We’ll pick up the word understanding in our dictionary and…
We’ll pick up the word understanding in our dictionary and thesaurus. We use this expression frequently in everyday speech. You must first comprehend what it implies to apply it properly. There will be research into synonyms of understanding, antonyms, and sentence examples.
Before we go on to synonyms and antonyms, let’s review the definition. We’ll start with this word’s definition right away.
Definition of Understanding
Understanding can be a noun or an adjective, depending on the context. It is also the present participle form of the verb understand, which we will also cover in this article. Below you can find the meanings associated with this expression.
- Mind; intelligence; and mental faculties.
- Superior discernment skills; elevated intelligence.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with a specific thing; aptitude for handling or manipulating something
- A situation where people are getting along or are being in agreement with one another.
- A mutual agreement, especially one that is secret, unspoken, or unwritten.
- An agreement that controls collaboration or resolves conflicts; frequently informal or provisional.
- A person motivated by comprehension, intelligence, discernment, empathy, or the like.
So, now you have a general (no pun intended) understanding of the word understanding. We will take a look at some examples, which we will share below.
- There was a mutual understanding between gangs that there would be a truce on Sunday.
- Just talk to Mr. Rogers. He is a very understanding person. I am sure he will let you have a day off.
- If you do this again, I am going to have to fire you. Do you understand?
- She can’t understand the general principle of how manual transmissions function.
- Mariana has a very basic understanding of English. Try talking with her slowly.
- I don’t think you understand the gravity of this conundrum.
Synonyms of Understanding — Exploring Related Words
Comes from Latin concordare, which means “to be in agreement.”
- After hours of negotiation, they finally reached an accord.
- What I am doing here is in accordance with the law, you know that, officer.
From Latin comprendere, which means to comprehend.
- Your accent is pretty good, but we must work on your reading comprehension. All in all, the way you go, you will learn French rapidly.
- The president doesn’t have a good comprehension of the situation in the Balkans.
We hope you now have a better idea of the termunderstanding after reading this article. We looked for synonyms, antonyms, and, naturally, the word’s meaning. If you have any more words you’d like us to write, please let us know!
Frequently asked questions
What’s the opposite of not understanding?
|be indifferent||not care|
What is the antonym of understand by using prefix?
Answer. With misunderstand, the verb adds the “bad” or “wrong” prefix mis- to understand, which is a root word for “to stand in the middle” in Old English.
What is your understanding?
If you explain that something seems to be the case, you mean that you believe it to be true because you have heard or read how it is. It has been torture for many years, I understand. They wanted to be in Washington, we understand.
What is education understanding?
Understanding can be understood as a process by which the student creates a personal meaning or representation of what is being experienced. When it comes to content taught in school (and information gained abroad), students may create the same understanding as their teachers.
What is the Synonym of misunderstanding?
(noun) Taking the meaning of mistake. Synonyms. mistake. error. misconception.
What is another word for not understanding?
|not get||be baffled|
|be bewildered||be perplexed|
What is the opposite form of understand?
|Get definition and list of more Antonym and Synonym in English Grammar.|
What is a opposite word?
The definition of opposite words. A word that expresses a meaning opposed to the meaning of another word, in which case the two words are both synonyms.
What is an understanding person called?
A person who is capable of understanding and sharing one’s feelings and emotions.
What is the synonym of understanding?
Understanding, apprehension, grasp, grip, mastery, perception, discernment, appreciation, interpretation, cognizance, knowledge, ken, conception, digestion, assimilation, absorption. knowledge, awareness, consciousness. A deepening of knowledge about, familiarity with, acquaintance with. Having knowledge of, expertise of, proficiency in.
How can I be more understanding?
- Think first and then speak.
- Avoid jargon
- Be more effective by saying less.
- Let me know what you say.
- Make sure you don’t miss the point.
- Have a listener
- Make appropriate non-verbal communication.
What is the adjective of understanding?
understandable. I am capable of being understood; comprehensible.
What is a word for easy to understand?