We’ll take a gander at the phrase learn today in the dictionary and thesaurus section. This is an expression that is scarcely used in everyday conversation. To use it properly, you must fully understand its meaning and applications. We’ll also look at synonyms of learn, antonyms, and examples of sentences.
We’ll begin with its definition before moving on to synonyms and antonyms. So, without giving too much away, let us start a detailed examination of this word.
Definition of Learn
Learn is a verb that comes from the Old High German word lernen. Its noun form is learning. Learn has the following meanings:
- Study, instruction, or experience are used to obtain knowledge, insight, or expertise in something.
- Being able to do something.
- Realizing or hearing about something previously unknown.
- To acquire information, expertise, or a behavioral inclination.
Definitions, by themselves, can confuse learners. That’s why we decided to follow this up with some example sentences below.
- He is learning to play the guitar.
- We just learned that he was terminally ill.
- As a student, you should read a lot to learn new words every day.
- I hope you learned your lesson after this.
Synonyms of Learn — Exploring Words With Similar Meanings
Originates from Latin, magister. It meant large in Latin, and while this meaning is still applicable (for example — master bedroom), it isn’t suitable as a synonym of the word learn.
- Through sheer hard work and commitment, he mastered the English language.
- She mastered playing the violin when she was only 16.
- If you haven’t mastered this before graduating, your diploma is worthless.
This phrase can mean many things, such as the act of lifting something off the ground, i.e., picking up. However, its application as a synonym for learn is relatively new.
- He picked up many things by living on the streets, like pickpocketing.
- There are so many tourists here; I picked up English just by listening to them.
- My father picked up driving stick from my grandfather.
Comes from the old French expression descoverir.
- I just discovered a massive conspiracy within the company.
- He discovered that ruling a group of people wasn’t that easy.
- He thought he had landed in India, but he discovered an entirely new continent.
Antonyms of Learn
Learn doesn’t have any antonyms.
We hope that after reading this piece, you have a clearer understanding of the term learn. We searched up similar terms, antonyms, and, of course, the definition of the word. Please let us know if you have any additional words you’d want us to write!
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…