In English, spelling problems may occasionally occur. English borrowed many words from other languages without any limitations.
INK will make sure your text is free of grammar mistakes
Over 60% of its vocabulary is retained in French, Latin, and Greek, which is a Germanic language. The same sound can be pronounced in several ways. Additionally, there has never been a concentrated effort to standardize and streamline spelling.
There is a strong international presence of the language, and it is also widely spoken among former colonies. This combination of factors could create a messy situation, at least spelling-wise.
That’s why we decided to dedicate today’s article to the word before. We will take a look at what this word means and its origins. We are also going to answer the question of how to spell before to help you in your future writing.
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
The Dictionary Definition of Before
We use before as an adverb or an adjective. It is the antonym (has the opposite meaning) of after. The meaning of the word is as follows:
- Ahead, or in advance.
- In front of, forward of something.
- In the jurisdiction or consideration of.
- A time that is earlier than now or the indicated time.
- Until the time that something happens.
- Putting something in a higher or more important position than another.
As always, just going by the definition will not be much help to us. The best way to understand the correct use of the word will be by looking at some example sentences. And that’s why we prepared the examples below to help you out.
Example Sentences Using The Word Before
- There is this rule that goes the letter I before E except C to make spelling easier for children. This rule has so many exceptions in spelling that you can’t call it a rule!
- You have to come before my brother arrives.
- Common sense dictates that you should look both ways before crossing the street.
- Did we spell words correctly before the Great Vowel Shift? Nobody knows.
- Good Lord, they came way before us!
- I am having trouble with the spelling of the word before!
- Before the Norman invasion, the spelling of most words was very different.
- Come on, spell it out before I get angrier.
- Before domestication, dogs were just like wolves and coyotes.
- You are going to have to testify before the court.
Now that we have an idea of the utilization of this word, let’s take a look at the question of how to spell before!
How to Spell Before?
Before is one of the words that are misspelled frequently, especially by students that are just beginning to learn the language. Common misspellings include:
- b4 (this is slang; nevertheless, it is still incorrect.)
The correct way of spelling the word is: before
The phonetic transcription of its pronunciation is bi-fOR.
Spelling the word “before” is a simple task. Once you master this skill, you can use the word in a sentence without spelling!
Explore All Spell Check Articles
How to Improve Your Spelling As an Adult
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
How to Spell Yesterday — a Quick Spelling Guide
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
Can’t Spell Review? Read This Right Away!
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
How to Spell None — a Quick Spelling Guide
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
Having Some Issues? Correct Spelling of Issue!
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…
The Correct Way of Spelling Decide!
English spelling can sometimes seem confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. English, a Germanic language, consists…