There’s nothing more frustrating than reading a piece filled with spelling errors. That’s why it’s essential to learn the accurate spellings of English words. Omitting just a letter in a word will make your writing look unintelligent and clumsy. How do you spell finally correctly?
INK will make sure your text is free of grammar mistakes
How Do You Spell Finally?
Finally or finaly? While these words may be intended to mean the same thing, one is a misspelling. Finally is an adverb, formed by adding the suffix -ly to the adjective form of the word final.
The word comes to play when referring to something that has happened after a long time following some delay or difficulty. It also indicates a last point or statement. Finaly is a common misspelling of the adverb finally.
The accurate spelling of the adverb formed from final is F-I-N-A-L-L-Y. This is almost straightforward, as adverbs form when you add -ly to the root word. Spelling the word as finaly is incorrect! It would mean that the suffix added to the adjective form final is -y, and this doesn’t form an adverb. You must spell the word with the double letter l.
The word ‘FI-NAL-LY‘ is a 7-lettered, three-syllable word with five consonants and two vowels. The phonemic pronunciation of the word is /ˈfaɪnəli/ with the stress on the first syllable (FI-nal-ly).
What Part of Speech Is ‘Finally?’
The word ‘finally’ is an adverb. It means; after a long time, at the end, conclusively, after much delay, eventually. Some of the synonyms of the word include: eventually, ultimately, in the end, at long last, at last and after a long time.
- I finally got my dream job!
- Finally, close the doors before going to bed.
- You finally got what you wanted; can you now leave?
- It’s good to finally meet you.
- I hope you’ve finally learned from your mistakes.
- We’re finally among the ranks of the elite.
- Mary and James are finally getting married.
- I finally passed the Medical Board exams!
- Finally, I want to thank all of you for your support and encouragement during my difficult times.
- I’m finally going to The Bahamas!
- We finally reached an agreement after 2 hours of negotiation.
- The missing girl was finally found and reunited with her parents.
- The New York Times finally published my article, and I am over the moon.
- Finally, I’m standing face to face with the woman I always wanted to marry.
- I finally want to move on, but I’m not sure how.
- Dave finally agreed to meet with me.
- Oh, you’ve finally cleaned your room.
- Are you finally going to tell me what’s bothering you?
To Wrap Up
How do you spell FINALLY? The word is an adverb that means ‘after a prolonged period,’ ‘eventually,’ or ‘conclusively.’ It is coined from the adjective final by adding the suffix -ly.
The only correct spelling of the word is FINALLY – not finaly. It’s okay if you’ve misspelled the word a couple of times in writing. The good thing is, you finally know how to spell the word correctly!
Explore All Spell Check Articles
How to Improve Your Spelling As an Adult
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
How to Spell Yesterday — a Quick Spelling Guide
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
Can’t Spell Review? Read This Right Away!
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
How to Spell None — a Quick Spelling Guide
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
Having Some Issues? Correct Spelling of Issue!
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…
The Correct Way of Spelling Decide!
English spelling can sometimes seem confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. English, a Germanic language, consists…