Sometimes we are exposed to uncomfortable situations and difficult people. Sometimes, the best thing to do is go away or to let people leave. You don’t have to use the same word. There are many words that can serve as a synonym for leave.
Before we present examples, we first need to understand the idea behind the word “leave.”
Definition of Leave
According to the English dictionary, “leave” refers to the act of removing oneself from a place. In a work setting, it refers to an allowed absence of someone (e.g., maternity leave, sabbatical leave, etc.)
It can also mean “to walk away” from something, somewhere, or someone.
In the context of relationships, to leave someone means to dissociate yourself from them (i.e., to stop the relationship).
- Did your company allow you to go on a maternity leave?
- Come away with me; we need to leave!
- I plan to leave my wife. I’m looking for a lawyer.
- Sir, you’re causing a scene. I need to ask you to leave.
Synonyms for Leave – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
The idea of leaving is to move to a different space. Depending on the nature or intent of the person leaving, some alternative terms may be better than others. Here are some examples we found in a thesaurus:
This verb refers to the act of leaving someone or something permanently (i.e., without regard for the future or wellbeing of that person). It is taken in a negative context.
- A good friend will never abandon you, no matter the problem.
- The captain told his crew to abandon the damaged ship.
When used as a noun, an exit is a designated passage that allows people to leave a place. As a verb, it refers to the act of leaving a place.
- The building code clearly states that fire exits should be clear of any obstruction at all times.
- Please exit the stadium in a calm and orderly manner.
This verb refers to the act of leaving without permission. It denotes that the act of leaving weakens the person or group left behind.
- The soldiers deserted their captain.
- The village was deserted.
This verb describes the act of ceasing action and removing oneself from an event or task. (i.e., when you leave a job.)
- The developer quit because of the hostile work environment.
- The athlete was determined to win. Not even his injury could make him quit.
In the context of leaving, this verb means “to run away.” It mainly refers to the physical act.
- Run! The thugs are attacking!
Antonyms for Leave – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The main idea of leaving is to move away from a location, thing, or person. Therefore, words that describe staying can serve as antonyms for “leave.”
This verb means “to be present” as long as something continues or persists. It also refers to the state of being the same or existing.
- Please remain in your seats as we land the plane.
- Only true friends remain even when you’re at your lowest.
This verb refers to the act of staying in your current location and position. It can be used in a spatial context. It is also used to imply that someone refuses to move aside.
- I can stay as long as it takes.
- I’d like to stay for two nights, please.
This verb refers to the act of reaching a destination. It can also refer to the act of entering a space.
- I intend to rest as soon as I arrive at the hotel.
- What time will you arrive at our meeting?
There are many other words that you can use to represent the idea of leaving. You can become more fluent in English by exposing yourself to words that you don’t encounter often. This will help you expand your vocabulary and improve your writing style.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…