Self-discovery is a journey. Each person has different preferences on where to begin this journey. But universally speaking, it’s essential to take some time to reflect with some insightful questions. That’s why we’ve rounded up 100 questions to get to know yourself better and grow as an individual.
What do you want out of life? What are your goals, hopes, and dreams? You need to know the answer to these questions to become the best version of yourself and create a life you love.
Try answering the other questions in this article to help you see who you are and the path you should embark on.
What is Self-Reflection?
Simply put, self-reflection is looking back on your life to understand who you are and what it is that you want for yourself. Self-reflection is a process, though, and it’s different for everyone.
The more time you set aside for reflection, the deeper insight you will have into who you are. It will help you know which path you want to take and what it will require to have the life you want.
The Importance of Self-Reflection
Self-reflection is one of the most important personal development practices you can incorporate into your life. It is not always easy to do, though. But its benefits far outweigh the obstacles it presents. Here are just some of those many benefits:
- It helps you know your core values
- Helps you understand your purpose and potential
- Pushes you to face your fears
- Helps you make better decisions
- Improves relationships
- Lessens stress and anxiety
100 Questions To Get to Know Yourself
Basic Questions About Yourself
- What’s your favorite book? Band? Food? Movie? Animal?
- What are some things you do for fun?
- What would you imagine a perfect day to look like?
- What is your general outlook on life? Do you think that you are a pessimist or an optimist?
- What are you looking forward to doing but have never done before? List the things that you want to accomplish.
- What are some things that you would like to achieve in your life? What would accomplishing them mean to you?
- What role models inspire you? Is there anything they inspire you to do/become more like?
- What are your short-term and long-term goals? Why are these so important to you?
- What is the most critical aspect of your life?
- What strengths and weaknesses do you possess as a person?
- Which areas do you think you need to work on?
- What is the meaning of success to you? And to what extent are you willing to go to achieve it?
- Do you think you have a good relationship with your finances? How do you feel about the power of money?
- How do you deal with your biggest fears?
- What are your ways of coping with negative emotions? Are these coping mechanisms good/ bad?
Questions About Your Past
- What has been your most challenging battle?
- What have been the best moments in your life so far?
- What were your biggest mistakes? And what lessons have you learned from them?
- How can you use the lessons you’ve learned from experiences in the past?
- What would you change about the past if you could go back?
- What’s the most exciting experience you have ever had?
- Have you ever done something spontaneously? What did it make you feel?
- When was the last time that you felt truly free?
- What’s the most courageous thing you’ve ever done?
- Which accomplishments have made you proudest?
- What felt important to you ten years ago that doesn’t anymore?
- Do you have a favorite childhood memory? Why does that memory stick out the most?
- What was the most enjoyable thing about your childhood?
- What would you tell your childhood self if you had the opportunity?
- What kind of encouragement would you give your past self?
Questions About The Now
- In what season of life are you currently?
- What are your top priorities at the moment?
- How do you feel every time you wake up?
- What distracts you when you’re trying to sleep?
- What is a hobby you’re currently loving?
- How do you spend your days off?
- What aspects of your life can you control?
- What can you do about the things you can’t control?
- Is there something more important to you than anything else? What is it?
- What is your opinion of the week, month, or year?
- Is your work enjoyable?
- What lessons did you take from the past week?
- What are your best memories from this year?
- How have you stepped out of your comfort zone today?
- What ways did you take to free up your calendar this week/month/year?
- What’s been bringing you joy recently?
- What aspects of life do you enjoy most right now?
- Where do you spend most of your free time on?
- What would you do if you could alter one thing in your life?
- What is the one thing you’re most grateful for / happy about / proud of?
Personal Growth Questions
- What five words would best describe yourself?
- How different are you from yourself three years ago?
- What are the most negative thoughts you have about yourself?
- Are you as confident as you could be?
- What are you most thankful for?
- What do you often take for granted?
- What can you do to show more gratitude?
- What did you agree to this week that you probably should have disagreed with?
- What characteristics do you admire in other people that you wish you had too?
- What is something that you complain about most often?
Deep Personal Questions
- What are the values that you believe in?
- Are you living your life with integrity?
- What are the most important life lessons that you’ve learned so far?
- What are your current priorities in life? Rank them in order.
- Do you believe there is a real meaning to life?
- What are the most pressing problems today? Is there anything you can do to solve them?
- Can you love yourself better?
- What are the things you would do if you only had three months left to live?
- What makes you want to live life?
- Do you see life as a continuous journey of self-improvement? Where should self-acceptance come in?
Questions to Reflect on for the Future
- How would you describe your ideal/dream life?
- How do you envision your dream home?
- Where would you be if you continued to do what you are doing now?
- What’s the most important goal on your bucket list?
- What career goals would you like to accomplish in the next five years?
- What would you tell your future self if you had the chance?
- What is the first thing you would do if you found out the world was ending?
- What would you like to say about your life to your grandchildren?
- If you got the chance to meet your future self, what advice would they share with you?
- Do you have any words of encouragement for your future self?
Insightful Questions About Life and Love
- Do you find you are happiest when you’re single or in a relationship, or does it not matter?
- What is the scariest thing about love?
- What do you think is the most amazing part about being in love?
- What does being in love feel like? How would you know that you are truly in love?
- What is your love language, and what makes you feel loved?
- Is there something that’s stopping you from falling in love? Maybe a belief or a bitter past experience.
- Do you think it’s important to experience love in your life?
- Do you believe in soul mates?
- What do you think it takes to make relationships last?
- What does love mean to you?
- How much time have you spent caring for yourself this week/month?
- What are some of your good habits? Are there any other good habits that you’d like to adopt?
- Are there any habits that you would like to eliminate? How can you make that happen?
- When was the last time you cried? What was about it that mainly affected you?
- What motivates you to feel rejuvenated and energized?
- What do you worry about the most?
- Do you think you are your own best friend or your worst enemy?
- Do you love yourself?
- What does self-love mean?
- What can you do to improve your self-care habits?
Getting to know yourself better is an ongoing process. Try asking yourself these questions as often as you need, even if you think you know yourself pretty well. These 100 questions to get to know yourself will surely help you know a lot about your own inner workings.
In knowing yourself on a deeper level, you will be able to identify what you need. And you’ll be able to find ways to improve yourself and your relationships. You will also be able to take a step back and look at what you can change in your life.
Explore All Engaging Questions Tool Articles
Spring is a season in the Earth’s yearly cycle after Winter and before Summer. It is the time life and…
Answering spouse game questions together can be fun. It’ll help begin conversations and further explore preferences, history, and interests. The…
Are you out to get a fun way to connect with your friends on Snapchat? Look no further than snap…
When it comes to acing tests, there are a few things that will help you more than anything else. Good…
As students, we are constantly learning new things. Every day, we are presented with further information and ideas we need…