Today, we’ll check up on the word proud in our…
Today, we’ll check up on the word proud in our dictionary and thesaurus. This is a widespread expression in ordinary discussion. To properly utilize it, you must first grasp what it implies. We’ll look at synonyms of proud, opposite, and sample sentences.
Before going on to similar and opposing terms, let’s summarize the meaning. So, without further ado, let’s get started with the meaning of this phrase.
Definition of Proud
Proud is a noun. Its verb form is the phrase “take pride.” Here are some of its meanings in common parlance:
- Experiencing happiness or satisfaction for doing something extremely noble or creditable for oneself.
- Having a high view of one’s own decency, significance, or superiority; or resulting from this.
- Exhibiting or having regard for oneself.
- Very pleasing to the emotions or self-esteem.
- Being very creditable or respectable.
- A stately, majestic, or splendid item or person.
- Anything that is spirited and vigorous.
On their own, ideas could be challenging to understand. In this piece, we’ve given a few examples as a response to this difficulty.
- Be proud, young man! You did nothing wrong!
- I am the proud owner of this new truck!
- Don’t offer her any help; she is too proud to accept it.
- We built this proud city in the face of many adversities.
- I am a proud alumnus of LSE!
Synonyms of Proud — Exploring Related Words
The definitions of this phrase and proud are similar, but this expression suggests a claim to more prominence or regard than is justified.
- What an arrogant man, your boss, is!
- She is so arrogant; she thinks everyone lives to serve her!
- I find Americans very egotistic when they travel abroad, and they assume everyone else speaks English!
- Their egotistic outlook will be their downfall.
Antonyms for Proud
Comes from Latin humilis, which has the same meaning.
- No matter how successful you get, it’s always beneficial to stay humble.
- He is a humble cobbler, working in his shop all day.
To Wrap Up
We hope you now have a better idea of the term proud after reading this article. We looked for synonyms, antonyms, and, naturally, the word’s meaning. If you have any more words you’d like us to write, please let us know!
Frequently asked questions
What is an example of proud?
Being proud means feeling pride and honor, being arrogant, or having self-pride. Having the honorable head of a happy family is an example of proudness. A proud person may not admit they are wrong after being proved otherwise. A father holding his baby for the first time is one example of pride.
What is the synonym of proud?
The common synonyms for proud are arrogant, disdainful, haughty, insolent, lordly, overbearing, and supercilious.
What is a proud man?
1 comes from an infinitive, or a clause pleased or satisfied, as with oneself, one’s possessions, achievements, etc, or with another person, his or her achievements, qualities, etc. Feel honoured or gratified by or as if by a particular distinction. A high opinion, or arrogance.
Is Modest opposite of proud?
What is the best antonym for proud?
Dissatisfied 1st option. 2 humble. 5 dishonorable. 6 mean; impoverished; lowly.
What is a opposite word?
The definition of the opposite word. There is a meaning that differs from the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are synonyms of each other.
What is this word proud?
One of the most important qualities of character is self-respect or dignity. 2 : Having a feeling of pleasure or satisfaction especially with one’s own achievements or other’s. Having a feeling of being better than others : haughty.
Is proud a Synonym of pride?
This page provides 102 synonyms, anaphora, idiomatic expressions, and related words for pride, including self-exaltation, proud, hubris, vanity, superciliousness, boast, shyness.
Is proud a negative word?
The self-respect that I have (neutral). Self-belief in your own abilities is (positive). (negative) to be too proud in your abilities.
Who is proud person?
Someone who is proud doesn’t like anyone to help them or believe they’re weak. We are an independent and proud nation of people. I was too proud to admit I didn’t understand the concept to do it. Synonyms and related terms.
How do you say proud of you?
- I have the best job! I am your mother/dad!
- 02″How did you manage to complete the task?
- It must have been hard, but you did a great job.
- I am amazed at how much you have gotten!
What are you proud of?
- How you live your life confidently.
- It is so beautiful to see your smile.
- What challenges you’ve overcome.
- The ability to forgive yourself.
- Who you are
- Your best traits
- Learnings you’ve had
- I care about my loved ones and the world.
Is proud of synonym?
- be proud of
- pride oneself on
- have in keeping
- show off
What are 2 antonyms for proud?