Drug abuse is the obsessive, compulsive, and excessive use of drugs over time. Regular use of drugs within a specific time frame results in addiction. A drug abuse essay discusses the concept of drug abuse, its effects, and ways to get rid of drug addiction. The introduction to drug abuse essay sets the tone for the rest of the paper.
The introduction is the first thing a reader sees, so it should be gripping. Your introduction should be compelling; it needs to give the reader an overview of the topic and present the argument or thesis.
The introduction should immediately grab the reader’s attention so that he or she will want to read the rest of the piece.
What Is A Drug Abuse Essay?
Drug addiction is a huge problem all over the world. It is the continuous use of certain substances to excite the brain and derive pleasure. Drugs are self-destructive and lead to significant changes in one’s behavior, activities, brain functioning, and health.
It is now more important than ever to educate others about the effects of drugs and their several harmful effects. Drug abuse essays aim to present an argumentative view on the problem of drug abuse. They also highlight possible solutions that may help eliminate drug addiction.
Common drug abuse essays are as follows:
- Poverty and Drug Abuse Addiction
- Drug Abuse in the Community
- Teenage Drug Abuse
- Drugs – Escape from Reality
- The Truth About Drugs – Illegal Drugs
- Drug Abuse Among Students.
- Substance Abuse and Development.
- The Destructive Pattern of Drug Abuse
- Drug Testing
- Prescription Drug Abuse
- Background on Drug Abuse
- Effects of Parental Drug Abuse on Teens
- The Relationship Between Adult Drug Abusers and Children.
- Effects of Drug Abuse on Families
- Drug Abuse Prevention and Control.
- The Truth of Drug Abuse.
- Drug Abuse in Athletes
How To Write A Compelling Introduction to Drug Abuse Essay
The introduction sets up the main issue you want to address within the main body of the paper. It gives an overview of the topic, provides background information, and states the thesis.
The introduction must grab the reader’s attention instantly and keep them engaged. It should be clear, concise, and relevant to the topic.
A good introduction consists of the following:
1. The Hook. The opening paragraph should intensely appeal to the reader’s immediate attention. Begin with a bold statement, a shocking fact/statistic, an anecdote, or a thoughtful question that tells the reader what the paper is about.
2. Background Information. Your introductory paragraph should provide the reader with background information about your topic, so they can grasp the significance of what you’re writing about.
3. The Thesis: Your paper’s thesis is what you will try to prove. It should be interesting enough to draw the reader’s immediate attention and let them know the main point you’re going to be arguing.
Introduction to Drug Abuse Essay Example
Drug addiction has become a serious problem today. More than 19.7 million adults (aged 12 or older) were reported to use illicit drugs in America in 2015. And, the rate has been steady. America spent over 740 billion dollars on drug and alcohol problems. Drug use has crucial psychological, social, and health effects. There is a need to understand the ill effects of drug abuse and what can be done to curb the rising cases.
To Wrap Up
The introduction to drug abuse essay sets the tone of the paper. Your introduction should grab the readers’ attention and help them decide whether or not to continue reading the piece.
Begin with an exciting opening statement; it could be a shocking fact or an interesting anecdote. Give the readers an overview of the topic and provide background information.
End the introduction with the thesis statement, a summary of the main points the body of the essay will focus on.
Explore All Essay Intro Generator Articles
The Different Ways to Start a Comparative Essay
Some writers intend to compare two specific things or ideas through their articles. They write these essays to compare and…
Know The Best Way to Start an Expository Essay
Are you into writing essays that tackle a still-unknown fact? Do you know how to write an expository essay? Before…
Writing an Opinion Essay? Read This First!
Students are required to express their opinions on a topic in an opinion essay. Pertinent illustrations and explanations support their…
Identifying the Best Transitions to Start an Essay
A typical academic assignment is the essay, which must meet certain requirements in order to be written properly. Even students…
How to Write Introductions for Synthesis Essays
One of the most exciting assignments you could have is writing a synthesis essay. For a college or university student,…
How to Write Introductions for Music Essays
Music is food for the soul, or so they say. A music essay analyzes or describes a piece of music,…