Wondering how to start an essay about immigration? Whether you’re…
Wondering how to start an essay about immigration? Whether you’re a high schooler exploring immigration policies, or a college student learning more about the subject, this article is for you.
Nowadays, immigration is becoming more widespread around the world. This is due to the development in the economic and technological spheres.
Moreover, the gap between rich and poor becomes more prominent, causing migration to increase further. Therefore, educators now give immigration essays to their students, making the topic of immigration more relevant than ever.
Read on to find out how to write an impactful essay on the reasons, causes, benefits, and drawbacks of immigration.
How to Start an Essay About Immigration?
If you’re wondering how to start an essay about immigration, this post has all the information you need to enhance your writing.
Start the essay off with your thesis. It should state what you plan to argue if you have one. Then, give the reader a background of the issue or topic. Now, consider all of the evidence you have collected and highlight the most important pieces of evidence.
What Is Immigration?
Immigration is the process of relocating to another country. It is usually a relocation from a less economically developed country to a developed one with the hope of ongoing permission to reside.
This is the procedure of obtaining legal permanent residency abroad. People could decide to immigrate for various personal, economic, social, or political reasons.
Reasons and Causes for Migration
Today, migration is a global issue from an economic and business perspective. Many states’ populations are growing due to immigrants who move to new locations in search of a better life. Moving to a new place means getting used to another culture and lifestyle. Several factors influence people’s decisions to relocate. Here are some common reasons and causes for migration:
Personal Reasons and Wishes
Some people relocate to be with their spouses. People also migrate to advance professionally or fulfill a childhood ambition to reside somewhere specific. It could also be a desire to pursue education in a certain setting or nation.
People Immigrate for Safety Reasons
People often migrate due to the threat or danger posed to themselves or their families.
Persecution and discrimination based on religion, race, nationality, political beliefs, or social standing are only a few of the possible issues. Other reasons could be to escape from war or to be safe from one’s criminal activity.
Economic Factors Are Common for Immigration
Economic factors are a common cause of immigration. These economic factors may be seasonal or constant.
People frequently relocate from underdeveloped nations to developed ones in search of employment and financial possibilities. Low salaries, lack of jobs, and high taxes make life difficult for people. People continuously seek a better life.
Human Rights and Freedom
The lack of basic human needs and the desire for a higher quality of life are sociological reasons that are causing migration to increase. People work to improve their own and their families’ prospects.
One social reason for migration is to improve children’s education and career growth by getting a better education. Additionally, people could look abroad for services like life-saving surgery or medical care that may not be available in their home country.
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Immigration Process
The discussion about immigration has been going on for decades, but it seems to continue to be a contentious topic.
No matter what the reason might be, immigration is an important topic with many benefits and drawbacks. Learning more about the pros and cons of immigration will help you write an informed essay in this debate.
Benefits of Immigration:
Positive aspects of the immigration process that you can mention are:
- An improvement in living standards. Most people who move do so in search of safer neighborhoods, social security, and better career possibilities.
- Better personal and professional insights. Immigrants experience a variety of difficulties when they move to a new environment. They must become more independent and adapt to the new standards of living. It forces people to take on professional responsibilities, act independently, and work with new techniques and standards. As a result, they develop as professionals and gain new experiences.
- Encounters diverse cultures and expands knowledge. Immigrants have the chance to discover new cultures, traditions, and lifestyles while also learning more about the host nation’s cuisine and language.
Drawbacks of Immigration:
Negative aspects of the immigration process that you can mention are:
- Intolerance of other races and cultures. Only a few nations are welcoming to visitors; most tourists suffer racial discrimination or hatred instead.
- Encounters language barrier. Communication difficulties are among the primary drawbacks in a host nation. Therefore, it is recommended that you learn some basic terms beforehand for regular communication.
- There is a labor shortage. Unemployment is a significant issue that new immigrants may encounter. This is especially true if they decide to settle in a new location without having their credentials and skills recognized and validated.
The topic of immigration is complicated, but exploring all aspects of the immigration process gives you a better understanding of the concept.
There is often a misconception that immigrants are taking away jobs that the citizens deserve, but this is simply not the case. They are rather helping contribute to society and strengthen the economy. This article covers the most prevalent reasons, benefits, and drawbacks of the immigration process all across the world.