Our thoughts are what shape behavior in terms of what we do, the direction we take, and where we go. It’s amazing that there are so many words that can describe something abstract. If you’re having difficulty finding a thought synonym, fret not.
Not satisfied with your copy? Rewrite it to make it better
We’ve created a comprehensive list that will help you understand these synonyms in different contexts.
What is the Definition of Thought?
Thought refers to a concept or opinion created by thinking. It can also describe the process of thinking.
- The thought of winning the contest thrilled him.
- His disappointment was immeasurable because he thought he was going to win the contest.
Thought Synonym – Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
There are many alternatives to the word thought. Each thought synonym listed here differs in context and will have different applications. Some similar terms will be more appropriate in certain contexts than others.
Refers to a thought or a suggestion related to a possible course of action. It can also refer to information on a given topic.
- I have an idea of how to write my articles more efficiently.
- Do you have an idea where I can improve my writing style?
Refers to a vague understanding of something.
- The notion of right and wrong vary between cultural backgrounds.
- Not all movie directors accept the notion that violence has a harmful effect on viewers.
Perception is an individual’s understanding of a thing based on what he experiences through the senses. This takes into account the individual differences that exist as a result of different experiences.
- Andy has a poor perception of Henry because they fought in college.
- Gabriel has a positive perception of Henry because they were teammates on their high school basketball team.
- The patient’s negative perception of ducks stems from a traumatic childhood experience.
A concept is a building block for a principle. It is a structured thought that can also serve as a plan of action. In a creative context, a concept is a general basis for what you want the finished product to be like.
- It’s not uncommon for car manufacturers to apply last year’s experimental concepts as the primary basis for newer consumer models.
- Sustainable energy is the main concept behind the demand for solar panels and electric vehicles.
An opinion represents a person’s subjective feelings regarding a particular topic. It can also refer to an estimation of the quality of someone or something.
- I tend to have a high opinion of people who are well-mannered and well-dressed.
- The opinions of news reporters do not reflect the opinions of the network.
Thought Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Another way to understand a word is through its opposite meaning. Here are some antonyms to help you gain a better grasp of the word thought.
Refers to a lack of concern, interest, or thought of something.
- Suppressing emotions and displaying apathy are two different things.
- Apathy can be an indication of a neurological disorder.
Refers to a lack of attention. It can also refer to a state of being distracted.
- Even a moment of inattention can cause a car accident.
- The inattention he displayed in class was disrespectful.
Neglect refers to the failure to care about something or someone. This often involves a responsibility to a task or a person. It also refers to the state of being forgotten.
- He neglected his duties. They never even crossed his mind.
- The house was neglected beyond repair. It was as if the owner had never thought about it.
A lack of interest, concern, or sympathy. It is often used to describe a reaction to an emotional stimulus.
- She felt indifferent even as he was crying in front of her.
- Be careful when writing about political issues, but don’t show indifference either.
The state or action of ignoring something or someone.
- His disregard for the rules almost cost them the game.
- Please disregard my previous message.
The depth of the English language entails that it takes more than just a Thesaurus to find the right related terms for a word. It’s important to understand the subtle contextual differences between these words, so we can use them in the best possible way. Remember, there’s always a better way to write and there’s always a better word to use.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Happen Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. Not satisfied with your…
For Example Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
Expectations Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
Environment Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Effective Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Discuss Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…