It’s another day to broaden your vocabulary, and what better way to start than to learn about the word, utilize. It may not be the most fabulous word in the English language, but you can use it, and other utilize synonyms in countless ways.
In this complete guide are all the things you need to know about the word utilize: from its meaning to several sentence examples. So get ready to make some notes and start learning!
Definition of Utilize
In everyday English, this describes the act of using something for a purpose or function. It can also sometimes mean taking the maximum advantage of a particular situation or system. It can be a verb or a noun.
To help you better understand this word, here are some sample sentences:
- By utilizing existing resources, the company was able to double its profits.
- The politician utilized his power by voting to pass the bill.
- If you utilize your time correctly, you’ll be able to finish all your tasks sooner.
Utilize Synonym — Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
Use is one of the very close synonyms of utilize. It comes from a Latin word, ‘utilis,’ meaning to result in change, fix, or repair. It can suggest the usage or the employment of something.
- These shoes are a perfect use for this outfit
- I will use my computer to learn to program.
The act of employing something means making utilization of it. The term typically refers to supply, such as the utilization of machinery that might otherwise be idle.
- We employ tools to achieve what we want in our daily lives.
- They employed their skills to fix their car.
Appropriate means devoting something to match and suit a particular intention. It is to utilize something in the best possible way.
- A soft drink can be appropriately served at a party.
- It’s not appropriate to drink if you’re underage.
According to the dictionary, exploit is “to use to the full or for one’s advantage or gain”. It is also described as utilizing something for one’s own needs.
- I exploit my strengths to be a better asset to my company.
- They exploited their family’s wealth to continue living their comfortable lifestyle.
Utilize Antonyms — Exploring Words with Opposite Meanings
Misuse is a term referring to using something in an improper way. It is using something in a way that harms, detracts from, or violates its intended purpose.
- He misused his power by taking advantage of other people.
- Misusing a weapon can prove to be fatal.
The dictionary refers to cease as an act of withdrawing support or calling for a halt to a situation or condition.
- They ceased their operations because they had no proper permits.
Impede is closely similar to cease but has more meaning and is a stronger synonym. It means to restrict or impede the development or action of something.
- The police impeded the protest.
To Wrap Up
There are quite a lot of terms that have a similar meaning to the word Utilize. It is easy for some people to be unsure how to apply the word.
Hopefully, this guide will enable you to employ different utilize synonyms much more quickly.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. As a writer, it’s…
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…