Things is an extensive and general term. It can mean…
Things is an extensive and general term. It can mean almost anything, but you can use synonyms to tell something more specific. There are many things synonyms that may not be familiar to you.
But with this quick guide, you will know everything about the word things. This will help you use the word more creatively and purposefully. With that in mind, let’s start with the word’s meaning.
The Definition of Things
According to the dictionary, things refer to physical items, people, animals, buildings, land, businesses, and immaterial or abstract objects. These items can be tangible or intangible.
However, the definition can change depending on the context which defines the thing. In legal terms, a thing can refer to a material object, personal property, or a legal entity.
Given this broad explanation, here are some examples of how to use it.
- I like doing things that make my family happy.
- She had to transfer some of her things to a giant cabinet.
- Along with the things in her locker were her thesaurus and English books.
- If only she knew the truth, things would have been different.
- Plants are living things too.
- One of the things I like about him the most is his confidence.
- Even when it looked grim, she believed things would get better.
Things Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
An object is tangible or visible and can be touched or handled by another person. This term can refer to items like stones, glass, rubber, a balloon, or even a bridge. It may also refer to anything expressed in words or thoughts, such as themes, feelings, or even mathematical or computational equations.
- Up in the sky was an object that looked like a hot air balloon.
- He had an idea what the object of her concern was.
Items refer to a set of objects. These items may be bought or sold, but their ownership does not change. These items can be valuable and owned by individuals or a private or public organization. The meaning of things and items are somewhat interchangeable.
- She bought a collector’s item from the vintage shop.
- Several items from the store were sold out.
- They displayed a lot of clothing items in the mall windows.
A commodity is an item that has value. The term refers to raw material, factory-made products, or manufactured items. These items are not used for personal, household, or agricultural purposes and are available for trade or market. Examples of commodities include, but are not limited to, cotton, pork bellies, milk, and gold.
- Petroleum is by far an essential commodity today.
- Coal is slowly becoming a rare commodity.
- They produced agricultural commodities like corn and grain.
Entity refers to an individual or any other thing considered an indivisible whole. Unlike a shadow or an idea, it has a physical, tangible existence.
- A lot of business entities have been coming to the city recently.
- She worked for a private entity after she graduated.
Things Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Nothing is a null set. It refers to the absence of things. Whereas anything relates to anything that exists. The opposite of Nothing is Anything.
- There is nothing that can bring her down when she’s happy.
- He did nothing but cry the entire day.
- There was nothing much that he could do about the incident.
Disorganization is a state of having different things and places in an uncontrolled and unorthodox manner. The items or entities are not correctly put together, or they do not have a finite boundary.
- Because of civil unrest, disorganization was growing in the city.
- When the war erupted, the entire country suffered from disorganization.
Anything. Everything. Nothing. Things is a very vague and broad term. It can mean many different things, which is why knowing some of its synonyms is essential. This guide will help you construct your article well and free you from confusion.