English has many different word pairings. Finding the appropriate term to express ideas when writing is often challenging.
Not satisfied with your copy? Rewrite it to make it better
When you use synonyms, your reader will notice because the sentences will be more explicit. Here’s a list of synonyms, their root words, and sentence examples for variety.
What Does Variety Mean?
Variety means a lack of monotony or sameness. It is the state of being diverse or having the attribute of being diversified. Variety is a characteristic that is analogous to difference.
Sentence examples of variety
- We chatted heartily about a variety of things, including our likes and dislikes.
- There’s a better variety of margarine at the counter.
- The businessman owns the variety store and opens the store at precisely 10 am every weekday.
Variety Synonym: Exploring Words with Similar Meanings
An assortment is a blend, collection, or combination of many kinds. The term ‘assort’ (v.) originated in late 15c. to mean “to distribute into groups or classes.” It stems from Old French assorter, which means “to assort, match.”
Examples of sentences with assortment
- When I looked over the assortment of sneakers, I was in awe.
- Mildred frowned at the assortment of dusty old books.
- There was an unusual assortment of pens, pencils, and paperclips in the drawer.
An array is a striking display or assortment of a specific thing. It could come in the form of a logically arranged sequence of items.
The term originated in the mid-14c to mean “order or position of things, arrangement, sequence.” It stems from Anglo-French arrai, and Old French, aroi arroi (12c.).
Examples of sentences with array
- Jackie met his wide gaze capturing the array of emotions across his features.
- The array of fish at the market beside the big river fascinated Karen.
- Is there an array of books in the Library on all the subjects in this world?
A mishmash is a haphazard collection of miscellaneous items. In simple terms, it is a conglomeration of disparate elements.
It was first recorded in the 1590s to mean “anything reduced to a soft pulpy consistency.” In the figurative sense, it meant “confused mixture, muddle.” In 1904, it was the short form for mashed potatoes.
Examples of sentences with mishmash
- The designs were a fantastic mishmash of vibrant colors and patterns.
- Do you know that the latest episode of the magazine is a mishmash of jokes, memes, and the latest news?
- The letter was a mishmash of ideas hurriedly put together with no central focus.
Medley can be defined as the heterogeneous collection of objects that are not normally seen together.
It first appeared in the c. 1300 to mean “hand-to-hand combat, war, battle.” Although now obsolete, it stemmed from Old French medlee, variant of meslee, from mesler, which meant “to mix, mingle, meddle.”
Examples of sentences with medley
- A medley of victorious shouts rose from the camp when they realized the enemy had fallen.
- McDonald’s famous burger contains a medley of spices that appeal to even the strictest weight loss enthusiasts.
- A medley of exciting films will grace the cinemas this holiday.
A mixture combines or blends distinct parts, types, or characteristics. A mixture consists of numerous specific substances together.
Mixture first appeared in 15c and meant “that which results from mixing.” It emanates from Old French misture and directly from Latin mixtura, which means “a mixing.”
Examples of sentences with mixture
- The mixture of ginger and garlic makes me want to throw up.
- What does the mixture of sand and cement produce?
- The mixture will make way for air to penetrate.
To Wrap Up
Variety is a versatile word. Understanding what it means and how to use it in sentences and other contexts is essential. Engage a dictionary or thesaurus when in doubt. Don’t second guess. Including synonyms in your work makes it more engaging and attractive to readers.
Explore All Synonyms Articles
Happen Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
Are you looking to use happen synonym examples to spice up your writing? That’s not surprising. Not satisfied with your…
For Example Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
One of the best things you can do to improve as a writer is memorize the synonyms of your favorite…
Expectations Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use expectations synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various similar…
Environment Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use environment synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Effective Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
If you’re looking to use effective synonym examples in your writing, you’re in luck. This article explores the various synonyms…
Discuss Synonym Guide — Definition, Antonyms, and Examples
As a writer, you should understand the essence of studying the synonyms of your favorite words. By doing so, you…