A challenge you face when you are responsible for a group of people is to figure out what to talk about.
This can be particularly difficult when you want to have a conversation with people with vastly different backgrounds and opinions. Church small groups are always an opportunity for vibrant and meaningful conversations that help you know others better.
Icebreaker questions are a great way to kick things off. Posing small group questions is a great way to get people to open up and participate in the discussion.
We’ve compiled some of the most awesome small-group icebreaker questions. Use them to help get your small group off the ground and help your members connect and build meaningful connections.
Unique Small Group Questions
- What quality or attribute do you value most about your parents?
- Do you have a fun activity or hobby? What is it?
- What are you trying to improve upon or grow in?
- Which city was your favorite to live in?
- Where are you from, and what distinguishes your hometown?
- Do you have an embarrassing story to tell?
- Which American state is your favorite, and why?
- How many cities have you resided in?
- Which nation would you like to visit, and why?
- Where would you travel on a road trip if you could go anywhere with your best friend(s)?
- What would you bring with you to an Island?
- Who inspires you?
- Who would you want to meet—from the past or the present—and why?
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What was your favorite family activity when you were a kid?
- Which family vacation or activity is your favorite currently?
- Which Biblical figure would you like to be?
- What quality do you appreciate most in a friend?
- Which book is your favorite?
- What movie is your favorite?
Icebreaker Small Group Questions
- What animal do you like to watch the most at the zoo and why?
- Have you ever purchased matching items with someone or worn matching clothes with a family member?
- What happened during the period when you slept the least?
- Do you have a favorite vacation story?
- What peculiar or uncommon phobia do you have?
- What item do you want to get rid of from your home but can’t? (Please refrain from mentioning your partner or kids!)
- What food would you pick if you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life?
Deeper Small Group Questions
- Aside from the Bible, what work of literature has had the largest influence on you?
- Who is your spiritual hero?
- If you are married, at what moment did you confirm that you were in love with your partner? What is an important quality you seek in a mate if you are single?
- What is one distinctive position you held in your family? (For instance, the oldest, youngest, funniest, planner, peacemaker, or black sheep.)
- What valuable lesson was passed on by a grandparent or other experienced mentor?
- Everyone has a “heart home,” even if they have traveled a lot. Where is that for you, exactly.
- Which road trip or vacation was your favorite?
- What is one spiritual practice that you follow or have always wished your family, or you would follow?
- Which worship song or lyric has particularly touched your heart?
- What was your favorite bedroom feature as a kid or a comforting object you used to have?
Thought-Provoking Small Group Questions
- Tell us about the most inspiring event that has ever happened to you (Bible verse, piece of art, book, work of nature, person).
- What is a difficult life lesson you have learned?
- Which issue in the present-day world would you like to ask Jesus to change?
- Consider your closest ally in religion. What actions do they take to support you?
- Which prayer have you prayed the most frequently? What prayer has lately been granted to you?
- Has any Bible saying influenced you? Which one?
- What one trait, outside a sound mind, do you aim to preserve as you age?
- What journey or experience profoundly affected your spiritual life, and why?
- When last did someone give you such profound compassion and love as Jesus?
Small Group Questions for Youths
- What’s your reaction when someone compliments a trait or feature you have?
- Who inspires you, and why?
- Do you have a favorite biblical figure, and if so, why?
- How do you handle stress?
- Do you behave differently in some circumstances than others? Do you act differently at church compared to school? Different between with your buddies versus at home? Give instances.
- What does it mean that God created you? How does that manifest itself in your life, if at all?
- What about accepting oneself is difficult?
- Do you ever feel you are harder on yourself than others? Why or why not, please?
- What do you like and dislike about yourself? Explain why.
- Is it difficult to change? Explain your answer.
- Where do the majority of people get their sense of worth from? What defines them as a group?
- Do you ever feel compelled to pretend to be someone you’re not? Explain.
- Why do you believe some individuals bully or assault others? What is driving them, exactly?
- How can one deal with pressure and stress healthily?
- What do you fear the most?
- Do you have a pet peeve that makes you furious without cause? Why does it annoy you?
- What are constructive methods to handle anger?
Church groups are an environment where people feel comfortable sharing their personalities and life experiences. There are many different questions and things you can ask during your small groups to break the ice and keep it interactive.
Some questions help members get to know each other better. Others require a little more digging and help to establish a rapport and build better relationships. Be prepared to use these questions to make everyone comfortable.
Explore All Engaging Questions Tool Articles
Consider These Fun Questions About Spring
Spring is a season in the Earth’s yearly cycle after Winter and before Summer. It is the time life and…
Fun Spouse Game Questions For Couples
Answering spouse game questions together can be fun. It’ll help begin conversations and further explore preferences, history, and interests. The…
Best Snap Game Questions to Play on Snapchat
Are you out to get a fun way to connect with your friends on Snapchat? Look no further than snap…
How to Prepare for Short Response Questions in Tests
When it comes to acing tests, there are a few things that will help you more than anything else. Good…
Top 20 Reflective Questions for Students
As students, we are constantly learning new things. Every day, we are presented with further information and ideas we need…
Random History Questions For History Games
A great icebreaker game is playing trivia even though you don’t know the answer. It is always fun to guess…