Some words are used interchangeably in the English language, but contextual meanings vary widely. The word “task” can refer to many things, but its most basic definition is “a work done as part of one’s duties.” What is a synonym for task?
Some synonyms for ‘task’ may accurately replace the word in a sentence. Others, however, may only be suitable in other contexts. This article examines the definition, synonyms, and antonyms of the word ‘task.’
Definition of the word ‘Task.’
The word ‘task’ originates from Middle English taske (“task, tax”), and Old Northern French tasque. Also, from Medieval Latin tasca, alteration of taxa and Latin taxāre (“censure; charge”). The English word functions as a noun and verb in different contexts.
As a noun, a task is a work done as part of one’s duties, a difficult or tedious undertaking, or an objective.
- The course lecturer gave the class representative the task of compiling the names of active students.
- James refused to take up the assignment, arguing that it was not one of the tasks listed in his job description.
- Work-related tasks come with benefits and self-development.
As a verb, ‘to task’ is ‘to assign a piece of work to someone.’ The verb takes the following forms; simple present – tasks, present participle – tasking, and simple past and past participle – tasked.
- On arriving at the company, I was tasked with sending emails to prospective clients.
- The job I recently secured is tasking.
- I find working in the financial industry tasking.
Synonym for Task — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
A popular synonym for task is job. Other words similar to ‘task’ include duty, chore, responsibility, charge, labor, piece of work, assignment, function, and occupation.
The word originates from the phrase jobbe of work (“piece of work”), of uncertain origin. A job is a role or assignment given to someone. It is also an economic role for which a person is paid.
- I have a job for you – can you write sales copies?
- The job of a lawyer is an interesting one.
‘Duty’ came from Middle English duete, from dewe + -te. A duty is something one is morally or legally obligated to do, the state of being at work and responsible for a particular task.
- I’m on duty for the next two weeks.
- Your duty as a secretary includes reminding me of meetings.
‘Chore’ originates from Middle English charr, (“odd job”), Old English ċerr, (“a turn”), and from ċierran (“to turn”). A chore is a role, especially an unpleasant or routine one.
- Please ensure the kids do their chores before they go to play.
- I have so many chores to do!
The word ‘assignment’ is from Middle English assignement and Old French assignement. An assignment is an assigned task, allocating a job or a set of functions.
- The manager said he has a new assignment for you.
- I’ve been busy with an assignment all week.
The word ‘responsibility’ is from responsible + -ity. Responsibility is the state of being accountable for something.
- Every man has a responsibility to protect the environment.
- I take responsibility for my actions.
Antonyms for Task — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
The word is from in- “opposite of” + activity. Inactivity is the quality of being inactive.
- The pandemic resulted in inactivity.
- With inactivity, desires are just idle fantasies.
Uselessness is from useless + -ness. It is the quality of being vain, without use or essence.
- Unemployment creates a sense of uselessness coupled with financial problems.
- Uselessness amounts to nothing good.
Irresponsibility is from ir- + responsibility or irresponsible + -ity. It is the character or state of being unreliable, freedom from responsibility, or want of accountability.
- Leaving the machine in the hands of an incapable person was an act of gross irresponsibility.
- The irresponsibility of some of our leaders has caused suffering, hunger, and starvation in the land.
To Wrap Up
Understanding the synonyms of English words and knowing the best context to use them gives your piece a better flow. Now that you’re familiar with synonym for task, you can avoid repetition and begin to use the synonyms in writing uniquely.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…