When you write something in English, spelling out numbers can be tricky. Do you need to write it with digits or words? Well, it all depends on the context. We will take an in-depth look at this question.
INK will make sure your text is free of grammar mistakes
Today, we are going to take a look this question: how to spell 400? At the end of this you will know the correct manner to write down numbers when you are writing.
Do You Spell Out The Numbers in Sentences?
English rules regarding this matter can be a little confusing. To be perfectly honest, there aren’t any rules in place for how to use digits. In most cases, you can use words, or the digits. We can follow some common sense rules when it comes to numerals, however.
Here are some rules of thumb you can follow when it comes to numerals.
- Try not to write down numbers bigger than a hundred. According to this rule, we would write 400 as-is, not four hundred.
- Whenever you’re dealing with decimals, use digits.
- In the event of two numbers in a row, use digits for the one number and text for the other. This will help your readers to overcome any confusion.
- You can write centuries and decades either in text, or with numbers.
Here are some sentences to help you understand what we said above more clearly:
- The construction of the school cost more than thirty thousand four hundred dollars.
This isn’t correct. Since the cost to build this school is substantial, you should write this down in digits. Otherwise it is only going to create confusion.
- The consruction of the school cost more than $30,400.
The reader can see the whole amount without having to engage in mental gymnastics because this version is much more accessible.
- Experts project the year-on-year inflation to be nine point five percent.
You should also avoid using this form. Here is the best example:
- Experts project the year-on-year inflation to be 9.5%.
Centuries & Decades
Let’s take a look at another example, this time with centuries and decades.
- I can’t believe we used leaded gasoline until the nineties.
- I can’t believe we used leaded gasoline until the ’90s.
Both of these sentences are correct, you can either spell decades out with words, or use digits.
When you mention money, make sure you either mention the currency sign or its name. Don’t include both of them together.
- I have $250 dollars in my pocket.
Since you have used the dollar sign, using the word “dollar” again is unnecessary. Either use the word, or the sign. Not both of them.
- I have $250 in my pocket.
- I have 250 dollars in my pocket.
Although we mentioned decimals before, when we talk about money it is a bit different. If we are talking about cents, instead of dollars, spell out the whole thing.
- The bus fare was $0.50, but he had $0.30.
- The bus fare was fifty cents, but had thirty cents.
In time, writers use both methods.
- Check the time before you leave, the bus comes at 5:30.
- Check the time before you leave, the bus comes at half past five.
How To Spell 400? 400 in English Words
As we touched on above, bigger numbers shouldn’t be spelled using words.
However, if you do have to know the spelling, it is: Four Hundred.
You don’t have to use hyphens in the middle.
Many people find it difficult to spell numbers in sentences because they place it after the word. Hopefully, this article addresses your concerns.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
How to Improve Your Spelling As an Adult
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
How to Spell Yesterday — a Quick Spelling Guide
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
Can’t Spell Review? Read This Right Away!
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
How to Spell None — a Quick Spelling Guide
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
Having Some Issues? Correct Spelling of Issue!
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…
The Correct Way of Spelling Decide!
English spelling can sometimes seem confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. English, a Germanic language, consists…