The term intelligent, erroneously spelled as entelligent by some, describes…
The term intelligent, erroneously spelled as entelligent by some, describes someone of high cognitive capacity. Misspelling this English word in writing will make your piece look unprofessional and shady. How do you spell intelligent? If you’re still unsure how to spell the word or want to learn a handy tip to spell it correctly, continue reading.
Intelligent: Etymology and Meaning of the Word
The word intelligent originates from Middle French word intelligent. Also, from Latin word intellegēns (which means “discerning”), the present participle of intellegō (“understand, comprehend”).
Intelligent is an adjective that describes someone of high or rapid cognitive capacity. The term refers to someone well-thought-out and well-considered. When someone is said to be intelligent, the person can think, understand and learn things quickly and satisfactorily. Synonyms of the word are clever, bright, smart, and knowing.
How Do You Spell Intelligent?
The accurate spelling of the word is I-N-T-E-L-L-I-G-E-N-T, not entelligent or inteligent. Entelligent is an obsolete spelling of the word. It is inappropriate and unacceptable in writing. Here’s a simple tip for spelling the word correctly. Intelligent begins with the word ‘in,‘ followed by ‘tell,’ a letter ‘i’, and finally ends with the word ‘gent.’
Intelligent is an eleven-lettered, four-syllable word with four vowels and seven consonants. The phonemic pronunciation of the word is /ɪnˈtɛlɪd͡ʒənt/. The stressed syllable in the word is the second as in “in-TEl-li-gent.”
What Part of Speech Is the Word ‘Intelligent?’
‘Intelligent’ is an adjective. It modifies a noun in a sentence. The term ‘intelligent’ describes someone with a high or satisfactory degree of mental capacity. When someone reveals or reflects good judgment or sound thought, the person is described as being ‘intelligent.’
- The engineer developed an ultra-intelligent app for the cell phone.
- I enjoy having intelligent and lively conversations.
- James is an intelligent young man; I’m in awe of his wealth of knowledge.
- I would describe Mary as an intelligent student.
- The general devised an intelligent strategy for the campaign.
- The archeologist is incredibly intelligent and a delight to have around.
- Carla is an innovative and intelligent young woman.
- Intelligent computers can become an indispensable diagnostic tool for doctors.
- The engineer had an intelligent design proposal for the new car.
- The statisticians were able to identify the most intelligent person in the office.
To Wrap Up
How do you spell intelligent?The correct spelling of this English word is I-N-T-E-L-L-I-G-E-N-T. Entelligent is an obsolete spelling of the word, now considered a misspelling that is unacceptable in writing.
Here’s an easy tip to remember the spelling of the word. It begins with the word ‘in,’ followed by ‘tell,’ a letter ‘i’, and ends with the word ‘gent.’
Frequently asked questions
What kind of adjective is intelligent?
Bright, with high or particularly rapid cognitive capacity,. We had an intelligent conversation with the engineer and my boyfriend.
What is the second form of intelligent?
Intelligent (comparative intelligenter, superlative intelligentst) intelligent, bright, intelligent.
How can I be intelligent in English?
What part of speech is intelligent?
As an adjective, the word Intelligence is used in the English language.
What is a better word than intelligent?
Brilliant, sharp, quick, quick-witted, quick on the uptake, smart, sharpening, canny, astute, intuitive, thinking, acute, alert, keen, insightful, perceptive, pers. ingenious, inventive. knowledgeable. Adaptable, capable, gifted, talented. informal brainy, genius.
Can you be intelligent but not smart?
Smart and intelligent can be interchangeable for many people, since the words seem interchangeable. However, the meanings and uses of these words are different. Taking smart decisions, like making smart business or emotional decisions, can be applied to learned inferences. Smart is earned status.
What is difference between intelligent and intelligence?
Intelligence is the ability of an individual to acquire knowledge and apply it, while, similarly, intellect is the power of objectively understanding and reasoning abstract ideas.
What’s the difference between smart and intelligent?
Smart and intelligent are often synonymous words. These words, however, have distinct usage differences. An intelligent person refers to both intelligence and appearance as well as their ability to draw upon facts to solve a problem. One’s intellect is defined as “intelligent,” and it is quantifiable.
How can a girl look smart?
- Wear Red. What’s the point in choosing color that can make such a difference in your attractiveness?
- Make sure you show off your hips.
- Make Yourself Taller
- Highlight your face on the left.
- Travel in Groups
- Make sure your eyebrows fit.
- Don’t forget to wear sunglasses.
How would you describe an intelligent woman?
Intelligence Intelligent – She has inventive solutions to problems based on her sharp perception. Perceptive – She can see decisions clearly with clarity. Creative – She comes up with ideas that others have not considered before.
How do you use intelligent in a sentence?
- The smartest student in class is Jason, who always seems to know the right answer.
- The creation of scholarly articles for a newspaper requires the skill of an intelligent writer.
- As a nerd in school, the intelligent computer designer is now among the smartest and richest men in the world.
How can I get smarter in 5 minutes?
- Make up a list of things you’ve done. Lists will enhance your memory and improve your short-term and long-term memory.
- Explicitly explain one new idea each day.
- Become more active in your brain.
- Try to get out of your comfort zone.
- Exercise more regularly
What is a highly intelligent person called?
A genius is a person who has a very high level of intelligence or a rare natural ability or skill, especially in the discipline of science or art.
What is the noun form of intelligent?
Intelligence can be described in its abstract noun.
How do you talk like an intelligent person?
- Sit up straight and relax your spine.
- Keep up your chin.
- Keep your listening to them.
- Make your voice heard loudly.
- With appropriate gestures, you can strengthen words.
- Position your body in a strategic manner.