A freelance copywriter is an individual who makes money by…
A freelance copywriter is an individual who makes money by writing business copies intended to persuade a target audience to make a purchase. Freelance copywriting entails crafting various marketing materials, from sales brochures and email marketing copy to advertising campaigns and promotional articles.
Starting a career in freelance copywriting can be challenging. Fortunately, this guide discusses everything you need to know about becoming a successful freelance copywriter.
Who is a Freelance Copywriter?
A freelance copywriter is a contractor who writes articles or content to persuade an audience to take a specific action. Copywriters craft various marketing materials, including advertisement copies, email marketing copies, and website content. They write for websites, billboards, magazines, social media, and several other platforms.
A company may hire a freelance copywriter to write a product description for a new product launch. Before crafting content, copywriters research the brand, its target audience, and competitors. This way, they create content that aligns with the brand.
Freelance copywriters work independently – they’re in charge of their business and are responsible for establishing rates for their services. They often work on a project-to-project basis or on a package deal where they work with an agency on a commission basis. Freelance copywriters have a lot of flexibility in their work – they decide what projects to work on. Typically, a freelance copywriter does the following:
- Conducts market research on the topic.
- Provides recommendations to clients regarding targeting consumers.
- Adheres to client style guidelines.
- Incorporates strategic keywords in the copy.
- Attaches images to content to make it visually appealing.
- Publishes written copies to a Content Management System (CMS).
- Tracks analytics of the content.
Becoming a Freelance Copywriter: Tips for Success
Freelance copywriting requires a high level of skill and great attention to detail. Here are some of the tips for becoming a successful freelance copywriter.
1. Find a niche
Many of the top freelance writers specialize in a niche. Early in your career, it’s a good idea to figure out which niches you want to target, as different niches will require other skills. For example, you might want to focus on beauty and fashion copy. If you’re not sure what niche to settle on, consider your passion, interest, and the skills you possess.
Think about the kind of writing you enjoy and the clients you want to attract. You’ll build your experience and become an expert by focusing on a niche. You’ll also end up with clients who are a good fit for your work ethic, writing style, and industry knowledge.
2. Gain professional experience
Having discovered your niche, gain professional experience in that area. By doing this, you improve your skills and become an expert copywriter that offers qualitative work. You may need to learn skills like SEO techniques, digital marketing, and others that help you build your brand.
While in training, offer services to people in your network. You may also consider volunteering with nonprofits and writing for small businesses. This way, you put into practice what you’ve learned.
3. Build your portfolio
Your portfolio is not just a folder of your professional writing samples but also living proof of your passion for writing. Build an online portfolio where you share examples of your work showing your talent. Potential clients will ask for samples of what you’ve written previously, so creating a portfolio is best. Your portfolio is essential to your marketing, so don’t neglect it – make it as appealing as possible.
4. Brand yourself as a freelance copywriter
Branding can go a long way in helping you succeed as a freelance copywriter. A solid brand and an irresistible package will help your potential clients locate you quickly. Establish your brand by doing the following:
- Design a professional logo: Craft out a phrase or symbol that portrays you as a copywriter. Ensure your logo is attached to your website, business cards, and social media profiles.
- Create a copywriting website: A professional website displays information about you and your services. Use consistent colors from your logo to align your brand. Consider uploading your copywriting portfolio and list out the rates you charge.
- Advertise your services on social media: Social media is a great platform to raise awareness about your services. Create a business profile on different platforms and share samples of your work to attract potential clients.
Freelance Copywriting: Required Skills
Many people think that the central skill of copywriting is story-telling, but this is only one aspect of creating an excellent copy. The skills and qualities required for successful freelance copywriting include technical skills and personality traits.
Other essential skills you need to succeed as a freelance copywriter are:
- Writing and technical skills
- Strong research skills
- Written communication skills
- SEO techniques
- Ability to communicate information to various audiences in many different formats.
- Time management skills
- Editing skills
- Business management skills
To Wrap Up
Copywriting is the art of using words or phrases to persuade an audience to purchase a product or service. As a freelance copywriter, you must create compelling copy that will lure in potential customers and inspire them enough to take action.
Starting as a freelance copywriter can be challenging, but in the end, it pays off in dividends. This guide will give you some insight on how to begin. With hard work and practice, you’ll become a successful freelance copywriter.
Frequently asked questions
How can I practice copywriting?
- Identify your audience
- Keep your headlines concise and attractive.
- Negatives are useful if possible.
- Talk about them more than you do.
- Describe their experiences and appeal to their emotions.
- Speak their language
- Trim the fat (content) as much as possible.
Is copywriting a good career?
Working as a freelancer or business can be very lucrative. Client budgets vary depending on the company or size of the campaign. As with all industries, there are companies that are just starting out with a smaller budget. There are more established medium businesses.
What are the 6 core copywriting skills?
- Refined Writing Skills. It is essential for a copywriter to write well.
- What Skills Should You Have To Pick Up.
- Writing With Empathy
- A User Experience Approach.
- Stellar Research Skills
- Is it possible to create something new, even if it is old?
- Adventure and Curiosity
How can a beginner start copywriting?
- Keep Writing
- Benefits should be the main focus, not features.
- Maintain Conversational Copy
- Use Hemingway’s Help
- If possible, tell stories.
- Do Competitor Research
- Master Subject Matter
- Know Your Value
How do I create a copywriting portfolio?
- Sample Copywriting. Even if you’re new to copywriting, you must have created a wide array of content at this point.
- Provide various types of work.
- Send your samples directly to the clients.
- Hosting your copywriting portfolio on several platforms.
What is the easiest freelance job?
- Web Research
- Social Media Manager
- Appointment Setting
- Customer Service
- Virtual Assistant
- Content Writer
- Data Entry
How do I start freelance copywriting with no experience?
- Start with a niche market.
- Don’t let what other copywriters do divert you.
- Offer Your Prospects An Offer They Can’t Reject.
- Earning while you learn.
- No matter what, you must decide that you want to master this skill.
How can I improve my copywriting skills?
- Develop your writing skills.
- Writing different types of copy.
- An online course
- Learn more about the industry.
- Build your expertise by taking on small projects.
Who is the best copywriter?
- Leo Burnett
- Claude Hopkins
- Jon Makepeace, Gary Halbert, and Joe Coleman.
- Drayton Bird
- Eugene Schwartz
- David Ogilvy. David Ogilvy has been referred to as “The Father of Advertising” (the Father of advertising) as well as his compelling advertising copy.
How do copywriters get clients?
- Send cold pitches. Many freelancers balk at sending cold pitches.
- Apply for position in copywriting.
- Do guest posting
- Make contact with agencies or other services.
- Participate at conferences (or at least speak at them).
Is copywriting hard to learn?
I assure you, that copywriting is hard to break into-but they’ll tell you that you don’t need any training or experience. If you do not have training or experience and apply for a job, you are competing against people who do.
Is it difficult to be a copywriter?
How to teach yourself copywriting can be difficult. If you have a solid system, it doesn’t have to be hard. There is nothing better than understanding copywriting techniques in a good learning system.
What qualifications do I need to be a copywriter?
Copywriters typically have degrees in English, journalism, or another related field. Often, employers hire copywriters with a high school diploma or GED certificate, as well as an appealing work portfolio and background.
How do you pick a niche for a copywriter?
- 1: Look At Past Experiences, Skills, and Interests.
- Create your niche diamond in Step 2.
- Do some market research in Step 3.
- 4: Shortlist Products & Brands.
- Step 5: Start Writing
How do I become a successful freelance copywriter?
- Find your specialty. The type of content you want to write as a freelance copywriter is determined by your niche or specialty.
- Gain professional experience
- Create a copywriting portfolio.
- Become a freelance copywriter.
- Written communication
- Time management