The term ‘obvious’ implies that something is conspicuously glaring to anyone interested in it. It means something can be easily understood or easily discovered by everyone.
INK will make sure your text is free of grammar mistakes
Check out these examples:
- It was obvious to the doctor that the child was sick.
- It’s obvious from the result of the test that something is wrong.
- We know you like him, but try not to make it so obvious.
Obvious also means that most people would agree or follow a particular line of thought on a subject.
- He was the obvious choice for the award.
- There’s no obvious difference between them.
- It seemed like the most obvious thing to do at the time.
Obvious here connotes that there is nothing novel or creative about something and everyone knows so.
- His remark was pretty obvious.
- I may be stating the obvious, but this project will collapse without the right team.
What Part of Speech is Obvious?
A part of speech is a classification given to words based on their syntactic roles.
As an Adjective (Obvious)
Something obvious is straightforward to notice or understand. You may even be surprised that other people cannot see it·
Check out these examples:
- She agreed with obvious delight.
- For obvious reasons, I’d prefer not to interfere in their issues.
- The reasons for the downgrade were not immediately obvious.
As a Verb (Obtrude)
Obtrude means to become involved with something or to become noticeable unpleasantly or annoyingly.
- It is wrong to obtrude your beliefs on others.
- She had better not obtrude your opinions on [upon] others
- There are things I would not obtrude upon a teenager.
How Do You Spell Obvious
The proper pronunciation of obvious is ˈɒbviəs/ /ˈɑːbviəs/. Obvious is a seven-letter word that is spelled as o-b-v-i-o-u-s. You can chunk it into pieces or use mnemonics to help you memorize it.
To Wrap Up
Obvious is a word or phrase which seems to come to mind or slips out naturally. It is not difficult to figure out, but it requires effort to put it into perspective. It is easy to imagine the meaning of “obvious” but not so easy to describe why it is so apparent.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…