Just like a real journalist would tailor questions they ask an interviewee, OC development questions should be used to help build characters.
OC development questions can help you connect with the character you’re writing about. This makes a deeper connection with the reader and lets them connect with your character.
This article has compiled a list of development questions to ask an OC. All the questions are simple and can help develop the overall character of your OC.
What Is OC Development?
An OC is a created character. OC is internet slang for a new character in published canon or a fan fiction writer’s supporting character.
When writing fiction, character development gives your characters a rich backstory and layered personality. As they work on their novels, authors provide the people they’ve created a wide range of characteristics that help bring them to life.
Significance of Character Interviews
It’s about more than just making a profile of your character, though that’s one aspect. It’s a method for getting to know a person’s inner workings and outside persona.
The best way to construct a real person is to interview that person. Some people might find this to be boring and pointless.
Character interviews reveal why characters react as they do, what motivates them, and how they handle specific situations. In this process, the developer learns more about the characters and can make better decisions on the plot.
Learning about the protagonist in advance helps jumpstart the discovery process. Once you’ve established a compelling protagonist, the story will develop organically around them.
OC Development Questions for Actors
There are a variety of techniques for developing a character’s history, but one tried-and-true method is to interview them and write down their responses. In addition to providing the best opportunity for total immersion, this also gives you valuable experience writing in their unique voice.
Ensure you map out your character’s essential traits to avoid starting all over. However, if you have nothing to work with, you might use these questions as a jumping-off point for your creative thinking.
Basic Questionnaire to Build a Character
Actors answer development questions during interviews. Most directors or producers ask some questions multiple times to build rapport within the conversation.
- What’s your complete name?
- What do you think of your name?
- Does your name have a specific origin or meaning?
- What are your nicknames?
- When was your birth?
- What age are you?
- Sexual preference?
20+ Development Questions on Physical Attributes
Development questions on physical attributes are important because they test how well the character can cope with various situations.
- What is your stature?
- How much do you weigh?
- What is your facial profile?
- What color is your hair?
- How do you style your hair?
- What color are your eyes?
- What eye shape do you have?
- Do you wear contact lenses or glasses? If so, what style of glasses?
- Do you possess any distinctive facial characteristics?
- What is your most noticeable facial feature?
- What’s your most prominent physical element?
- What is your complexion?
- What race or ethnicity are you?
- Do you wear makeup?
- Have any tattoos, scars, or birthmarks?
- Do you suffer from any physical handicaps or impairments?
- What kind of attire do you typically do? (at home, at work, out and about, in bed)
- Do you wear jewelry or a watch?
Personality Questions to Ask an Actor
The director and producer can ask about the actor’s personality and what they can add to the project, then videotape the interview.
- Exactly how often do you find yourself using the exact phrases or words?
- Any unique expression?
- Which description best describes you?
- Do you see the world through rose-colored glasses, or do you see the glass half empty?
- Which personality trait—introversion or extroversion—do you identify with more?
- Where do you find the most humor?
- Which of these is your “love language?”
- Can you tell me if you have any mental impairment?
- Consider how you’d like other people to perceive you.
- What is the most important thing about you?
History of an Actor As Part of Development Questions
When you know the background or historical information about the actor, the decisions made are easier, more informed, and more professional.
- When you were a kid, what were you like?
- How would you characterize your upbringing, wealthy or poor?
- Was your upbringing one of care and comfort or neglect and isolation?
- Give us an example of the most hurtful thing someone has said to you.
- What has been your most outstanding achievement?
- What was it like when you first kissed someone?
- Tell me about the worst thing you ever did to a loved one.
- Precisely what is it that you hope to accomplish in life?
- To your younger self, what piece of advice would you give them?
- What aromas take you back to your childhood or where you grew up?
Values and Desires
During this interview procedure, the actor being considered for the specific role is summoned to meet with the director and producers face-to-face.
Values and desires identified during the interview are used in the casting decision-making process to determine the actor who best fits the role’s characteristics.
- Please explain your morals.
- What is the absolute worst thing that can be done to a person?
- Just what does “freedom” entail?
- When was the last time you lied?
- What are your thoughts on dishonesty?
- Do you stick to your word?
- Who do you look up to in life?
- Suppose you had the power to save just one person; who would it be and why?
- Who would you go to for assistance if you had to choose just one?
- Which proverb do you find most apt?
When formulating OC development questions, it’s essential to be bold and ask personal questions. There is no taboo in asking them! Find what works for you. The more you do this, the better you will be at bringing characters to life.
Explore All Engaging Questions Tool Articles
Consider These Fun Questions About Spring
Spring is a season in the Earth’s yearly cycle after Winter and before Summer. It is the time life and…
Fun Spouse Game Questions For Couples
Answering spouse game questions together can be fun. It’ll help begin conversations and further explore preferences, history, and interests. The…
Best Snap Game Questions to Play on Snapchat
Are you out to get a fun way to connect with your friends on Snapchat? Look no further than snap…
How to Prepare for Short Response Questions in Tests
When it comes to acing tests, there are a few things that will help you more than anything else. Good…
Top 20 Reflective Questions for Students
As students, we are constantly learning new things. Every day, we are presented with further information and ideas we need…
Random History Questions For History Games
A great icebreaker game is playing trivia even though you don’t know the answer. It is always fun to guess…