English can sometimes have spelling problems. English adopted many words from other languages without any limits.
The Germanic language English retains over 60% of its French, Latin, and Greek vocabulary. This means that you can generate the same sound in several ways.
A concentrated effort has never been made to standardize and streamline spellings. Although it is spoken worldwide, its spelling also differs among former colonies.
These factors combine to create a messy situation, at least spelling-wise. ESL and native speakers frequently misspell the word survey. That’s why we decided to dedicate today’s article to the word survey.
We will take a look at what this word means and its origins. We will also answer the question of how do you spell survey to help you in your future writing.
Definition of Survey
Depending on the context, survey can take a variety of meanings. Here are all the terms associated with the word.
- Examining the situation, the value, and the condition of something or someone.
- To query someone for data to be collected related to a group or area.
- Taking measurements that are linear and angular and applying geometry and trigonometry principles. This is made to determine the form, extent, and position of a property.
- To investigate something or someone in-depth.
It is always better to understand something using examples rather than going with definitions alone. That’s why we wrote some example sentences below.
Example Sentences With Survey
- Recent surveys show that the opposition candidate has a lead over his opponent.
- To give you a good quote on your land, we have to do a survey on it.
- Independent agencies are surveying the effects of the tornado.
- This survey made among 18-year-olds yields surprising results.
- We’re going to have to survey your car before giving you an exact price.
- Surveys were conducted to determine what could be built on the property.
How Do You Spell Survey?
Spelling survey is not that difficult, as it doesn’t have any unspelled words in the middle like the synonymous questionnaire.
The phonetic transcription of survey is sUHR-vay.
The word survey means to consider the elements or qualities of something with respect to general or careful inspection. Spelling the word is quite simple — it’s s-u-r-v-e-y.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…