Sometimes we are exposed to uncomfortable situations and difficult people.…
Sometimes we are exposed to uncomfortable situations and difficult people. Sometimes, the best thing to do is go away or to let people leave. You don’t have to use the same word. There are many words that can serve as a synonym for leave.
Before we present examples, we first need to understand the idea behind the word “leave.”
Definition of Leave
According to the English dictionary, “leave” refers to the act of removing oneself from a place. In a work setting, it refers to an allowed absence of someone (e.g., maternity leave, sabbatical leave, etc.)
It can also mean “to walk away” from something, somewhere, or someone.
In the context of relationships, to leave someone means to dissociate yourself from them (i.e., to stop the relationship).
- Did your company allow you to go on a maternity leave?
- Come away with me; we need to leave!
- I plan to leave my wife. I’m looking for a lawyer.
- Sir, you’re causing a scene. I need to ask you to leave.
Synonyms for Leave – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
The idea of leaving is to move to a different space. Depending on the nature or intent of the person leaving, some alternative terms may be better than others. Here are some examples we found in a thesaurus:
This verb refers to the act of leaving someone or something permanently (i.e., without regard for the future or wellbeing of that person). It is taken in a negative context.
- A good friend will never abandon you, no matter the problem.
- The captain told his crew to abandon the damaged ship.
When used as a noun, an exit is a designated passage that allows people to leave a place. As a verb, it refers to the act of leaving a place.
- The building code clearly states that fire exits should be clear of any obstruction at all times.
- Please exit the stadium in a calm and orderly manner.
This verb refers to the act of leaving without permission. It denotes that the act of leaving weakens the person or group left behind.
- The soldiers deserted their captain.
- The village was deserted.
This verb describes the act of ceasing action and removing oneself from an event or task. (i.e., when you leave a job.)
- The developer quit because of the hostile work environment.
- The athlete was determined to win. Not even his injury could make him quit.
In the context of leaving, this verb means “to run away.” It mainly refers to the physical act.
- Run! The thugs are attacking!
Antonyms for Leave – Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The main idea of leaving is to move away from a location, thing, or person. Therefore, words that describe staying can serve as antonyms for “leave.”
This verb means “to be present” as long as something continues or persists. It also refers to the state of being the same or existing.
- Please remain in your seats as we land the plane.
- Only true friends remain even when you’re at your lowest.
This verb refers to the act of staying in your current location and position. It can be used in a spatial context. It is also used to imply that someone refuses to move aside.
- I can stay as long as it takes.
- I’d like to stay for two nights, please.
This verb refers to the act of reaching a destination. It can also refer to the act of entering a space.
- I intend to rest as soon as I arrive at the hotel.
- What time will you arrive at our meeting?
There are many other words that you can use to represent the idea of leaving. You can become more fluent in English by exposing yourself to words that you don’t encounter often. This will help you expand your vocabulary and improve your writing style.
Frequently asked questions
What is the antonym of Teach?
How do you use the word leave?
- Is there a date for tomorrow’s departure?
- If either of us has to leave, I’ll go instead.
- Just before leaving, I was getting ready to leave.
- As she stood, she turned to leave the room.
- How can she leave it now?
- Take it to me until we hear from you.
- Four weeks of his leave was granted.
What are synonyms for leave?
FOR LEAVE 1, 2 REMAINS, FORSAKE, DESCRETE, RETINUE. 9 forbear, renounce. 10 ignore, forget. The leave, will, devise, transmit 11.
What is an antonym for the word leaf?
Antonyms. Stay stay respectful, pull your walk shrink. Dentate leaf veination rosette blade.
Was miss out meaning?
Miss out on an opportunity, fail to accomplish, as in Ruth came late to the party and missed out on the fun, or Trudy missed out upon the promotion.
What is example of leave?
Noun He took a leave from work without pay. During the holidays, soldiers received two-month leave. As a result, he took a few months’ leave to take care of his sick mother.
What is the noun for leave?
Leave (noun) (adjective) leaves. leave–taking (noun).
What is a opposite word?
Words with opposite meanings. Anonymous words that express a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word.
What is the synonym of leave out?
Do not overlook, ignore, overlook, pass over. In the sense of exclude.
What are types of leaves?
It is possible to grow two types of leaves – simple leaves and compound leaves –. There are many other types of leaves, including acicular, linear, lanceolate, orbicular, elliptical, oblique, centric cordate, etc.
Is it leave or leave?
So you are leaving that city or country or person, or you are going away from them. Leave is a verb that refers to someone moving away from a person or place to another person or location. Leave and leave are left verb forms and past partsiciples. Leave and leaving are other verb forms.
Do not leave synonyms?
- absent without leave
Where does this leave us meaning?
When you ask, ‘Where does that leave us?’, you are asking what options are available as a result of the discussions or information you have received. Use this question to ask for ideas or guidance regarding the next steps to take. It is similar to ‘where will we go from here?”.
What is the mean by leave?
The verb (GO AWAY) lets you go away from someone or something, for a short period of time or permanently: I will leave at five o’clock tomorrow.
What are two other names for leaves?