English has many different word pairings. Finding the appropriate term…
English has many different word pairings. Finding the appropriate term to express ideas when writing is often challenging.
When you use synonyms, your reader will notice because the sentences will be more explicit. Here’s a list of synonyms, their root words, and sentence examples for variety.
What Does Variety Mean?
Variety means a lack of monotony or sameness. It is the state of being diverse or having the attribute of being diversified. Variety is a characteristic that is analogous to difference.
Sentence examples of variety
- We chatted heartily about a variety of things, including our likes and dislikes.
- There’s a better variety of margarine at the counter.
- The businessman owns the variety store and opens the store at precisely 10 am every weekday.
Variety Synonym: Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
An assortment is a blend, collection, or combination of many kinds. The term ‘assort’ (v.) originated in late 15c. to mean “to distribute into groups or classes.” It stems from Old French assorter, which means “to assort, match.”
Examples of sentences with assortment
- When I looked over the assortment of sneakers, I was in awe.
- Mildred frowned at the assortment of dusty old books.
- There was an unusual assortment of pens, pencils, and paperclips in the drawer.
An array is a striking display or assortment of a specific thing. It could come in the form of a logically arranged sequence of items.
The term originated in the mid-14c to mean “order or position of things, arrangement, sequence.” It stems from Anglo-French arrai, and Old French, aroi arroi (12c.).
Examples of sentences with array
- Jackie met his wide gaze capturing the array of emotions across his features.
- The array of fish at the market beside the big river fascinated Karen.
- Is there an array of books in the Library on all the subjects in this world?
A mishmash is a haphazard collection of miscellaneous items. In simple terms, it is a conglomeration of disparate elements.
It was first recorded in the 1590s to mean “anything reduced to a soft pulpy consistency.” In the figurative sense, it meant “confused mixture, muddle.” In 1904, it was the short form for mashed potatoes.
Examples of sentences with mishmash
- The designs were a fantastic mishmash of vibrant colors and patterns.
- Do you know that the latest episode of the magazine is a mishmash of jokes, memes, and the latest news?
- The letter was a mishmash of ideas hurriedly put together with no central focus.
Medley can be defined as the heterogeneous collection of objects that are not normally seen together.
It first appeared in the c. 1300 to mean “hand-to-hand combat, war, battle.” Although now obsolete, it stemmed from Old French medlee, variant of meslee, from mesler, which meant “to mix, mingle, meddle.”
Examples of sentences with medley
- A medley of victorious shouts rose from the camp when they realized the enemy had fallen.
- McDonald’s famous burger contains a medley of spices that appeal to even the strictest weight loss enthusiasts.
- A medley of exciting films will grace the cinemas this holiday.
A mixture combines or blends distinct parts, types, or characteristics. A mixture consists of numerous specific substances together.
Mixture first appeared in 15c and meant “that which results from mixing.” It emanates from Old French misture and directly from Latin mixtura, which means “a mixing.”
Examples of sentences with mixture
- The mixture of ginger and garlic makes me want to throw up.
- What does the mixture of sand and cement produce?
- The mixture will make way for air to penetrate.
To Wrap Up
Variety is a versatile word. Understanding what it means and how to use it in sentences and other contexts is essential. Engage a dictionary or thesaurus when in doubt. Don’t second guess. Including synonyms in your work makes it more engaging and attractive to readers.
Frequently asked questions
How do you write a guide?
What to remember when you are writing a Guide is to write in plain English to make it as understandable as possible. Choose your content so the most important information is at the top. Divide content into sections that are easy to read. Headings are used to help users navigate content.
How do you use variety in a sentence?
- I talked to them amiably about a variety of things.
- Several types of prepackaged sandwiches are available, but there is a better choice at the counter.
- She always smiled and spoke a good word while she was working at the variety store.
What is variety store definition?
A variety store is a store that sells a wide variety of goods especially with low units value.
What is the meaning of variety of food?
Food variety is the term used to describe a variety of foods from varied food groups, such as vegetables, fruit, cereals, meat, fish, and dairy products. We are able to get all the nutrients necessary for a healthy diet when we eat a variety of food.
Which is the best antonym for the word guide?
- leave alone
Is or are a variety?
It means “a large number of” when translated to “various”. Therefore, if there is a variety, then there are more than one type of item. Hence, plural. You wouldn’t say “ten dishes are available”, you would simply say “there are ten dishes available”.
Is variety and different the same?
Yes, you can say that. There is little difference. The idea of “different” is reinforced by the phrase “different.”. That sentence has the same meaning for them.
What is a synonym for variety of life?
Noun. Variability of life. biodiversity. biological variety.
What is a variety synonym?
Variation, array, assortment, change, collection, diversity, mixture, range, soup, variation, brand, breed, category, character, description, type, nature, quality, strain, combination, conglomeration.
How do you say variety?
What is variety simple Definition?
Varieties 1: the quality or state of having different forms or types : multifariousness. 2 : a number or collection of particular items especially of a particular class; assortment.
What is a synonym for large variety?
A wide, large, or extensive variety. variety. assortment. medley.
How do you use synonyms?
Rather than using the word “beautiful” several times in your text, you might use synonyms like “gorgeous,” “stunning,” or “ravishing” to better convey your description. Only repeating the same word will ensure you lose the attention of your audience just out of boredom!
What is variety and examples?
Variety is such a variety or the fact that there are many things. Purple flowers, blue flowers, green flowers, and flowers of other colors are examples of variety. noun. 4. The state of having various or varied qualities; absence of monotony or sameness.
What is the synonym of guide?
Guides are often referred to as engineers, lead, pilot, and steer. While the words guide and direct mean “directing in a course or showing the way to follow through,” guide implies intimate knowledge of this path and its dangers and difficulties. Guided the scouts through the cave.