We’ll pick up the word understanding in our dictionary and thesaurus. We use this expression frequently in everyday speech. You must first comprehend what it implies to apply it properly. There will be research into synonyms of understanding, antonyms, and sentence examples.
Not satisfied with your copy? Rewrite it to make it better
Before we go on to synonyms and antonyms, let’s review the definition. We’ll start with this word’s definition right away.
Definition of Understanding
Understanding can be a noun or an adjective, depending on the context. It is also the present participle form of the verb understand, which we will also cover in this article. Below you can find the meanings associated with this expression.
- Mind; intelligence; and mental faculties.
- Superior discernment skills; elevated intelligence.
- Knowledge of or familiarity with a specific thing; aptitude for handling or manipulating something
- A situation where people are getting along or are being in agreement with one another.
- A mutual agreement, especially one that is secret, unspoken, or unwritten.
- An agreement that controls collaboration or resolves conflicts; frequently informal or provisional.
- A person motivated by comprehension, intelligence, discernment, empathy, or the like.
So, now you have a general (no pun intended) understanding of the word understanding. We will take a look at some examples, which we will share below.
- There was a mutual understanding between gangs that there would be a truce on Sunday.
- Just talk to Mr. Rogers. He is a very understanding person. I am sure he will let you have a day off.
- If you do this again, I am going to have to fire you. Do you understand?
- She can’t understand the general principle of how manual transmissions function.
- Mariana has a very basic understanding of English. Try talking with her slowly.
- I don’t think you understand the gravity of this conundrum.
Synonyms of Understanding — Exploring Related Words
Comes from Latin concordare, which means “to be in agreement.”
- After hours of negotiation, they finally reached an accord.
- What I am doing here is in accordance with the law, you know that, officer.
From Latin comprendere, which means to comprehend.
- Your accent is pretty good, but we must work on your reading comprehension. All in all, the way you go, you will learn French rapidly.
- The president doesn’t have a good comprehension of the situation in the Balkans.
We hope you now have a better idea of the termunderstanding after reading this article. We looked for synonyms, antonyms, and, naturally, the word’s meaning. If you have any more words you’d like us to write, please let us know!
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…