposites for the word ‘expand’ include “scale down,” “shrink,” and “condense.” Now that you know the synonyms and antonyms for the word, you can use one that suits your context!
Frequently asked questions
How do you write a guide?
Keep in mind when writing your Guide to make your content as understandable as possible. Keep your content to the top so that the most important information is at the top. Divide content by sections that are easy to read. Headings help users navigate the content and structure it.
What is called expand?
1 : Open up. 2 : to increase the magnitude, number, volume, or scope of : enlarge. Describe in more detail or length in paragraph 3a.
What is the synonym and antonym of guide?
verb. (*ga*d) Take someone somewhere. Antonyms. Turn your back foot to reduce impropriety. Mislead lead, misguide lead.
What is the adjective for Expand?
Which is the best antonym for the word guide?
- leave alone
What is a guide book?
Guidebook Definition : a book that contains informative information about a particular subject : handbook I was hired to write a cultural study, “how-to” guidebook..——.
What are antonyms of Expand?
How do you say guide me?
- help me
- guiding me
- assist me
- be my eyes
- brief me
- brings me
- control me
- direct me
How do you use expand in a sentence?
- The success of his business inspired him to expand.
- Airport expansion is not planned.
- I think we need to expand.
- There has never been a plan to expand the company.
- It is expected that they will expand their company.
- His statement did not contain a lot of detail.
Can could synonym?
This page contains 16 synonyms, antonyms, synonyms and idiomatic expressions for could, which are: would, might, do, should, may, can, shall, want-to, cannot, will, and.
How do you use synonyms?
You might, for example, use synonyms such as “gorgeous,” “stunning,” or “ravishing” to better represent the description of your description. Keep repeating one word will ensure that you’ll lose the attention of your audience for boredom!
What is expansion synonym?
Nouns increase in size or effect. addition. augmentation. boost.
What is the synonym of guide?
In general, guides are described as engineer, lead, pilot, and steer. An instructor isn’t merely a guide, but it means that you have an intimate knowledge of the way and its difficulties and dangers. Guided the scouts to the cave.
What is the synonyms and antonyms of Expand?
Expand is sometimes described as amplify, dilate, distend, inflate, and swell. Expand may apply regardless of the manner of increase (growth, unfolding, adding parts) regardless of how many words you use.