Sometimes, spelling problems can be encountered in English. The reason is that English borrowed many words from other languages without any limitations.
English, a Germanic language, retains over 60% of its vocabulary in French, Latin, and Greek. This means that the same sound can be pronounced in several ways.
There also has never been a concentrated effort toward standardizing and streamlining spelling. It is spoken worldwide, and its language differs among former colonial colonies as well.
All these factors combine to create a messy situation, at least spelling-wise. ESL and native speakers frequently misspell the word delivery. That’s why we decided to dedicate today’s article to the word delivery.
We will take a look at what this word means and its origins. We are also going to answer the question of how to spell delivery to help you in your future writing.
Definition of Delivery
The word delivery means the act of delivering something. It is the noun form of the verb, deliver. Deliver has the following meanings:
- To set something or someone free.
- Take and give to or leave for one another.
- To surrender, give in.
- To send, transmit, or make accessible to someone electronically.
- A synonym for giving birth.
- An act of achieving promised, desired, or expected results.
- Giving a speech or singing a song to an audience.
- Sending to an intended target or destination (something directed or directed)
Of course, as always, going solely by definition may not give us the full idea. Because of this, we prepared a list of sentences, including the word, to help you out!
- Oh my lord, deliver us from evil!
- The delivery man delivered the package in the morning.
- I received a read receipt, which means the delivery of the email went through.
- The delivery is set for the 8th of March.
- He had a lot of confidence, but he couldn’t deliver the goods.
- Pay for expedited delivery; we can’t afford to wait any longer!
How to Spell Delivery?
Delivery is one of those words that are commonly misspelled.
Phonetic transcription of delivery is di-lIv-uhr-ree.
To Wrap Up
Delivery — the act of bringing a message, parcel, or thing to a particular place, person, or group of people as quickly as possible. When you are spelling the word transportation, you are referring to delivery.
Explore All Spell Check Articles
Both native speakers and language learners find English spelling tough to master. Because English is a language that absorbs new…
There are times when English can seem confusing. Many of the words in English are freely borrowed from other languages.…
There are times when English spelling can appear confusing. English borrows many of its words from other languages. This Germanic…
Sometimes, English spelling can seem perplexing. Many of the words in English originated in other languages. Germanic language English consists…
English may seem confusing at times. Many of the words in English were freely borrowed from other languages. Languages such…