Today we’ll use the dictionary and thesaurus to look at…
Today we’ll use the dictionary and thesaurus to look at the word give. This is a word that we often use in everyday conversation. To use it effectively, you must first understand its meaning and applications.
We’ll also look at synonyms of give, antonyms, and sentence examples for the word give.
Now let us commence with the definition before going on to the alternative and opposite phrases. So, without giving too much away, let’s get started on delving deeper into this word.
Definition of Give
The word give means offering freely and without expecting anything in return; gift. It could also describe transferring ownership of something to someone else. Other definitions include:
- Entrusting to someone’s care.
- Contribute by giving a gift or donations.
- Compromise; yield a little, as if to persuasion or coercion.
On their own, definitions might be puzzling. And as a consequence, we’ve chosen to include some sample sentences in this section.
- My grandfather gave me this watch when I was a kid.
- Give your gift to your sister; she is waiting!
- At the entrance to the highway, give way to the vehicles in the right lane.
Synonyms of Give — Exploring Words With Similar Meanings
The origins of the phrase come from Latin, praesentare.
- I present to you the one and only Andy Kaufman!
- The Marx Brothers present: A Night in Casablanca!
It comes from Vulgar Latin passare.
- Pass me the salt, please.
- This exchange fund passes 95% of the profits to its customers.
The first recorded application of this phrase dates back to the 1600s.
- Hand over the cash and jewelry into this bag right now!
- The bank took everything from me; I’ve got nothing to hand over.
Originally from Latin credentare, in time, the phrase transformed into graanter.
- After paying them their toll, they will grant you safe passage through this treacherous land.
- The farmers received a huge grant from the government.
Antonyms of Give
- After a series of unusual transactions, the bank decided to put a hold on your account.
- I am keeping this money; you’re not getting it!
After reading this essay, we hope we have provided you with a better understanding of the phrase give. We looked for synonyms, antonyms, and, of course, the definition of the word. Please let us know if you have any additional words you’d want us to write!
Frequently asked questions
What’s more example sentence?
It was always something surprising or interesting to add to what you just said: The decorations were absolutely beautiful, and, more importantly, the children had made them themselves.
What do you mean by more?
The more I thought about the idea, the more I liked it. Adding something additional: an additional amount.
What is synonyms give 50 examples?
|Help||I couldn’t help but do it.||Assist|
|Say||I won’t say anything to anyone.||Tell|
|Rich||We all dream of becoming rich.||Wealthy|
|Naughty||He is a naughty boy.||Mischievous|
What are the 200 examples of synonyms?
- Allow – Permit
- Amount – Quantity
- Abroad – Overseas
- Angry – Mad
- Agree – Consent
- Alike – Same
- Accord – Agreement
- Admit – Confess
What type of word is more?
More can be a decimal, an adverb, or a noun.
What are the 20 synonyms?
What are 10 examples of synonyms?
|amazing: astounding, surprising, stunning||fertile, fruitful, abundant, productive|
|benefit: profit, revenue, yield||hungry: empty, ravenous, starved|
|brave: courageous, valiant, heroic||injured: damaged, wounded, harmed|
|cohesive: united, connected, close-knit||intelligent: brilliant, clever, smart|
What are 30 synonyms?
- afraid – scared
- gift – present
- angry – mad
- child – kid
- happy – glad
- garbage – trash
- difficult – hard
- cold – chilly
What is the synonym of for example?
For example, if you want an example, an example or an example to illustrate, to cite an instance, by way of illustration, as an example of a case in point, as a model, as and e.
What are examples of for example?
- It’s possible to take a few simple precautions, for example, to ensure that desks are at the right height.
- Consider the simple sentence: “The man got up the hill.”.
What are the 50 examples of antonyms examples?
- hi and bye
- good and bad
- monarchy and democracy
- truth and lie
- antonym and synonym
- love and hate
- enemy and friend
- happy and sad
What are the 100 examples of antonyms examples?
- Amateur – Professional
- Alive – Dead
- Advanced – Elementary
- Artificial – Natural
- Argue – Agree
- Adult – Child
- All – None
- Arrive – Depart
What are the 1000 most common words in English?
- sometimes security
What are some synonyms of more?